Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Alloy wheel Rim

Hi guys, I am doing some maintenance work on my Supra like the valve stem seals and the timing belt. By checking the crank pulley the front ring came off easily. I have a vibration at highspeed and never found the cause. Can the vibration be related to a bad crank pulley? Vibration starts at 80 mph and gets worse.

· Registered
211 Posts
Vibration could be that, but then usually your engine will explode if it has that much vibration -- does it vibrate in the front or where? Power steering pulleys can start to do that too if they're going ... any leaking anywhere?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is coming from the front. I noticed the hood shaking. I have already balanced the transmission shaft. Change the transmission mount. New front upper arms. New rear upper arms. New suspension kit. I have 4 new wheelbearings. Tried with different set of wheels. New rims and tyres. And the vibration is still there.

· Registered
1993 JDM 5spd SZ hardtop in 202 blek.
659 Posts
Not uncommon. They're meant to be replaced as part of a regular service routine. I believe Toyota calls for them to be replaced every 100k km's however after nearly 30 years they should have been replaced well and truly by now regardless of the odo.

You're exceptionally lucky it didn't fly off at speed. It could absolutely cause vibrations.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It as 90k miles 150k km's. 27 years it is still the first timing belt. I'm not driving alot. Had more important things to do the last 8 years. And now I am doing the big maintenance.

· Registered
1993 JDM 5spd SZ hardtop in 202 blek.
659 Posts
It as 90k miles 150k km's. 27 years it is still the first timing belt. I'm not driving alot. Had more important things to do the last 8 years. And now I am doing the big maintenance.
Yeah well overdue. You got lucky you weren't driving it and it put half a pulley into your bonnet.

You can buy them new from Toyota but might not be a bad idea to future proof it with something from ATI or Fluidyne.

· Registered
211 Posts
Good luck, keep us posted if you find anything specific!

Reactions: Solidan

· Registered
94 Supra MT RHD Nardo Gray
15 Posts
On my Aristo 2JZ-GTE, my crank pulley was cracked when I bought it, was making noise and wobbling. I had no idea how long the previous owner was driving it that way (it was in a 98 GS300). Replaced it with a Fluidampr and a new woodruff key, luckily it didn't damage the crankshaft any.

· Registered
2,420 Posts
@Solidan I'm not sure an engine mount would cause undue vibration, but hopefully you get some more input. I have solid mounts in my car, never noticed any engine vibrations.

I have, however, had wheels that weren't particularly well balanced, and that seemed to cause some unpleasantness at higher speeds. Do you have a one piece driveshaft, by chance?

Reactions: Solidan

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an Automatic transmission. You have right with the engine mounts. I put last time in Neutral to see if the vibration would stop but no. Vibration was still there. I noticed too that my hood shakes quit a lot. The car has vibrations with the oem wheels and with my new wheels. Tried different sets of new tyres. Four new wheel bearings. New front and rear upper arms. The two piece driveshaft was new balanced. Transmission mount is new. New set of coilovers. New brake discs front rear. The car had the vibration before all the changes. I don't know.

· Registered
2,420 Posts
I have an Automatic transmission. You have right with the engine mounts. I put last time in Neutral to see if the vibration would stop but no. Vibration was still there. I noticed too that my hood shakes quit a lot. The car has vibrations with the oem wheels and with my new wheels. Tried different sets of new tyres. Four new wheel bearings. New front and rear upper arms. The two piece driveshaft was new balanced. Transmission mount is new. New set of coilovers. New brake discs front rear. The car had the vibration before all the changes. I don't know.
Hmm. Short list of things that could cause vibrations that you haven't already addressed... Engine mounts would be easy enough to change out, but let's think about this. Does the issue get worse with rpm, or road speed?

Another thing that comes to mind, what about the axles? I've also heard about driveshafts being out of phase, but never quite understood the concept myself. Something about the universal joints being 90° off from each other, it's been a while since I last read about it.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The issue gets worse with the road speed. Starts from 90 mph. I put the gear in neutral at 120 mph but vibration was still there. I have already the new engine mounts from TRD. Need to replace them. I think I read something about 4 years ago about the axles but I don't remember.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts