Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the kids to the beach yesterday in the Mrs' Suburban. While I was gone, she drove the Supra to take her mom shopping. She let it overheat & kept driving. Scratch one previously healthy ~70K mile 7M-GTE. I'm so pissed I can hardly see straight.

Thnx for letting me share.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Sorry to hear that Larry. No doubt the JZ kids will eat this one up..

What was the cause of the overheating?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
No way Larry! I dont believe you. actually I do. So what are the next plans for the super clean power blue machine?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Meh, it could be worse.

Sucks, but could be worse.

[size=-2]PS: Go 1JZ :p[/size]

·
Super Moderator
10,924 Posts
Oh man, that sucks! :(

·
Registered
657 Posts
That sucks, but you are from SoCal. Want some help pulling the engine? I'm in the SF Valley. Where are you located? I'll give a MKIII some love...

It has been MEGA hot here lately. I'd suspect one of a few things:

1.) Plugged cooling system. Maybe block passages (old supra, I'd say possibly).
2.) Plugged radiator (we can check it pretty easily).
3.) Plugged cooling lines (gunked up from engine rust, old engine that crapped out, etc.). Maybe the cooler has stuff in it. Who knows really. We can backflush it and check it.
4.) BGH. As much as the JZ people will bark at this, screw em. Once the engine is out you can diagnose pretty easily.

Don't sweat it. As long as you know how to turn a few wrenches, it'll be all good again. Plus, this time it'll be better than it was before. As long as you don't go wild, you might be able to fix it right for cheap. Or, if you want, you can go wild on the engine.

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
ah perspective, forgive her and count your blessings it's prob just pulling the head and a resurface, focus on all the good things about her and let this one ride........ the toungue lashing you already gave her is likely enuf

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
^:werd:
I'm only 20 and my fiance backed into my supra countless times, and it sits in tha garage under a cover...remember her positives and let that ish slide ;)

·
MK3 Owner For Life
1,822 Posts
My car started to overheat today also !!! I need to flush my cooling system and change my thermostat, hopefully that will cure it =/

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
Larry

Sorry to hear man. Really does suck, plus you know they'll never quite understand.

We're here for ya. git'r dun

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
That sucks Larry :( hopefully its not to bad... oh and happy fathers day :/

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
zoonwen said:
My car started to overheat today also !!! I need to flush my cooling system and change my thermostat, hopefully that will cure it =/
LOL am i going to have to replace your HG :p

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,263 Posts
ah that sucks larry...

Come on now stop the HG pain.. buy any engine but a M engine ;)

No but seriously that sucks, I think i may have poped my HG too.. I poped a coolant leak and had no choice but to drive 5 KM more, engine got REAL hot....

I hope it's fine I have to check it over tomarrow.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
i guess the million dollar question is...why did it overheat in the first place?

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Dont listen to these guys, thats terms for dismissal ;)

I dont know much about your motor Larry, but maybe its an opportunity to upgrade? Im willing to bet if the mrs. knows how mad you are she wouldnt argue with you changing ALL of the valvetrain she ruined... and whatever other stock parts she completely destroyed...

Tim

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
how long did she drive on it over heating? total f'd now or?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts