Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of Subwoofers are people running these days and what amps are pushing it? (MKIII Supras)

I'm looking for a sub/box that fits snug under the cover (I don't one it to stick out, and I'd like to leave my cover on). I would most probably mount the amp on the back of the back seat...

Hopefully, if you have pictures, post them so I can see them...

Thanks,
Cyd...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would say to go with a 12" kicker solo beric l7. I'm not going to lie to you it will bump, but you will need a big amp to push it. I would go with the rocksford amp 800 watt class d.

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
This is my little baby, the cover never really fit right anyways so I just took it completely out. I'm considering doing a custom enclosure to hide it better, but that takes time and money of which I am short on both.

Here's where she gets her power from

Always taking opinions about it. If you wanna see the rest of the system let me know.

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
88supramkiii said:
This is my little baby, the cover never really fit right anyways so I just took it completely out. I'm considering doing a custom enclosure to hide it better, but that takes time and money of which I am short on both.

Here's where she gets her power from

Always taking opinions about it. If you wanna see the rest of the system let me know.
That looks good. Thats the W6v2 right? I wasnt sure what size box could fit in the hatch, how does it sound? How many watts RMS are you sending it? Is it a 10 or a 12?

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
heh, i just have a crappy little radio shack amp that i got for free. its running a single 10" sub thats soon to be mounted in the wood panel in the trunk, going into the spare tire well, where the spare tire is mounted upside down to allow the back of the speaker to drop down. all you need is a 10" sub to hear the bass in an mkiii.

hell, if i could find a bass tube i'd go with that instead...

oh yeah, the amp is hidden under the wood panel too, and all is covered with the carpet and the hatch cover. you cant see anything, no wires, no connectors, nothing. its clean, and i still have a full trunk.

-shaeff

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,924 Posts
myMUSICveins said:
That looks good. Thats the W6v2 right? I wasnt sure what size box could fit in the hatch, how does it sound? How many watts RMS are you sending it? Is it a 10 or a 12?

W6v2...Survey Says...

Sorry please try again.

That my friend is my baby the 10W7, the amp behind it is the JL Audio 500/1 which has more than enough to blow your ear drums out. The box was "built to specs" but I don't think it has enough air space to hit the really really really deep notes that I know it's capable of, but that'll all change in due time.

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
This is what i'm using....

2 12in JL W3, and a JL 250 watt amp

Me and A friend made the enclousure in a weekend.

·
Take it!
996 Posts
Two 10 inch subs from Rockford Fosgate, and a Sony XpLoD 800 watt amp, complete with kenwood speakers on the front and blaupunkt speakers at the rear. I also have a Sony XpLoD heat unit! I personally love my setup, and i'm getting lots of bass and clear quality sound!:rockon:

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
heres what I did. Just a single 12... nothing too huge but enough to fill out the sound of those skeet 4" speakers. Sounds great. Oh and dont worry, that sub was just for mock up purposes, Ive got something better in there now :D

Amp fit perfectly under the spare tire cover, and made for a really clean install.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
i liked how someone mounted their subs in the rear seats...they made it leveled and mounted it there but of course the rear seats were gone.....but who can sit in the back anywyas....couldn't find the picture tho...i'm thinking about making something like that but i kno its gonna be a bitch to custom make an enclosure as well as making the carpet fit.....hmm i should upgrade my sound system soon

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Zi4life978, that shit owns bro! Nice... How did you do the inside of the spare tire? Fiberglass enclosure or just free aired? Where's your back seat? :p

Zi4, Hoser, either of you guys have problems putting your amps like that? I had an amp flushed in the floor of my NA like that, and it was fried from water/moisture...

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
So far I haven't had any problems with my setup. But to be honest, I think i'm 1 of like 4 MKIII's in the world that doesn't have a drippy hatch haha.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have two 12 inch Kicker Comp VR's powered by a crossfire 70w x 2 amp....its bridged though....you laugh as it may seem underpowered but I have my entire hatch dynamatted and the 12's are in a completely sealed wooden box...she can hit big db's

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
Here's my setup (I have a targa though):

Focal 11" Subwoofer, sealed, enclosed in reversed spare tire:

Alpine Amps (50w x 4 RMS @ 4ohms for speakers, 200w x 1 RMS @ 4 ohms for subwoofer):

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Does it really matter in what direction your subs face ? I mean, tweeters ok, composet ok... but i thought a sub was quite low and therefore not really location oriented (for you spl guys)

Anyway, back ontopic, i have 1 12" DLS sub 300W RMS and attached to a DLS CA21 Amp (2 x 100W RMS or 1 x 300W RMS) and another CA21 but that's hooked up to nothing momentarilly. Should be hooked up to a nice DLS composet (6.5"+4"). I have a Alpine headunit and i like a nice good sounding set instead of booming my ears to shrapnel.

Only problem is... I have a targa and i like to bring a spare wheel. I never had one in my car, and i'd like to next time. So a system like Jeff's, no matter how stealthy it was installed, is out of the question.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Reign_Maker said:

Zi4, Hoser, either of you guys have problems putting your amps like that? I had an amp flushed in the floor of my NA like that, and it was fried from water/moisture...
I think im the other 1 of 4 without a drippy hatch :p

My concern was overheating under that board, but its never overheated on me and I never really pushed it too hard... but damn does it hit! With a hatchback, you can have just a little sub and make it sound huge in that tiny little space.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
overheating indeed is a bitch, my Ca21's overheat all the time. Alpine had a nice solution to that though... they put them on the roof of a democar.... nicely aircooled :D

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
C44 said:
Only problem is... I have a targa and i like to bring a spare wheel. I never had one in my car, and i'd like to next time. So a system like Jeff's, no matter how stealthy it was installed, is out of the question.
I still have my spare, the spare was flipped upside down and the sub is mounted inside of it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts