Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, after graduation, we're driving home and i'm really tired/sick so we all switch up and my mom drives my car. then, the deer happens and we hit it hard.... :( we finally make it home after being pulled over by some trouper who wanted to tell us one of the headlights was out (no crap, we hit a deer!). The initial estimate was a bit over 3,000 with more likely once they can actually open the hood (probably some radiator damage and such, but it's still working fine). Since i've never dealt with this before, i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about the insurance and such... right now it's not totaled, but it's about 90% of the way there. i know that since mom was driving it's her insurance/deductible and all, but what happens if they total it/what are the options? :dunno: i'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
get some pictures, i would get the parts from the forsale section and do the work myself it will be alot cheaper.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hmmm, your mom must have been going pretty fast to 90% total a Mk3 by hitting a deer. Post some pics so we can see how bad the damage is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, i put some pics up at http://www.nd.edu/~rcarpen1 56k beware...

speed was about 65 (the limit) before she slammed on the breaks, i don't know what it was when we hit, but the deer went flying down the road. luckily it was either female or didn't have antlers and it didn't come up over the hood.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
RaeRae said:
ok, i put some pics up at http://www.nd.edu/~rcarpen1 56k beware...

speed was about 65 (the limit) before she slammed on the breaks, i don't know what it was when we hit, but the deer went flying down the road. luckily it was either female or didn't have antlers and it didn't come up over the hood.
Your Supra badge has a mustache lol, doesn't look too bad, buy used parts and you will be able to fix it pretty cheap I am guessing. Later.

·
Back to boosting!
339 Posts
Uhh, dude, if that's 90% totalled, my car is 100% compactor material...dang talk about the wrong perspective. Doesn't look to be more than 1000 bux or so worth from the outside...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm just saying what the estimate was from the place the insurance company wanted it to go. i honestly have no idea how insurance works for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thats barely anything man. Just take the money the insurance money gives you to fix it and do it yourself. You can spend the rest on modding it :)

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
yeah when you said 90% totaled i thought maybe you hit a deer on steroids at 120mph :p should be much damage, new hood, front bumper and head lights. Shouldnt be much over 2k at most.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wondered how long it would be before someone said that! ;) I just hope insurance is willing to fix it or give me the money towards it, since i've become rather attached to that car! :-D

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
DTSupra30 said:
thatll buff right out

Matt

:lol: :lol: just like in family guy. its not that much damage, so they shouldnt write it off. but if they do you could always buy it back with the money they give you for it. P.S, i bet your supra was very nice before you hit the dear. looked really clean without the mustace on the supra emblem :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it was all stock and fairly clean. the last owner had it repainted: the new color was great, but they didn't do a good job and it's peeling to expose the old paint underneath. the tinting is also peeling and getting wavy, so i was planning on taking it off this summer. it kind of hurts to look at it all bent and broken, but i know it can be fixed and be as beautiful as ever! (maybe i can even get some other stuff done while it's in!)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey just be glad ur car doesnt look like this:

Saddens me every time I look at it :(. But you can prob pick up the hood, bumper, and headlight assemblies from a junk yard for less then $500. Then you just gotta paint the parts and ur set :)

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Yea dude, that's not very much damage. My suggestion is PMing one of the admins here so they can enable you to post on the for sale/wanted section. Lots of people have parts cars and can ship you the parts available for around the same price as at a junkyard, plus here you get pictures in andvance and help with installation or anything else you need. Trust me, that's not very much damage. I honestly doubt it's ANYTHING but cosmetic damage.

Ladmo on the other hand... :sadwavey:

·
Registered
542 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
Yea dude, that's not very much damage. My suggestion is PMing one of the admins here so they can enable you to post on the for sale/wanted section. Lots of people have parts cars and can ship you the parts available for around the same price as at a junkyard, plus here you get pictures in andvance and help with installation or anything else you need. Trust me, that's not very much damage. I honestly doubt it's ANYTHING but cosmetic damage.

Ladmo on the other hand... :sadwavey:
Haha, yea my car didnt fair to well against the car I hit. But its all good, thats what having a professional auto body painter for a dad is good for :D. But back onto the real subject, good luck on fixing that man :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i haven't seen a supra in this thread that has more than about $1000 worth of used parts damage. I had far worse than this and my car survived and is almost fixed for around $2500 or so in parts. your car is nothing, you're looking at a new hood, upper nosepiece (or whatever the thing is called) and a new headlight bulb, although the headlight itself looks like it may be ok. you might also need some quality crowbar time on the radiator support, but that is far from totalled. i think with paint, if you get lucky, you could do all of that for maybe $1500 at the most. a deer doesn't stand a chance against a supra. . .

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
here's what you should need:
Hood (didn't look closely at it-may be able to swing it)
front bumper (may be able to re-use old one, just pop out, and get new foam
headlight
paint

then spend the rest of the $3K on mods.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts