Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
ive only seen hardtops in my area. altough ive only seen one other mk3 than mine:D

·
LAG?? Learn to drive...
1,941 Posts
how about the strectural support it offers. im sorry but i cant see how a targa top on is any match for a hard top. i still would see flex being a factor here. plus hardtops are 250lbs lighter. so that helps with acceleration. and handling, braking, gas mileage, etc. so how is that the true sprots car if the hardtop would slightly out perform the targa. So besides the sun burn you get from the targa wheres the benefit? if my car had been a targa i wouldnt have bought it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
well i dont race... so... i do wish my car had a targa. it'd be cool. then my girlfriend couldnt claim that her '85 Z31 is better than my s00p' just because she has t-tops and i dont, lol.

but then again, i wish my car had a lot of things it doesnt. like a turbo. like moldings that werent crooked. like shiny, non scratched, non chipped paint. oh well... :D

btw, anyone that wants one... i have a black 87 hardtop.. :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
You're retarded!

supraracer01 said:
how about the strectural support it offers. im sorry but i cant see how a targa top on is any match for a hard top. i still would see flex being a factor here. plus hardtops are 250lbs lighter. so that helps with acceleration. and handling, braking, gas mileage, etc. so how is that the true sprots car if the hardtop would slightly out perform the targa. So besides the sun burn you get from the targa wheres the benefit? if my car had been a targa i wouldnt have bought it.

Its only 80 lbs. difference. Beleive me i checked all the pros and cons of the targa and hardtop and I would rather have a lighter, stiffer frame than a wiggly, squeaky one. My car had enough suspension problems as it was so add on the lost rigidity of a roof and I woulda been SOL. Oh shit, did i just say I owned a ragged out hardtop? NO, my car kicked ass. Just like all of you say yours is better. Oh well, just put a bigger turbo on so you can catch up after the corners!!! :p

·
I want to believe
1,536 Posts
80 lbs is more like it. Where did you get 250, that is a hell of a lot more weight, I would have to see that. Its all a matter of opinion, and when it comes down to it everyone with a HT says its better and those with a Targa say its better. So it is pointless to argue, some say it flexes and some say it doesn't. And Toyota engineers look into things like body flex, and obviously it wasn’t a big problem, so believe what you like.

P.S. and dont tell me that Toyota also put things like mufflers and restrictive air filters and stuff like, there are reasons for those. Body flex, if excessive, is dangerous, and can cause a major recall, but like I said, they saw no problem.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Bah, just add a full roll cage to a targa car and get the best of both worlds. That's my plan anyway. Adds a little weight, but oh well.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
OneWingedAngel said:
Body flex, if excessive, is dangerous, and can cause a major recall, but like I said, they saw no problem.
hmm, ever driven a pontiac sunbird? At any rate, my MR2 has t-tops, but there are only about 5 weeks a year where the weather is suitable for its use. Summer its too frickin hot, and winter its too wet. I think the extreme heat/cold probably causes more leaky targas cause every Targa I've been in has leaked and/or made wind noise. And for all who talk about picking up chicks, I'm sorry but the MKIII has pretty much lost any pimp status it may have once had. Most girls I know couldn't tell the difference between a mkiii, a 2nd gen RX7, and a mid 80's firebird. And none of them would look twice at any of the aforementioned cars. They're all after BMW's and porsches...

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:

And my car has no wiggling without the above mods, is lighter, and never pisses rain on my pants. i had a targa, it still flexed with the roof in (not nearly as bad), and whenever I'd tap the brakes in the rain, I'd get a little dribble of water on my thigh. Plus the car looks plain goofy with it off IMHO
Mine never leaks on me, and if I want to get rid of wiggle I put the top back on. Mine does not flex at all with the roof in. When I want the free air experience the top comes out. Looks, well that's your personal opinion, I think the Supra looks best with the top off.

Don't kid yourselves into thinking the Supra is a sports car. It's a GT meant for high speed comfortable cruising. That's what the targa top is all about. 80lbs is a small sacrifice for the looks sights and sounds.

·
LAG?? Learn to drive...
1,941 Posts
i belive i was told that by bishop. someone was asking what year was the lightest mk3 caus ehe wanted the lightest one. he said he was goin to get it with a targa just for the added weight loss of the section of the roof. but then he said that the 86.5 hardtop was the lghtest cause the targa has a couple extra hundred sounds of added bracing. then saw the differance in weight from some web site and the targa was 246lbs heavier. that was in an 87 though. heres the convo.

Bishop92T said:

So I've been told :) T-top was never available for the Supra. Targa (sport roof) was availabe in every year and added a couple extra hundred pounds of bracing. Sunroof was a dealer installed option from 86.5-90 and the factory started adding sunroofs in 91-92. Since the sunroof adds virtually no weight it would be your best choice. 86.5 is definitely the lightest year.....

that thread :D :p

·
Banned
540 Posts
hhhhhhmmmmm??? hardtop.. targa... i think i'll just get t-tops:D anyway i have a 88 targa and it never leaks or drips water on me but it does twist a little:( i drove 5 hours with the top off once and didn't get sunburnt:p targa all the way in my house:D

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
supraracer01 said:
i belive i was told that by bishop. someone was asking what year was the lightest mk3 caus ehe wanted the lightest one. he said he was goin to get it with a targa just for the added weight loss of the section of the roof. but then he said that the 86.5 hardtop was the lghtest cause the targa has a couple extra hundred sounds of added bracing. then saw the differance in weight from some web site and the targa was 246lbs heavier. that was in an 87 though. heres the convo.
Hey, everyone is wrong at least once. I was originally informed the targa added a couple hundred extra pounds (by a hardtop owner of course), but recently found out that was incorrect.

Even if it did add a couple hundred extra pounds buying a hardtop Supra is like buying a hardtop roadster. Defeats the whole purpose of the car.

·
Swingline Stapler
235 Posts
Bishop92T said:

Even if it did add a couple hundred extra pounds buying a hardtop Supra is like buying a hardtop roadster. Defeats the whole purpose of the car.
Well if that be true, then shit, I better get on it and sell my turbo hardtop and buy an N/A targa!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I wish I had a targa. I'm going to pull my engine and other parts out of my hardtop and find a nice silver 89+ car to put them in. Hardtops are wack. Supras are fat pigs which makes them handle like shit anyways. Like Toypro said, Targa and roll cage, thats the way to go.

-Ryan

·
LAG?? Learn to drive...
1,941 Posts
just saying thats where I got it from.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
OneWingedAngel said:
Body flex, if excessive, is dangerous, and can cause a major recall, but like I said, they saw no problem.
Just like they saw no problem with the head gasket? ;)

vtecsux said:
Supras are fat pigs which makes them handle like shit anyways
LOL! I could not agree more! :D

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
i think its great to own either one, that way when you buy another you wont have to choose between targa or hardtop, just get the one you dont already have!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ive owned both, 88 Targa Automatic Turbo and 88 Hardtop 5speed Turbo. My red one(targa) appealed more to me in every way compared to my white, but anyone with a targa that says there is no difference obviously hasn't been in a hardtop blasting through the twisties.

Shit its all about going straight anyways..................lol.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts