Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a valentine one and want to hardwire it to the lower fuse box on the driver side since I heard it was a switched source. How would I go about doing this? I read about a spade connector and putting it into an open slot... Could someone help me out by telling me a little more. I plan on taking pictures and putting it up once I'm done.

TIA,
Bao

·
Search
3,305 Posts
do you have a voltmeter?

on MOST radar detectors they simply use a +12 and a ground... cut the cigarette lighter plug off, take the +12 wire and plug it into a fuse (it'd be better to solder it into a switched wire) and ground the ground to the chassis....

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i have a multimeter, so yes. Mines is the typical 12V and ground, and the 12V has a fuse inline with it already. Can I just piggy back onto the cigarette lighter? I heard you can use the fuse box, but if the cig lighter is easier, then that'll work too.

Edit, looks like mines already has spade connectors attached to the end, looks like a U shape right? so I'm assuming there's a source that goes into the fuse box, and that's where each wire gets the power. So I just plug that spade connected into an empty slot in the fuse box somehow, and i'll have a switched source..?

·
Registered
551 Posts
the Valentine 1 comes with a hardwiring kit. Run the straight phone cord from wherever your radar is going to be to where you want the little box to be. Now get a butt connector and some 14 or 16 guage wire and connect the red wire to it to make it longer. then strip the other end of the wire and locate the ciggarette ligher fuse un the fuse box. pull the fuse out and then insert the stripped wire into one of the two holes then push the fuse back in. Next, you need to ground the black wire to somewhere making an extension as needed. Then plug the phone cord into its respectable slots a voila, you should have power when you turn on the car to acc, and when you turn it off.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.. I get the picture now. So I'll probably just piggyback off the cig lighter since it comes with the piece to do it. I'll post up pics soon for anyone else that might want to do this.

Bao

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
KiDeViL said:
Thanks.. I get the picture now. So I'll probably just piggyback off the cig lighter since it comes with the piece to do it. I'll post up pics soon for anyone else that might want to do this.

Bao
yes please keep us updated with pics for doing the hardwiring to the cig lighter....I will need to do this soon cause I hate the cord hanging in front of me

·
rockin the two tone
191 Posts
Yes using the cigarette lighter is probably the easiest. Just make sure the connectors don't pop off when you are putting the dash back together... it's quite annoying

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
The clock is also a good choice. For all of my accessories i ran a fuse tap into the seat heater. The seat heater has plenty of juice for everything. Then i created a ground wire by connecting a decent gauge wire to a tranny shifter screw.

Good luck,
Sid

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I know how to ground, just put it under a screw connected to the chassis. I also found the empty slot in the fuse panel for the seat heater that is supposed to take a 15A Blade fuse. I googled fuse tap and saw the metal piece that you stick in with the fuse. I might just push the connector into the fuse slot because there is a fuse inline already. Where would I buy a fuse tap though? I don't really need packs of 10 or whatever. I already have some 15A fuses from when I was insatlling my alarm (and blew a few fuses).. heh.

Thanks,
Bao

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't gotten around to installing it yet, but I did some testing...

The seat heater fuse slot is in the top row, 3rd from the left (only empty one). Now there are 2 "blade" slots... top and bottom. The TOP one is the switched one, ie. where you want to put your fuse tap. When your car is off, it has no power, when you turn your car on (or just to the acc), it will have power. Just a heads up for anyone that's in a hurry. I'm still debating if I want to piggy back off the cig lighter wire, or make a little whole in my fuse box cover to tap into that seat heater...

Bao

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Installed! pictures soon to follow! I decided to tap into the fuse box because I didn't feel like taking apart my dash.

Approx time ~ 2 hours (with time to slack off in between).

Bao

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
bump.....I need to find out which cord behind the cigarette lighter I need to splice the connector with that came with the hardwiring kit on my valentine one. It already has a connector I just need to know which wire to connect it to.

there are three connections coming from the back of the cigarette lighter: one that is a push release one and the other two are male/female ones that are wrapped together. which one is it?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Use the fuse box, it's easier :). It's also easier to hide the wires if you plan on mounting it on your windshield.

Otherwise, get a multimeter, find the hot and the ground... hot goes to red, ground goes to black.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
ummm...I already wired everything to the console, I have the hub where the power and ground cables are coming off for my v1 stuck the the underside of my deck and the ground connected to a screw there. so my question is which cord coming from the back of the cigarette lighter is the power for it so I can splice into it....

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
well i took a pic with my cell phone but don't know how to upload those yet.
I took care of it though just used a piece of metal to connect the power cable to both of the wires going to the cigarette lighter and used the one that turned the v1 on. crimped connector an voila! I will take pics with a digi cam later to show how it looks in the car. thanks for all the help.

p.s. it turned out to be the gold connector that was the power and not the silver one....sorry I didn't look at what color the wire was but I think it was blue? just for future reference...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts