Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear alot of talk about the hard top supras.... Whats so good about em? just the fact that they are rare???

I love my targa and wouldnt trade it for any hard top... but im just wondering whats so special about em...

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
the weight savings, I'm guessing, is about as much as removing your HVAC. The hardtop doesn't need as much bracing, so it's also more stiff than the targa. Some more headroom in there as well.

To me, that extra 80 pound headstart is worth it. Especially when you want to get her down to the 3100s:)

They're also really rare. That's always a plus. Mine's a targa though:rolleyes:

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,572 Posts
Jaymes said:
Like he said, in addition to being more rare, they're lighter and stiffer.
You know when you go through a driveway at an angle and your whole dash creaks and flexes.Thats really bad for a car over and over. We dont have that.
In being more rare they will hold a higher value for longer.
Hardtop was mandatory when I bought my Supra.
Steve chime in here!

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
Come read my site!

http://www.suprahardtopregistry.com

They are stiffer and lighter and generally rarer...those who are enthusiastic about them would not buy targa cars. I've owned 1 targa and 2 hardtops and it's noticeable (particularly on higher mileage cars). I do know of some low mileage targas that don't creak that much, but they likely will over time.

For those of us seeking high performance at all costs, the hardtop is the best overall starting point that Toyota provided. :)

Steve T.

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
so since I'm most likely stuck with my targa, is there any logical way to turn my targa into a hardtop? Could I use a certain metal and weld it and actually save a little weight too??

I know it's been done before on racecars, but it would be nice to get some extra stiffness and weight savings...

billy

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
Keep in mind that the real weight savings is chassis bracing, which I have no idea if or how you could easily remove. The roof itself is not the majority of the weight, it's this additional chassis bracing that the targas get. More investigation is likely needed. :)

Steve T.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts