Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Fly Navy
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over on another board, we were discussing this cherry 1st-gen Camaro for sale on our favorite auction site, with a 2JZ. (link here) Being a General Motors board, of course a lot of hate got thrown out at the powerplant, as you might imagine.

One of the main arguments coming out of the thread is how this engine is a "grenade" and liable to self-destruct at any moment. Some example posts from the one user:

I know; the laws of physics are suspended when the engine is made by Toyota but all these kinds of engines are is a lot of talk and a really short life.

This engine has more horsepower per liter than the engine in a Formula 1 car. The longest a Formula 1 engine is run before it is rebuilt is 700km. Granted, this engine isn't operating at full output 100% of the time but it's maximum useful life is probably less than 10,000 miles. An engine with this kind of power output produces 100,000 BTU/minute and the exhaust and cooling systems have to be able to deal with that. The engine was never designed to reject that kind of heat so operating at maximum output the engine is literally unable to get rid of the heat - the castings are too thick and the cooling system volume and flow (Designed for a passenger car) are in a continuous state of being overtaxed. It's a neat curiosity and that's about it.
Love the hp/liter argument there. :D

Another gem:
A grenade is still a grenade. I've made 500+ Horsepower from a junkyard Oldsmobile 455 that had 150,000 miles on it by sticking a nitrous system on it. The engine already had over 400 horsepower so a simple plate system tuned to the lowest setting is enough to get 500 horsepower. Big deal. It's still a bomb and it's burning at both ends. I gave you all the valid reasons for why these engines are so short-lived (and you know they are) and you still deny that the laws of physics and thermodynamics exist.
So what I'd like to hear from you guys is practical experience in the form of, "Hey, I drive a 500+ rwhp Supra, here's the setup, and here's how long I've been driving it." Since apparently you guys are all riding on ticking timebombs, let's hear about it. :facesjump

· Supraddict
1,745 Posts
Send them this link:

http://sportcompactcar.automotive.com/67204/0508-sccp-mvp-motorsports-1994-toyota-supra/index.html

Its from the August '06 SCC featuring 4 big power Supras. This article is on Dusty's car, a 1,089rwhp, 166k mile (at the time of that article) daily driver.

Do they have any knowledge about how overbuilt the 2JZ is for its 320hp factory rating? Or just how important a good tune is? For fun, ask them how TT Vipers or s/c'ed big block muscle cars are able to survive things like the Hot Rod Power Tour...

· Fly Navy
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
His comment on Dusty's car... Dusty, PUH-LEASE chime in. LOL.
I see a magazine article about a car with an engine that is packed with high dollar internals and has been in and out of the car multiple times in it's 100,000 mile+ journey for repairs.
Let me say it again. It's physically impossible for an engine with that displacement, a design created to be used in a passenger car application, and stock internals to survive anything like what a typical driver would consider a useful length of time when making that kind of power. And even with expensive aftermarket pistons, connecting rods, and crankshaft, this particular example has been dissassembled many times.
:lol:

· ex BPU'er
5,973 Posts
Over on another board, we were discussing this cherry 1st-gen Camaro for sale on our favorite auction site, with a 2JZ. (link here) Being a General Motors board, of course a lot of hate got thrown out at the powerplant, as you might imagine.

One of the main arguments coming out of the thread is how this engine is a "grenade" and liable to self-destruct at any moment. Some example posts from the one user:

Love the hp/liter argument there. :D

Another gem:

So what I'd like to hear from you guys is practical experience in the form of, "Hey, I drive a 500+ rwhp Supra, here's the setup, and here's how long I've been driving it." Since apparently you guys are all riding on ticking timebombs, let's hear about it. :facesjump
Oh god. I'm so sick of these ignorant pricks. I have a friend like that but all he does is talk shit.

· Pays Cash, No Questions
4,704 Posts
Facts (from my car):

It has 60,000 miles on it, and is 12 years old.
It has been single turbo for 3 years.
I actively track the car, at 515WHP (and I don't mean dragstrip, I mean track days).
The car sees 7,500RPM, elevated oil temps, and long-durations as far as load/boost are concerned.
I can drive the car to work, run errands, etc...
The car has A/C, power steering, etc... and is a a full-interior car with leather.
The engine has nearly perfect leakdown, doesn't kill oil, and idles/drives as a stock car when not in boost.

My last car did all of these, this car does all of these, and the car afterwards (if I buy another to complement this one) will do all of those.

I've got pretty extensive experience with pushrods, owning V8 cars for years (and still have my 1970 Cutlass 442 W30), but when I say, "This motor can take the abuse, and 500WHP is nothing", I mean it. And, many (including myself) have proven it...

(post that)

· Boost Junkie
15,154 Posts
1993.5 (17 years old)
116,120 miles on it as of this morning
I hit 25psi (625whp) multiple times on the way to work this morning and sustained it to pulls upward of 140mph.
Took the long way and got there quicker than when I take the short way in the Camry:)

These guys are clueless.

Steve

· Pays Cash, No Questions
4,704 Posts
Hold on, Steve! It rained up there, right? RIGHT?!?! Did you drive it in the rain?

· Hardtopper
14,959 Posts
A great example of an old school Supra making great power is my buddy Pete who is making OVER 850rwhp to this day since before 2003.

Here is his profile from 2003... motor has NEVER come out of car.
http://www.t04r.com/member.php?show=peter.ibrahim

Those guys are completely clueless and are used to their hunk of shit cars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.