Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Supra372
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Im putting together my first E-85 fuel system. I have been doing some research, and still cannot find the answers I am looking for.

I am not looking for anything extreme! Im just trying to put together the basic E-85 fuel system that will support up to 28-30psi.

I have the aem v2 with a full fuel system on my supra now.

What im trying to figure out is.. I have dual walbros in tank now, can I just add another walbro to make it triple walbro in tank, and run bigger injectors like 1600cc..?!

Some people say walbro's will not work with E-85, and some people are saying walbro's work fine with E-85..

Is it okay to use the walbro's with E-85??

Will triple walbro's in tank support 750-800whp?

My max HP goal is 750-800whp

·
Registered
679 Posts
When I was planning my single turbo setup last year I spoke to different folks and found that the Walbros are not meant to be run on E85 (at least at the time), as the rubber material in the pumps swell when exposed to high contents of ethanol. I was also told the same about the Bosch 044. Many, however, have had great success with E85 fuel with both Bosch and Walbros, so you can't argue the facts.

Triple walbros should support well over 800rwhp in tank, and for your goals you might even get away with the two walbros you are running now.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If you plan on changing the pumps anyway, also check out the Aeromotive 340 Stealth in-tank fuel pump. Its similar in size / physical dimensions to the GSS341 Walbros but the Aeromotive Stealth pump flows 340lph at the same pressure the Walbros flow 255lph. One of the guys at Titan have tested the pump and was happy with it. I believe it retails for about U$170.00.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Check out DeatschWerks in tank fuel pumps, they are designed to use with E-85 and have so far had good results from what I've heard. I just installed two of them myself and can report back in a few weeks when my build is done..

http://www.deatschwerks.com/fuel-pump-tech/

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've been using wlaboros as well with no problem in E85 so you will be fine there. twin pumps fall off around 630whp on E85 (Land and Sea dyno) so you'd need to get more flow to make 800rwhp. I do not want to add another pump, so Ill be changing to a big single personally.

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,252 Posts
There seems to be conflicting information on E85 and its wear characteristics. I will see if I can find that thread on a different forum where an E85 user sent his "sludge" to a laboratory for testing to find out it contained no rubber.

Granted, if I was designing a setup, I would go with E85 safe things.

Its a gamble because either way, with triple pumps, if one fails, the car could go lean and have some really bad consequences.

·
Supra372
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im getting conflicting answers from you guys! Either the walbro's are compatible or not? Which is it? A member just PM me saying, he has been using triple walbro in tanks for almost 20k with NO PROBLEMS!

If that's the case, why waste the extra money in changing the fuel pumps and the walbro's will work fine?

·
serbian by blood!!!
1,675 Posts
YES you can use them for your setup.. but chances are they gonna give out well before stock denso will.. I'm guessing you will have two tunes for e85 & premium, so it should be fine unless you are planing on running ethanol 24/7

·
"Granite"
3,112 Posts
I've heard from a couple of E85 users the walbro's and Denso's work with e85 great for awhile, but will fail significantly faster then pumps that are made for Ethanol, and the magic number I'm hearing is jumping a lil, from just over a year, to just under 2 years, so I guess it all depends on how much you like dropping you tank to install new pumps, if it were me, which it will be soon, I'd go with the pumps made for E85

·
Supra372
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been using wlaboros as well with no problem in E85 so you will be fine there. twin pumps fall off around 630whp on E85 (Land and Sea dyno) so you'd need to get more flow to make 800rwhp. I do not want to add another pump, so Ill be changing to a big single personally.
Can be more specific also.. How long have you been using walbro's on E-85? How often do you drive your car? What does your fuel system consist of? How much boost?

·
Registered
227 Posts
i have dual walbros in my setup with 1350s. I have made 850 rwhp this is also through a th400 setup. I however would not do 3 walbros because it adds a signifigant amount of heat to fuel. If i were you i would use 2 walbros or one external pump. But beware externals are LOUD. My buddy has 2 elimantor pumps on his cobra, hope you have a loud stereo if you wanna drown them out. btw i am on e85. good luck

·
Supra372
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you are so concerned, why not take a few minutes and call the folks at walbro, done deal. personally, i dont take the word of anyone as fact, i do my own research, which, generally consists of contacting the manufacturer.

I have already contacted them. They indicated to me, walbro fuel pump are NOT compatible with any E-85 fuel systems! We know that's not true though, because several members here has been successful with walbro on there E-85 fuel system.

·
Blood for Blood
8,321 Posts
I have already contacted them. They indicated to me, walbro fuel pump are NOT compatible with any E-85 fuel systems! We know that's not true though, because several members here has been successful with walbro on there E-85 fuel system.
^ I am with Josh on this... I go by what the manufacturer says the part is designed to do. Just because it works for while or longer does not mean it will be a problem or an issue further down the road. Also the doubt you have now will never go away unless you use E85 pumps.

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
I too use 2 intank walbro running on E85.
I've been using them for 2 years now with no issues so far.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts