Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on suprafourms for a month or so now and I've picked up the vibe that hardtops in the US are as rare as rocking horse shit. Is this correct?
Here in the UK all you get is hard tops (obviously because it rains most of the time!! LOL) the only way to get a targa is to import.
Dunno what my point is now... I forgot...
:chicken:

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
stash said:
I've been on suprafourms for a month or so now and I've picked up the vibe that hardtops in the US are as rare as rocking horse shit. Is this correct?
Here in the UK all you get is hard tops (obviously because it rains most of the time!! LOL) the only way to get a targa is to import.
Dunno what my point is now... I forgot...
:chicken:
Im getting a hardtop ;)

·
I want to believe
1,536 Posts
What the heck would anyone want a hard top for?? My targa is a hard top when I want it to be and then in nice weather I can enjoy driving with the windows down and the top off.
-Paul

·
Registered
298 Posts
drjonez said:
except w/the top off (and ever w/it on) it wiggles like a worm.....those who drive (or want) hardtops are true drivers.....
Hehe thanks Doc ! ;)
1989 Turbo Red with light grey leather trim
5 spd
hardtop
no TEMS

:D

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Most of the 92's are hardtop or sunroof, very rare to see a 92 targa. 86.5 and 87 had lots of hardtops but it does seem after 88 the targa became very popular. You also have to take into account that the people who own targas *typically*are more enthusiastic about the car. Of all the ragged out Supras I see driving whose owners couldn't give a crap about the car, most are hardtops. The more enthusiastic people are more likely to get online to talk about their cars. So that skews the numbers somewhat...

Nothing can compare to cruising down the road with the top off - Targa ownz :)

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
drjonez said:
except w/the top off (and ever w/it on) it wiggles like a worm.....those who drive (or want) hardtops are true drivers.....
You haven't felt my car yet. Very little wiggling - stb, rear x bar, jic, etc. No wiggle at all with the top on. People who drive hardtops are boring people who don't want to experience the road.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I want a hardtop. Too much body movement with the targa off. I never take the top off to drive around anyway. The last time that I did, was for the picture in my signature.

·
Bring it.
489 Posts
I like the percieved performance advantage of hardtops, but realistically I wish my supra had a targa - I've just always driven older Z cars with t-tops and love the feel of the open air. Oh well. The grass is always greener...

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
Thats why you get both ;)

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Bishop92T said:

You haven't felt my car yet. Very little wiggling - stb, rear x bar, jic, etc. No wiggle at all with the top on. People who drive hardtops are boring people who don't want to experience the road.
And my car has no wiggling without the above mods, is lighter, and never pisses rain on my pants. i had a targa, it still flexed with the roof in (not nearly as bad), and whenever I'd tap the brakes in the rain, I'd get a little dribble of water on my thigh. Plus the car looks plain goofy with it off IMHO

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm also in the UK (stash, i hope youre a member of the UK forums, if not .. why not !! :) and have a jap 2.5 targa.. the car gets loads of looks in the UK as they are so rare !

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a hardtop. I like it but I have to admit I really wish it was a targa on sunny days. I've never ridden in a targa with the top off though, so I never really experienced the "wiggle".

Personally I like the idea of owning both. I'd like to have two versions of the Supra. One would be a stripped down auto with a built tranny for the 1/4, and the other would be a manual for touring (what the car was meant for anyhow).

I love the idea of a targa, but the reality for me is that the benefits are not enough to make me give up my hardtop. Everybody loves their version of the Supra best though right? :)

ScoobyBoost
87T

·
re-born
1,584 Posts
I love my hardtop when i am flying around corners but then when I am cruising at the beach, it is a tad more dificult to pick up the honey's with out the targa.
Cause all the hoes just try to jump into the car, so with a targe alot more space for them to jump in. Dont have to worry abut two hoes trying to jump in at the same time and getting stuck in the window =)

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I love when you have a couple girls in the car, with the Targa on, and you ask them if they want the Targa off... they get so excited and surprized ;) .

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You mean human beings actually FIT in the back seat? I'd have to pop the hatch to transport more than one chick, so I've got to be choosy.:D
I have the targa. The water and wiggle are a bitch, but a semi-convertible without a large weight difference? No brainer--targa.

·
I want to believe
1,536 Posts
Bishop92T said:
Most of the 92's are hardtop or sunroof, very rare to see a 92 targa. 86.5 and 87 had lots of hardtops but it does seem after 88 the targa became very popular. You also have to take into account that the people who own targas *typically*are more enthusiastic about the car. Of all the ragged out Supras I see driving whose owners couldn't give a crap about the car, most are hardtops. The more enthusiastic people are more likely to get online to talk about their cars. So that skews the numbers somewhat...

Nothing can compare to cruising down the road with the top off - Targa ownz :)
That is right. I see junky hard tops too. It is all about the targa, and mine has never leaked. Keep the seals in good condition and make sure it is down tight. I refer to all beutiful days, even if not in my car, as "targa weather".

1 - 20 of 44 Posts