Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I am trying my best to learn everythign i can generally about cars
but also the NA supra.

Ive been reading alot this
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm

and how engine works and all that stuff.
But when i look at a picture of a real under hood NA supra. I can poitn out anything o.o....

can anyone plz help me out learning this stuff?
I want to become really knowledgeable with the NA supra

·
Speed limits = Guidelines
1,964 Posts
may be better if you put it in the form of an actual question or questions...learning everything about a car, well the best way to do that is to work on one in person

ask away...you can pull the pic up in "paint" and draw arrows to point to something

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok edited

The biggest problem that confuses me is that
when i look at a diagram of the internal combustion engine
it shows and poitns out the
Intake valve,Crankshaft,Exhaust valve.. etc.
but its just a lil cartoon diagram

when i look at a real udner the hood of a car
I cant see any of those..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how about just the
intakes intercoolers bov down pipe elbow pipe batterys coolant thing
and stuff
lol
sorry im such a noob
ahh =[.

·
1,964 Posts
how about just the
intakes intercoolers bov down pipe elbow pipe batterys coolant thing
and stuff
lol
sorry im such a noob
ahh =[.
this is an NA supra, you wont find intercools, bovs, or a down pipe on it...look at the TT for those or an NA convereted to NA-T( like mine:cool: )

to add words to the numbers on ur pic:

1. MAF - to let the engine know how much air is entering the intake
2. Cam Gear Cover - self-explanatory, under it ull find the gears/belt and u can see the front 2 spark plug boots
3. Coolant Return Hose - this is where all the coolant flows back into the radiator after going through the engine
4. Intake Y-Pipe - Creates a ram-air effect for an NA engine, also splits the air up on seperate sides on the butterfly valve in the intake manifold

ur not gonna see any thing that looks like those cartoon drawings under the hood unless someone were to put their whole engine on a bandsaw and cut it in half to get a cross-sectional view...its like looking at a diagram of the human heart and wondering why u can see it when someone lifts their shirt up

if u wanna learn about engines, a good(cheap) way is to take apart a small 2-stroke engine like a weed-wacker or chainsaw...they are the most basic form of internal combustion engines, a supra is not a learner car, too much crap on the engine that is not necessary for the engine to run...i first learned how engines work by working on atvs, rebuilt a bunch of atv engines, then i moved up to bigger/better things...getting a look inside an engine and seeing all the inner workings is just something that everyone should do, at least once...its pretty amazing to spin an engine by hand with the head off and see the piston(s) pumping away

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhhh i kinda get the basic idea..

Any ideas how to llearn all the stuff visible under the hood and what they do?
of a NA supra??? like articles or guides or smhtng

Without actaully waiting to get my car than gettign someone to teach me.

I want to learn everything before i get my car, so i have a basic idea of what everything is. then go from ther.

Much appreciation thank you!!

·
Top Secret
1993 NA-t MKIV & 1994 Single Turbo MKIV
523 Posts
best way to learn and know what and how it works is HANDS ON!

·
Time for change
6,866 Posts
^ no it's not. This guy is going to need to learn as much as he can before touching anything. I still learn all I can about things, and yes you can only go so far until you put your hands on something, but he is not even at square 1 yet.

It's best blade if you can find pictures of an engine in real life.

Start with this animation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v2dBiPtEqQ

Then find pictures of:

Engine block (inline cylinder configuration)
Crankshaft
Crank and rod bearings
Caps
Rods
Pistons
Wrist Pins
Water Pump
Cylinder head ( 4 valve per cylinder )
Cam gears
Valves
Keepers
Valve Springs
Retainers
Timing Chain
Cam Shafts
Cam Bearings
Valve cover
Lower intake manifold (in some configurations
Upper intake manifold
Throttle Body
Injectors
Fuel Rain
Crank Pulley
Idler Pulley
Alternator
Exhaust manifold
Im sure there are probably about 5 or 6 basic things I've forgotten to, but I'm drinking a beer, and watching Mythbusters... Sooo :]

These are all very basic items...

Watch the animations, keep watching them. You'll get an understanding.

I then suggest you go out, take a picture of an engine bay, and then try and label them. Post them up and we'll tell you what items you're correct on, and which you need help identifying.

You'll see a bunch of things like Emissions equipment which will look different from vehicle to vehicle. Power steering pump, sometimes air pumps (also emissions), master cylinder, slave cylinder, a ton of vacuum lines etc. You'll have to start somewhere...

·
1,964 Posts
yes, you can learn alot just researchin and reading...but books smarts will only get u so far...the real knowledge comes from gettin ur hands under the hood of a car( any car, doesnt have to be a supra)....80% of what I kno came from something breaking on a car and me having to learn about it to fix it

imagine trying to learn how to be a doctor just by studying a text book...it doesnt happen they all work as interns to get hands on practice

·
Time for change
6,866 Posts
Dude I just said that... Why would you try and dispute using a real TOOL, like the intrawebz like I suggested.

Did I state that somone could become a useful surgeon by studying books and the internet all life long? NO. You can't be a mechanic by reading either.

He is trying to figure out the difference b/t a valve and piston. Surely he can figure that out with some friggin text and animation.

Does the chump need to Grape Ape his way through a friggin junkyard motor to figure it out first? No.

·
Registered
582 Posts
the way i learned is by working with my dad on his cars wile i was growing up. i was Lucky my dad restored classic British sports cars and raced them. but still do all the work on your own car, and start with the small things like changing the oil and plugs and work your way up. also go to the book store and pick up a book about engines and read it, it can be about any type of engine they all work the same way, unless its a rotary (rx7). when i bought the cams for my supra a spent a year reading and looking on the Internet to find out everything i could. and i still do that. and if you really want to get your hands dirty and see how an engine works and goes together go to ebay and buy the cheepest crap engine you can find, make sure it is complete, and take it apart. then see if you can get it back together. you can find old used engines there for a couple hundred. another good way to learn about your car, once you get it, is to start racing, auto-cross, you will learn alot out there

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also want to learn about the Exhaust system

I have a basic idea of what it is but
i need it lil mroe detailed...
what is a cat?

And also is a midpipe the long piece of the exhaust system?

Ive been searchign but i cant find any answers . =[.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,412 Posts
yes, you can learn alot just researchin and reading...but books smarts will only get u so far...the real knowledge comes from gettin ur hands under the hood of a car( any car, doesnt have to be a supra)....80% of what I kno came from something breaking on a car and me having to learn about it to fix it

imagine trying to learn how to be a doctor just by studying a text book...it doesnt happen they all work as interns to get hands on practice
just like BEAU said.... (with no offense to the op ofcourse!) this man isnt even at square one. how can you possibly suggest he learn "hands on" if when he puts his "hands on the engine" he wont even know what he is holding or touching......:duno:

We all have been where you are right now man, maybe at different ages adn stages of life, but i really dont think it is ever too late to learn about how something works. Its just that the supra engine (or internal combustion engines in general) is something that most of us here know pretty well, so it is hard to imagine for most of us that some one doesnt know how it works, but really.....as simple as the concept is , it isnt all to easy to put your mind around the concept when yo udont have someone pointing you in the right direction and explaining things to you.

my father is a master mechanic and has been doing it since the age of like 14...so thankfully i was able to learn about all of this (with the help of how stuff works ofcourrse :)) at an early age.

here is a the basic of the most basic conceps you need to learn first:

an internal combustion engine harnesses the energy from combustion of air and gasoline. Using the CRANK SHAFT it uses that energy to turn the wheels of the car through a series of driveline componenets such as the gear box and differential.

now, the pictures that you see (videso/animations too) are all from INSIDE of the engine, meaning that you wont see it on the out side. Those components are positioned inside of the ENGINE BLOCK and CYLINDER HEAD> more exactly: the Crank Shaft, Piston and connecting rod make up the ENGINE BLOCK, while hte cam shafts and intake/exhaust vavles make up the CYLINDER Head. these two halfes are joined together with a set of studs, and are sealed by the HEAD GASKET, that keeps the coolant and your mixture of gas from escaping from between the two.

what else.... oh, well before you get into the technical stuff like MAF (mass air flow sensor) you should know that an engine operates likes this:

there are 4 stages (intake, compression, combustion and exhaust strokes)

on the intake stage, the cam shaft opens up the INTAKE valve and alows for the mixture to inter the cylinder (the piston is going down at this point) when the valve closes, the piston travels up and compresses the air, when it reaches a preset point, the SPARK PLUG ignites the mixture and pushes the piston downward, this is the COMBUSTION stroke. this is what essentially propells your car foward. it is like pushing down on a pedal of a bike, even thouh u are just pushing down, the CRANK turns that power, and makes it ROTATE, just like the crank in the car, then after this power goes through the chain and the selected gear on your bike, it makes the wheel turn, this is the same i nthe car, the transmission determines how much MORE it will make the driveshaft (or chain on bike) spin making the wheels turn.

after this, the piston travels up again and the exhaust valve opens to let out the used up gases (the exhaust gasses). these travel through the headers down to your CAT (catalytic converter) and Oxygen sensors. The CAT is packed with special material that essentialy "filters" the Carbo rich C02 gasses to make them less harmfull. The Oxygen sensor (02 sens.) reads how much oxygen is present to determine wheather or not the engine is operating and using the right "proportion" or air and fuel (air/fuel ratio). this gas then later exits out of the muffler, which does just that, muffles the sounds by using many separate chambers to allow the gas to slow down and expand at a controlled rate making it much quiter.

ok...i think thats about as much as i can type in one night, lol, gud luck with the exciting journey man, it feels really good when you actually can get a hang of how it works and what really goes on in there. Once you get the basics you get to learn about the little technical stuff that is essential to an engines efficient operation, such as ignition timing, valve overlap, compression ratios, air/fuel ratios, how cluctches and transmissions work, how the differential works, ect. :)

gud luck man

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whoahh thnx man!! for your timee =D
really appreciate it!

Now i need to study paitently and hard by the end of this year.
So i have an idea of how to take care of my car! =D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Umm
ok =]

What im trying to learn about as of right now is
the Intakes and exhaust system thing
lol

How do locate the intake manifold and exhaust manifold under the hood?
do they look the same or are they different?

Also when i see the engine bay of a SUPRA NA
Everything looks different from another cars engine bay.
Like i dont understand what the Big Y shaped thing is and where everything is located.. =/ siorry for the troublee

·
Registered
582 Posts
I also want to learn about the Exhaust system

I have a basic idea of what it is but
i need it lil mroe detailed...
what is a cat?

And also is a midpipe the long piece of the exhaust system?

Ive been searchign but i cant find any answers . =[.
the cat is there for emissions, cleans the air of co2 i believe. the supra has 2 of them one in the header and one in the mid pipe.
the layout of the exhaust system starting at the engine and and ending at the rear; there are three sections, first the header (bolts up to the head) second is the midpipe, last is the catback this includes the muffler
the catback is the long part at the rear of the car and the most commonly replaced part of the exhaust system. its called a catback because it bolts right up to the rear of the final cat.
the exhaust manifold is another name for the header. on the supra (looking from the front of the car) it is on the left side, probably covered by a heat shield, you will see six pipes that merge into one. you can see in the first pic.
the intake manifold is in the second pic. it is the silver piece that goes across the top of the engine. it starts with your filter (you cant see it in my pic, i have relocated mine to outside the engine bay) which normally be in the very front left side, then the maf (measures the amount of air coming into the engine) then the intake pipe,this is what most people replace, (mine is wrapped in the silver heat wrap) travels under the strut brace (with the red sticker on it) and connects to the throttle body, then the y pipe, then the intake pendulum and to the runners, which is were the injectors are also, and the runners bolt up to the right side of the head. the intake will look different in every car you see
i hope the pics help, there not the best out there

1 - 20 of 40 Posts