Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well lastnight I decided to take the Supra out for a lil drive and all was well until I decided to go home. Earlier in the day I took out the floor mats to clean them and put in some old crappy ones that realy dont fit well but I was only for a day until the others could dry and it's only floor mats... so I thought..

When I turned onto my street ( roads are still very cold and I have fairly worn summer tires on because I dont have my good wheels installed ) I gave it a lil shot of gas but nothing to crazy just to flick the car a lil ( my road was TOTALLY EMPTY otherwise i wouldnt have done that )...... well the floor mat hooked the pedal and kept it at 1/2 throttle, in a STUPID panic i tried to flick the mat off the pedal and that just slammed it down. So now I'm sideways at WOT on a slick road with NO control of the throttle. I managed to do a few fishtails to avoid 2 potential collisions with the curb but the 3rd attempt was not so successful. I smashed into the curb breaking my front rim and denting my rear, and the front has some nasty positive camber to it / :(

I'm going to have a good friend of mine who is a mechanic come and assess the damage done.. would any of you guys have any idea what all I could have done. I'm VERY sure the lower control arms are F'ed but besides that I honestly dont know what else has been done, anyone have any input besides the obvious dont drive like a jackass in crap conditions.

What a S**T night... and to make matters worse it's nicer weather today than it has been the whole time I have had my car out :(

Chris

·
Registered
782 Posts
This happened with my Z once the only thing that came out of it was a bent control arm bent rims with flats on them. I doubt anything else could of happened but I'm not to sure how fast you hit the curb and at what angle

·
Banned
2,624 Posts
Alignment....???

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
this happened to me one time after a high speed pull....i let off the gas and pressed the clutch and noticed the rpms were still bouncing off the rev limiter...i reached down and yanked the floor mat back and i was good..but definitely quite a scare at 140+ mph...
I usually dont just press the clutch in at those speeds, but it felt like the car wasnt decelerating when i let off the gas...then i noticed why once i stepped on the clutch..

this also happened to me like 10 years ago when i first got my license...i had a ford explorer for my first car and being the stupid newbie driver i was i always had the urge to push my foot to the floor....one time i did this and the pedal got stuck ..it was in a 35 mph zone and i was speeding towards a car right in front of me as i was slamming on the brakes and nothing was happening..finally i realized what was happening and i pulled the mat out only to stop inches from the person in front of me...

so dont worry man..we all do stupid shit at one time or another...it can be fixed...just be glad you didnt twist the whole car into a ball of metal...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ouch, the positive camber is in the front or the rear? With the force that bent the rims, I would say you have some bent suspension arms. Hope it's not too bad, glad you are OK!

·
D-Bag
560 Posts
Wow scary situation

Same thing happened to me, i threw it in neutal and shut her down, just got to remember to steer well as you will lose power steering and braking

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words guys, I did push in the clutch but I let my " I'm an awesome driver" ego take over. I figured I would straighten it out then just shut it down... needless to say everything did not go according to plan, when I figured that there was NO WAY in hell i was going to gain control and decided to push in the clutch it was way too late I was headed at the curb and up and over.

I had enough sense to attempt to straighten the wheels as much as possible so the tire would cushion the blow but it still was fatal for the rim. I'm not a newb driver but I'm not Ken Block either, I have been driving and "playing" with high HP cars before but HOLY S**T the Supra was just an animal, I know not being able to control the throttle had ALOT to do with it but DAMNIT. I have never been in a car that can get so violent so fast.... live and learn I guess, just hope this screw up wont break the bank.

I'll post pics if I can later tonight so everyone can get a better idea of the damage.

Chris

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
bummer hope its not to bad !

·
Registered
275 Posts
for future reference (though apparently not the case in that ford explorer!) brakes are designed to be able to stop a car EVEN AT WOT. If at any point you get that "oh shit, I have no control" feeling and are not on a wide open area where spinning out wont hit anything, apply them or even slam them. a little brake pad wear is gonna be cheaper than a rim :( best of luck, hope the damage isnt bad

·
Blood for Blood
8,323 Posts
if you have pos on the front its a lower control arm should only be about 40 bucks used. and easy for you to put on yourself then go get an alignment and start from there.

·
...smell like cabbage
1,097 Posts
Yeah, I've had the Supra scare me a sometimes the way it breaks loose when the turbos hit in TTC. It can be a humbling experience.

It's good for you that if it was going to happen, it happened the way it did. Better than smashing into cars at a traffic light or not being able to stop and going into a busy intersection.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Similar thing happened to me in my 03 cobra throttle stuck before the entry of a turn so i just pushed the clutch in and turned the car off. Started it back up after a few seconds and slowly drove home. Definately a spare of the moment experience .
Hopefully you didnt do too much damage.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
To avoid this kind of potential problem, just a few years ago the track organizers/officials weren't saying this but last few times I was at open track days they tell you to remove your floor mats or they won't let you run. And they're getting more strict about removing all loose objects from the car before you go out on the track...including everything in your glove compartment and even from the armrest box between the seats.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did try to slam on the brakes and the clutch, but it was far to late I let my ego take over and well to say the least it has cost me. That and the road conditions like I said were not ideal by any means and the tires on the car are FAR from acceptable. not that any of those conditions are an excuse for the truth I was an idiot and shoud have used better judgement.

After it was over I was like WTF?? did that really just happen.... but as I felt the wheel/tire wobbling at 5KM/H I knew yup... it just really happend.
When I went back and inspected the scene ( and pick up a piece of my rim that snapped off ) I saw just how bad it COULD have been, there is a telephone pole just before the spot where I hit the curb. So I guess I can consider that luck... costly but lucky.

Just to give an example of how fast this happend, my GF was pulling into our driveway just down the street and noticed my car, by the time she shut her car off and got out she noticed my car "driving strange" down the street and when I pulled in she was like WTF I herd a loud car and tires WTF happend. I'm praying it looks worse than it is.

Chris

·
...smell like cabbage
1,097 Posts
It might not be as bad as you think. I was being an idiot in a Honda Element, doing really wide slides in the snow and didn't see a curb that was covered over. I slammed into it completely parallel to the rear wheel. The wheel was actually stuck under the car. It's AWD too so there was a bent axle on top of all the suspension damage. Despite having to replace everything as well as new sensors that were damaged the total only came to about $700.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW really, I could only wish to be that lucky. I seem to have this wonderful effect, when I do something I do it well lol.

·
Registered
114 Posts
sorry to hear this.. it sucks when stupid things happen.. hope it's not too bad..
let me know what you need, i have a complete cross member (minus TT calipers) sitting in the garage..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts