Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know what is the benefit of Hard IC Pipe? When puttin one in, does it increase proformance? or is it just to prevent boost leak?
Just want to know for my own good

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
composit pipes sweel under boost. Metal does not. Keeps pressure consistant, less prone to leaking, and looks better.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Better flow at higher boost pressures.
As noted less pressure loss to expanding hoses.
Looks are just a side benefit.
There is a school of thought that hard pipes improve lag, or decrease the time needed to fully fill the IC system. I think with larger turbos, this train of thought is overrated as the total volume difference due to hose expansion is pretty dang small compared to the total volume your turbo is putting out.
The plastic stock ones can be restrictive. (I gained 2 psi just from removing the lower alloy elbow, and the upper plastic "flat pipe". No other mods. And I have to say, along with the 2psi of boost, it made the car eager to run, and more responsive. (both of the pipes I replaced don't swell up, or expand under boost, but they did restrict flow.)
Later

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Improved flow is the biggest thing, as adjuster just noted. If you look at your stock pipes there's a lot of inconsistant pipe sizes and some of the angles are accordian flex stuff...these really hinder flow.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,095 Posts
Most will get a replacement LARGER 3000 pipe, as well as all the smaller inconsistent pipe diameters and angles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts