Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the deal. I recently bought a brand new v160 transmission from a Toyota dealership. Just received it this Monday. Unfortunately, during transit, the bellhousing cracked (from Mo to Hawaii). Given that it will be quite difficult to find another brand new v160, should I keep this new v160 and remove the bellhousing from my existing v160 and swap it out? Is this a bad idea? I don't know what to do. Or just send it back and get a refund? If there are more new v160 available, this wouldn't be a hard decision to make. But given current availability, safe to say I won't find another brand new one for long time. I just can't decide. I would really appreciate if you guys would shed some light on this matter :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey David,

Sorry to hear that. I think you can go back to the dealership and ask them for a partial refund, they would rather do that instead of dealing with a broken v160 that they can never sell.

nothing wrong with swapping over your old bell housing, but it just renders your old v160 useless, unless you find someone to buy the rest of it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input. Is removing bellhousing a matter of unbolting few bolts? Or is it much more involved? If so im worried because there isn't a capable transmission mechanic on this island

·
Registered
480 Posts
Why not just get them to send a new bellhousing to you instead? Assuming that can still be bought. Not your fault it got damaged they need to fix or give you some money back. Part # for it 33101-0w041

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't the bellhousing discontinued? I have to ask. That would be a much more simple solution. :) They are willing to give me full refund including my shipping cost, as soon as they receive the transmission back. Luckily I bought my transmission from ebay. I have Ebay buyer protection on my side :) Also, paid with paypal so I'm covered there as well. Clearly this was not my fault so seller is entitled for a full refund.

Why not just get them to send a new bellhousing to you instead? Assuming that can still be bought. Not your fault it got damaged they need to fix or give you some money back. Part # for it 33101-0w041

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree i would be ok with a new bell housing for compensation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There's a guy selling his supra with a bunch of parts...one of which is a brand new v160.
Look up boosted_94 , he's selling his built 94 supra in the FS section here. He's looking to sell it as a package, but is taking offers.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input. Is removing bellhousing a matter of unbolting few bolts? Or is it much more involved? If so im worried because there isn't a capable transmission mechanic on this island
I'm not expert in this. it shoudn't be much different than any other manual gear box, any transmission shop should be able to do it. the main gear box is in the rear half section, so removing the bell housing doesn't really touch anything internally...

the v160 taken apart looks like this

from this post - http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?692812-V160-Getrag-Rebuild-Process-From-Start-to-Finish-(tech-info-and-many-pictures)

·
Registered
362 Posts
If it were me, I would ask for a full refund and send it back. Or have them do an insurance claim with the shippers. Bell housings don't just crack from being bumped around on a truck in transit. It either fell off the back of a truck (4 ft drop) or was hit with a forklift in a warehouse. Chances are, the rest of the transmission is just fine. But that isn't a risk I would be willing to take with such an expensive part. Just my 2 cents. (I own a trucking company and know what happens to freight)

Don't these transmissions come fully crated when purchased new?

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,331 Posts
Given that you purchased it on Ebay and not the dealer, what are the changes that the housing was not cracked before it was shipped? Like previously mentioned, its not that easy to crack the case, they must have done something to damage it this way.

Personally I would get a full refund and buy another one. Are they all discontinued, pretty sure I seen Titan selling a new one.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
If it were me, I would ask for a full refund and send it back. Or have them do an insurance claim with the shippers. Bell housings don't just crack from being bumped around on a truck in transit. It either fell off the back of a truck (4 ft drop) or was hit with a forklift in a warehouse. Chances are, the rest of the transmission is just fine. But that isn't a risk I would be willing to take with such an expensive part. Just my 2 cents. (I own a trucking company and know what happens to freight)

Don't these transmissions come fully crated when purchased new?
This...not worth the headache. What if the input shaft is slightly bent, etc, ect...

·
Banned
12 Posts
Seeing that v160 is Discontinued I would keep the brand new trans and either swap the bell housing or try to have them send you a new bell housing. Also there are FB groups that sell supra parts and there are a couple v160 on them as we speak. MKIV supras for sale parts for sale is one of them. Along with supra and 2jz discussion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts