Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I saw that the Elite was going to have a true traction control I purchased one of the first units available in the USA and got it wired up. Their traction control has gone through multiple revisions over the last two years.....all of which leave something to be desired IMO.
They switched to a PID based system @ revision 2.07 and it sucks.

Has anyone actually successfully used this traction control? If so what configuration ended up working? I have tried it on multiple cars with different settings and it never pulls power smoothly and the PID system seems to be unresponsive.

For a band aid I have done a generic ignition correction table based on wheel slip and it works ok. I would just like to be able to use cylinder kill to get this done and be able to arm / disarm traction control with a switch instead of a laptop.

Please let me know if you have found a working solution.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
wow this is the reason I want to upgrade from my PS2000, sounds like it needs more development.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Mine pissed me off. Turned it off, which meant I had to zero it out since there is no ON/off setting on mine.
If i had DBW and motec, life would be way better lol

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow this is the reason I want to upgrade from my PS2000, sounds like it needs more development.
Its the reason that I upgraded from the PS2k and I still don't have traction control that can be enabled / disabled with a switch thats worth a damn. The sad part is that over the various firm ware revisions they have got some of it right but later removed those features and there really isn't a single firm ware that has it all. I have reached out to them about creating a custom firmware because to fix this would be so simple :(

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hmm, I am hoping this is just a random mishap. I just got my elite 2500 and am wanting traction control. Jay from Real Street seemed to think it would work. So I am basing off of what he told me. Hope it can get setup correctly.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, I am hoping this is just a random mishap. I just got my elite 2500 and am wanting traction control. Jay from Real Street seemed to think it would work. So I am basing off of what he told me. Hope it can get setup correctly.
It isn't a random mishap. I have tried this on multiple cars not just Supras at various power levels and it doesn't work on any of them. Haltech has acknowledged the PID but not bothered to fix it for about 2 years since I first brought it to their attention. I am yet to talk to anyone that is actually using their new firmware's traction control on a car making any power that it works with. Not saying it can't be done...just that I haven't seen it. The traction control was my main reason for buying the Elite and I am so frustrated with this entire process that I am strongly considering switching ECUs.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This is making me consider another standalone ECU, Ive never liked how my supra starts up with my E11v2-PS2000 . I think the only reason I stayed with them is the PnP Harness. I don't think I can afford a Pro EFI Unit at nearly 3500, ECU Master is less than 1/2 the price and has Traction control features that may be an alternative but the maps seem more basic.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is making me consider another standalone ECU,
The worst part about it is that the Elite is BAD ASS in so many regards and has worked great. But I have literally been letting them know about the trac issues for 2 years and given simple suggestions on how to fix it.....and no one seems to care.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what settings have you tried as far as the integral / proportional settings? What is it doing when you increase / decrease either or? I'm curious as I was looking into this system for another project

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just out of curiosity, what settings have you tried as far as the integral / proportional settings? What is it doing when you increase / decrease either or? I'm curious as I was looking into this system for another project
I have tried multiple combinations with integral and proportional. Since their PID number scaling is obviously way off I just started going up in 10% increments and then beating the hell out of the car. I deliberately have two cars with two different sets of tires that I have been testing on.

1) Mark IV Supra with R888's that is close to not holding the power
2) Z32 300ZX with Sumitomos on the back that aren't close to holding the power

I have played around with various PID settings on both cars and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The way it removes and adds power back in is jerky and unpredictable. I have tired all of the ramp in / out rates. And multiple combos of PID....nothing really seems to change anything.

The most frustrating part of this is that in their firmware 2.05.0 they had traction based on ignition retard and cylinder kill percentage and it work awesome! The problem was they hadn't given the user a switch to enable / disable the trac software so once it was on it involved a laptop to disable. I have emailed them and called the USA office offering to pay for a custom firmware that reverts the trac back to this system. Well see what happens.

The Elite really is a bad ass piece of hardware but the lack of trac control and some of the bugs are killing me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can choose desire wheel slippage per gear base on F/R wheel sensors, switch enable (to enable traction control), and even under what type of condition you want TC. and none seems to work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like issues with your PID tuning. I am an instrumentation technician for a living, so this stuff interests me naturally lol. When you say you are increasing it by 10% everytime, are you increasing your proportional / integral by themselves by 10% or both at the same time? I would try a high proportional at first and then tweak to integral until you're satisfied. I'll have to do some more research on the ECU though as I'm not sure if it's just the bad software PID tuning or case by case kind of deal.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
This is making me consider another standalone ECU, Ive never liked how my supra starts up with my E11v2-PS2000 . I think the only reason I stayed with them is the PnP Harness. I don't think I can afford a Pro EFI Unit at nearly 3500, ECU Master is less than 1/2 the price and has Traction control features that may be an alternative but the maps seem more basic.
I can tell you thats not an ecu , but a tune issue.

All Ive used in the past 12 years is mainly haltech on my cars, e11/ps2k/elite.

Ive never had a rough start and idle with these ecu's. infact I can walk out to my car in 35* weather on e85 and car fires up first crank every single time. Just my opinion .

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I can tell you thats not an ecu , but a tune issue.

All Ive used in the past 12 years is mainly haltech on my cars, e11/ps2k/elite.

Ive never had a rough start and idle with these ecu's. infact I can walk out to my car in 35* weather on e85 and car fires up first crank every single time. Just my opinion .
Thats nice to know. Thank you Naber.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like issues with your PID tuning. I am an instrumentation technician for a living, so this stuff interests me naturally lol. When you say you are increasing it by 10% everytime, are you increasing your proportional / integral by themselves by 10% or both at the same time? I would try a high proportional at first and then tweak to integral until you're satisfied. I'll have to do some more research on the ECU though as I'm not sure if it's just the bad software PID tuning or case by case kind of deal.
I have tried all of the above scenarios. Have you used a Haltech Elite 2500 traction control on a higher HP car with success? (not trying to be a dick...just that I want to know if anyone has actually done it)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have tried all of the above scenarios. Have you used a Haltech Elite 2500 traction control on a higher HP car with success? (not trying to be a dick...just that I want to know if anyone has actually done it)
I have not, and was looking into this ECU for a future build. Sounds troublesome for sure, just throwing options out there.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I want to say most of MADSUPRA88's cars have been 800+ easily.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to say most of MADSUPRA88's cars have been 800+ easily.
I am not saying that they don't....or that he isn't a talented Supra enthusiast or tuner. What I am asking is if anyone has working traction control setup on the newest firmware with the Haltech Elite 2500.

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
816 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I had actually talked with Wade about this very subject. I am staying tuned because I am going to be running the elite 2500 as well and very curious about this feature.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts