Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never see any hardtop supras so im assuming they are rare. But they are more expensive or what? and i know they are lighter by like 200lbs or something?

·
what comes out the butt?
4,463 Posts
yes they are more expensive generally, 93-94 hardtops are what you will normally find, but 95 was the last year in the US for hardtops, and their werent that many, like 150ish iirc,....they are a sought after car...

-mike

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
I looked for a hard top before I bought my targa. I just couldn't find one that was lower miles, in decent shape, and was selling for $3X,XXX. Maybe some day. I heard they are only 50 lbs. lighter. 50 lbs. can easily be made up for by turning up the boost another pound or so. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i guess 50lbs is nothing... but less chassis twist i suppose? but then you cant take off the top and stare at the starts at night while trying to take a nap either!!!

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
Owner of two 95 Hardtops here :)
Well I think they are lighter by like 75lbs, but my Jenny Craig Supra weights in at 3150lbs :bigthumb:

·
Registered
833 Posts
i didn't know they were more expensive. i had a chance to buy a RSP hardtop, but the price was just about the same as a targa

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
twntrbo03' said:
i didn't know they were more expensive. i had a chance to buy a RSP hardtop, but the price was just about the same as a targa
It was repainted or it was N/A they didn't make RSP Hardtop TT's out of the factory.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
RossoCorsaItaly said:
It was repainted or it was N/A they didn't make RSP Hardtop TT's out of the factory.

Regards,
Kevin
Kevin is probably right. I don't think a NA targa or hardtop would vary much in price. If anything maybe the targa would be more sought after for a NA.

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
Don't forget more rigidity, never dealing with squeaking targa bolts, and leaks! :)

·
NA-T T61
1,988 Posts
95 hardtop here!

I doubt theres much difference, and to be honest I actually was looking for a targa in the first place. Either way, they are pretty rare and to do tend to sell for a higher price.

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
I didn't have a preference when I was looking for my turbo model but when I found my hardtop and drove it, I absolutely loved it. If I ever buy another Supra, it'll have to be a hardtop model. It's such a relief not to deal with worn out mouldings, squeaks, or chassis flex.

·
WilKillya County Sheriff
2,201 Posts
Xenon Supra said:
I'd like to drive a hardtop to see if there's a big difference.

:D
Give me your car & I'll see what I can do about finding you one! :bigthumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when they why the heck did they make so little hardtops then? if chassis and leakage is an issue... they might as well should have made a few convertible supras!!

·
624 Posts
Yeah, bummer they didn't make enough to go around. Was the sport roof an option if you special ordered your Supra back in the day or was the hard top the option? Just real curious to know. Any Mk IV Supra is better then none, sport roof or not, but I would have prefered a hard top. Who knows, come summer I may love the sport roof and take it off around town or for slow cruises. Doubt I'd take it off any other time. On the interstate, I can barely stand having my windows rolled all the way down when you are passing a semi with the tires howling!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Targa was the option. The reason that most of them were Targas from my understanding is that almost all Supras were ordered and when you had the kind of money to afford one you usually wanted a targa. Not sure how much the targa option was tho. Anyone have any ideal?

·
624 Posts
Dang. Who woulda thunk the cheap skates who didn't splurge and get the sport roof would be buying a car that would be more desirable today? :D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts