Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Espeefan said:
Dang. Who woulda thunk the cheap skates who didn't splurge and get the sport roof would be buying a car that would be more desirable today? :D
Certainly not I. I remember in 97 when I was a very little kid that had a black TT 6 spd that someone had ordered n not taken delivery on yet in the local show room. My god I examined that car from end to end. They had the top of and the windows down in the show room. I about cried when I looked at the sticker on that thing. One of the salesman told my dad that they ad phased out the hard top because no one wanted the constraint of a non-removable top on the Supra. Who would of thought it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There is definitely a difference in my hardtop. When you take a hard left turn, the car hugs the ground like it's riding on rails. Definitely worth it. Sticks like a bitch! ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
hardtops arent that great. i have a hardtop, nice and all with 27K miles on my supra.

but i would trade it for a higher mileage just to have targa.

i mean its sooo much cooler to be able to take the top off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
and it's a lot more than 75 lbs, trust me. The extra reinforcement needed for having a targa is much more!!!! Also, I have owned both, I personally felt the hardtop handled much better and felt like one piece with the ground. It targa felt like a boat to turn after I had the hardtop and broke lose a lot more around turns. But my 350z in a different story, it hugs around turns better than any other car I have been in :bigthumb:

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
We don't need gusseting just some nice coilovers sways and sticky tires, life is good.

As for trading the car your gonna get swapped with PM's- Emails. :biggrin: In fact I'll buy a high mileage targa just to swap you. LMK........

·
Registered
904 Posts
bp0192 said:
hardtops arent that great. i have a hardtop, nice and all with 27K miles on my supra.

but i would trade it for a higher mileage just to have targa.

i mean its sooo much cooler to be able to take the top off.

I agree.. Most ZO6 owners what chevy to "chop the top"... Being rigid is one thing but the cool air and the open top is the best! I have heard of and seen photo's of a few "rolled" supra's and the targa stands up to that beating.. it is not all bad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Evolutionist said:
I agree.. Most ZO6 owners what chevy to "chop the top" being rigid is one thing but the cool air and the open top is the best!
really isn't a huge noticeable thing, completely over rated IMO. Gets a little more attension and most girls care too much about their hair to enjoy it a whole lot. Also my 350z gets more attension than my 600hp supra with a targa off ever did :dunno:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree, the only real benefit I can see for a hardtop is auto crossing, and Supras aren't the greatest car for that.

I do, however, like the idea that the hardtop is lighter, but not being able to remove the roof is not worth it in my opinion. This is what keeps me from getting a z06(yes, I know about the targa conversions).

I rarely put my targa on, 80% of the time it's in the truck, or in the garage, the only exception is rain, and I don't intentionally drive her in the rain anyways.

HTH.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
AQuick6 said:
I agree, the only real benefit I can see for a hardtop is auto crossing, and Supras aren't the greatest car for that.

I do, however, like the idea that the hardtop is lighter, but not being able to remove the roof is not worth it in my opinion. This is what keeps me from getting a z06(yes, I know about the targa conversions).

I rarely put my targa on, 80% of the time it's in the truck, or in the garage, the only exception is rain, and I don't intentionally drive her in the rain anyways.

HTH.
doesn't really feel any different than having the windows down. Also on hott summer days the top stays on because the sun kills you when it beats directly on you. I only wanted a tara simply because they were cheaper and got offered a 600hp supra for 22k and tookt he offer.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I have owned both (albeit mk3's) and I like the hardtop better.. more solid car, less chaces of leaks... Plus I own my car for myself, I dont own it to get looks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
SupraMan1990 said:
Targa was the option. The reason that most of them were Targas from my understanding is that almost all Supras were ordered and when you had the kind of money to afford one you usually wanted a targa. Not sure how much the targa option was tho. Anyone have any ideal?
I bought my Supra new and the salesman told me the dealerships had been told that not many of them were going to be sold in the U.S. As a result there was no dickering on the price and the only guarantee was that they would get you a car. I asked for a hard top originally and even told them I'd take any color other than white. The first dealership wasn't able to find me a car and the second dealership got me one but it wasn't a hardtop and it involved a trade between three dealerships of various cars. Seeing how hard it was for them to get me a car is one reason I never sold it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
go to suprahardtopregistry.com and ask steve t. ur questions.
he's the man when it comes to ht supras.
i like mine cause its lighter, looks better, and rare.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i live in CA and i've taken my top off about 5 times total - i hate it. i intend to try to the do-luck mid brace to see if it might reduce flex, but the targa sucks for all these reasons:
- leaks
- noise (especially if you've got stiff suspension on crappy roads)
- flex
- pain in the ass to take off/put on

i'd much rather just have a sunroof...

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
carendt242 said:
i'd much rather just have a sunroof...
The UK (?) sunroofs are hot. I'd love to have one, more than a targa or a hardtop.

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
Mk3kidNA86 said:
Also my 350z gets more attension than my 600hp supra with a targa off ever did :dunno:
:wtflol: Man that is the first time I have ever heard a 350Z which are a dime a dozen get more attention than a Supra. My gf has one a 6speed and she honestly thinks it is the biggest mistake she ever made; thinks its weak as hell and all the cheap plastic rattles.

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
Im surprised Steve Theadore hasn't made an appearance yet :lol:

I think that the targa definitely makes the Supra look more exotic but all the hardcore performance guys will opt for hardtop usually.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
My reasons were rarity, stability, safety, headroom.
I didn't want to add a roll cage and the HT provides a tad more ridgidity above my head. Nothing against targas either, but in a rollover (god forbid) I prefer solid structure. I've seen already several targas pop out. I also hate the idea of a rollcage and this surely helps. Nevermind the other reasons like leaks, rattles, bolts stripping. The biggest advantage a targa has is sunshine then I made the right choice.

....as for attention thats for narcissistic folk. 350z is a decent car for 30k but, the Supra is a great car for 40k. No if's ands or Butts about it.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I have never really been googled eyed with hardtop supra's. I mean, dnt get me wrong, they look just as good IMO. I prefer the targa though. There is noway in hell I would buy a car because the members of supraforums think its cooler since its rarer(sp?)
Also, my car is nearing 200K and the targa doesnt leak/rattle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
MANI009 said:
:wtflol: Man that is the first time I have ever heard a 350Z which are a dime a dozen get more attention than a Supra. My gf has one a 6speed and she honestly thinks it is the biggest mistake she ever made; thinks its weak as hell and all the cheap plastic rattles.
Dude I never said 350's are better, I am still a hardcore supra fanatic. But I have gotten more compliments and gestures from random girls in my 350 than I did in my supra. By far supras are better but I couldn't afford the upkeep. Trust me, when girls went in my supra they loved it, but just from looks alone, I could get more pussy from my stock looking 350 over my old stock looking supra

21 - 40 of 67 Posts