Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What backspacing are you using? I've heard you're supposed to run 7.5" BS, but the only rim I can find is a draglite w/ that BS. I've seen cars w/ Prostars on them, which supposedly come in 6.5" only. What's the deal? Will the tires rub or stick out w/ 6.5? Thanks-Nick

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think the 325/50/15 tires you need the 7.5 BS. I know the 6.5 BS wont work.

If you run a smaller tire then I believe you can run the 6.5 BS.

PM Philly Single though...he will be more help them I am.

Brett

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
if you've seen cars with weld pro star then there only 8 inches wide like the ones i had...15x8,5.5 inches of backspacing or they ran the 10 inch ones with 6.5 inches of back spacing and modified there 1/4 panels..aside from something custom(bogart,monoque) your only 10 inch wide option is the draglite or weld makes the alumistar in a 15x10 with 7inches of backspacing which i figure will work since the center of the alumistar is physically thinner then the prostrar or draglite, which will move the whole wheel in about a 1/2 inch, which makes up for the 1/2 inch of missing backspacing...

i'm about to change my set up to these..
front wheels..
and these are my 2 options for back wheels right now..

i was gonna go with an alumistar rear wheel too, but both of thoses bogarts i posted go better with the front alumistar in my opinion and will cost me less...

jay

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jaynite said:
if you've seen cars with weld pro star then there only 8 inches wide like the ones i had...15x8,5.5 inches of backspacing or they ran the 10 inch ones with 6.5 inches of back spacing and modified there 1/4 panels..aside from something custom(bogart,monoque) your only 10 inch wide option is the draglite or weld makes the alumistar in a 15x10 with 7inches of backspacing which i figure will work since the center of the alumistar is physically thinner then the prostrar or draglite, which will move the whole wheel in about a 1/2 inch, which makes up for the 1/2 inch of missing backspacing...

i'm about to change my set up to these..
i was gonna go with an alumistar rear wheel too, but both of thoses bogarts i posted go better with the front alumistar in my opinion and will cost me less...

jay
Ah, Didn't realize Alumnastars came in 7" b.s. I was thinking along the lines of you and thinking a thinner wheel would fit differently, but when you really think about it, backspacing is backspacing and no matter how thick the wheel is, the back of the wheel is what counts because that's what sits on the axle flange. BTW, Bogarts are cheaper than alumnastars? Didn't realize that. I guess I'll still be looking for used draglites... :dunno:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm almost positive Marko runs Alumnastars on his car too.

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
after looking on welds website i think my supplier might have misinformed me..i didnt see a 15x10 with 7 inches of backspacing...

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
So, lemme get this strait. a 15X10 w/ 6.5bs will work on our cars(forget clearing the brakes, im talking about actually fitting)?
What about the fronts? What bs do you need with the 15X3.5's? The normal 1.5bs work on those as well?

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
slither said:
So, lemme get this strait. a 15X10 w/ 6.5bs will work on our cars(forget clearing the brakes, im talking about actually fitting)?
What about the fronts? What bs do you need with the 15X3.5's? The normal 1.5bs work on those as well?
6.5 will most likey not work.. and also keep in mind i'm running na brakes.. without them you aren't getting a 15 inch wheel on the car..15x10 with 7.5 inches of backspacing is ideal, all i did was very slight grinding to my calipers..

as far as the fronts go, you can do a search for phillysingle and see his set up..but his front wheels stick out ... the alumistars i posted above will be flush with my fenders when i'm done,there 15x3.5 w/ 2.25 backspacing,you'll need a spacers to run these and have to do some grinding to the calipers...

if i keep my car i will just fabricate mounts so i can run a wilwood thin street brakes most likely.. our rotors are 1.25 thick, i believe wilwood makes .75 and .81 thick vented(non solid rotors) which would drop some weight off the car, probably stop better then it does with the na brakes and give me more clearance and the option to run various wheels if i choose to..

jay

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Jay, thats some interesting info. However, bogart makes big and littles specificly for large brake cars. They make a set to fit over the cobra brakes front and rear in 15" size wheels. The cobra's run 13" front brakes, do you know what size the supra's have?

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
slither said:
Jay, thats some interesting info. However, bogart makes big and littles specificly for large brake cars. They make a set to fit over the cobra brakes front and rear in 15" size wheels. The cobra's run 13" front brakes, do you know what size the supra's have?

welll i have dealt with a guy who is very close with bogart as a distibuter and he wanted no part of making wheels to fit over the tt brakes.. i just gave him the measurements of my front na brake and he said he could make me a wheel, but it would stick out past the fender .... i was gonna get bogarts all around... the reason these front alumistars will work with a spacer and not stick out is because the center(spokes) aren't flat..there angle to the outside of the car..bogarts and the other welds are flat(straight up and down)also, bogart is most like making 16's for large braked cars, which i didnt want..

i've been going at this on and off for a month trying to get a wheel that wont stick out and make my life easy by not requiring me to do the custom brake set up right now.. sooner or later i'll do the brakes, i just didnt want to be bothered with it right now..

jay

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Jay, there is a guy on my local board who has a set of bogarts specificly for his 01 cobra(large 13" brakes). bogart made these wheels just for a car with large brakes and are 15's
He is selling them also, if you want, i can see if he will let me try them on my car to give you an idea of how/if they will fit. Here is the cobra with those 15" bogarts. Here is the pic.
Also, attached is a pic of a cobra i modded about a year ago with wheels/tires that everyone said would not fit. Where theres a will, theres a way :D ps, i ground the shit outa my front calipers and the banjo bolt on the rear. Wheels were centerline warriors, 15X3.5 front, 15X10 rear. Tires were the normal skinny's up front, and HUGE 28X13.50 outback on stock rear with "massaged" fenderwells :p. Needless to say, not another millimeter of tire would fit on the rear, but had everyone not said "they want fit, your wasting your time" I probably would have went with 28X11.50's or something, kinda pays off being hard headed as hell sometimes. As you can tell, I too am thinking of selling my bling wheels and going with 15 inchers since afterall, my goal with the car is to go fast first, and look good second. Below is that pic of the cobra

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
John H said:

On the Weld Site (which I think sucks now) the pdf catalog shows those as being Alumistar 2.0s. But I thought the 2.0s were 2-piece with bolts and that is not. I couldn't find anyone selling the non 2.0s. I only checked Summit and Jegs and this is the pic they show of the 2.0 front runner

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/product/item_image.d2w/report?prrfnbr=29481

John H

they only make the fronts in this one piece design, not the rears... they also make the fronts in the multi piece wheel with the bolts, but there a different part number...heres the part number for the ones above...
Weld Racing Aluma Star 2.0 - 788 Series Wheel - Aluma Star 2.0-788 Series Front Wheel
Size: 15'' x 3-1/2''
Rear Spacing: 2-1/4''
Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2''
927-788-15202 $361.99
keep in mind i'm having to run a .9xx spacer and ground the top outer edge of my calipers to a nice radius to make these clear, but because the center of this wheel is thin they are still under the fender with the large spacer... i'm not really concern or worried about using a spacer of this size since i have moroso studs on my car all around and i will have the spacer made to be hubcentric and might have it madea a little thicker then i need and have it turned down and stepped on the outside so my wheel fits on it like a hubsentric wheel would..

jay

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
i saw these on the front of carls car, which is what made me decide to see how they fit...

and i think thats a 15x10 with 6.5 inches of backspacing on the back of this car, as you can see it doesn't fit right... i believe he said he put a customers mustang wheel on the car to test fitment and take the pics, then wound up putting the appropriate wheels out back..
jay

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
slither said:
Jay, there is a guy on my local board who has a set of bogarts specificly for his 01 cobra(large 13" brakes). bogart made these wheels just for a car with large brakes and are 15's
He is selling them also, if you want, i can see if he will let me try them on my car to give you an idea of how/if they will fit. Here is the cobra with those 15" bogarts. Here is the pic.
Also, attached is a pic of a cobra i modded about a year ago with wheels/tires that everyone said would not fit. Where theres a will, theres a way :D ps, i ground the shit outa my front calipers and the banjo bolt on the rear. Wheels were centerline warriors, 15X3.5 front, 15X10 rear. Tires were the normal skinny's up front, and HUGE 28X13.50 outback on stock rear with "massaged" fenderwells :p. Needless to say, not another millimeter of tire would fit on the rear, but had everyone not said "they want fit, your wasting your time" I probably would have went with 28X11.50's or something, kinda pays off being hard headed as hell sometimes. As you can tell, I too am thinking of selling my bling wheels and going with 15 inchers since afterall, my goal with the car is to go fast first, and look good second. Below is that pic of the cobra
now that i think about it, my guy did say they use a special center to make the cobra wheels in a 15...i dont think cobras have brakes as larger as the tt brakes..even if the rotor diameter is the same tt caliper are monsters...like i said, i sent him the dimensions of my front na brakes and he said he could make the wheel, but it would stick out, which i dont want... try putting those cobra wheel on your car and see whats up..

our issue isnt tire clearance on the tubs like you ran into with that red mustang, its getting the right backspacing,spacer size and inner wheel diameter to work with the tt or na brakes..with the tt brakes i dont see it happening, with the na brakes there are a few options and some of them will stick out..

jay

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree w/ the calipers being the main hurdle. The problem w/ most drag wheels is that the back is completely flat. The calipers stick out past the hub so far they always pose a problem, unless you have a wheel like a ccw, where the spokes curl out and come back in, that's the only way they can be made to clear the front TT brakes, and you still have to use a spacer. Center Line convo pros have spokes that lead out as you go away from the center of the wheel, but of course they don't make the right backspacing for the rear. BTW, anyone know what the weight difference is between a draglite and an alumnastar?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
jaynite said:
keep in mind i'm having to run a .9xx spacer and ground the top outer edge of my calipers to a nice radius to make these clear
.9xx? As in 0.9+ inches?

I notice these are about 3x the price of the Draglite fronts. What are the models and prices of the Bogart rears? Any clue on the weight differences front and rear vs Draglites? Sad to get a light wheel then mount up some heavy drag radials and not be able to drive to the track on them anymore.

John H

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
John H said:
.9xx? As in 0.9+ inches?

I notice these are about 3x the price of the Draglite fronts. What are the models and prices of the Bogart rears? Any clue on the weight differences front and rear vs Draglites? Sad to get a light wheel then mount up some heavy drag radials and not be able to drive to the track on them anymore.

John H
yes.9xx inches.lol.. thats why i said the spacer doesn't bother me since i have long studs..i dont have a draglite laying around to weigh, but i will weigh these amumistars before i mount some tires on them...

the bogarts above are the rt's and bolted rt's.. as far as pricing i get them for a good price through the guy i spoke of above, if you want his website i will pm it to you...

my main concern isnt the weight as much as a wheel that wont stick out.. i hate things that dont look right.. i will drive with these wheels on the street.. will I do cross country trips, no... unless you kill pot holes or try to take turns at 90mph i dont see why you cant drive on the street with these, even prostars and draglites say right on them"not for street use" or "for drag race use only" :dunno:
keep in mind i dont plan on running a front runner or bias ply tire up front either, i'm putting a radial "pep boys tire" on them.lol..

also, as of right now i might be putting a et streets on my back wheels(once i decide which wheels i'm getting)... my car has gone plenty fast on 17 inch radials, nittos at that... so the only real use for thses wheel will be if i juice my car at some point or if i have a street race and i deffinetly need the car to hook..

jay

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Yea, the calipers are the greatest obsticle with the cobra's also. Does anyone know what size brakes they are? The cobra's use very beefy PBR calipers

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
my spacers are finished..now i just need some front tires and i will take pics of everything mounted soon...i even had the spacer cut to match the shape of the wheel so you wont notice them...

jay

1 - 20 of 31 Posts