Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the starter trick but I unfortunately cannot due that since the motor I am working on is on an engine stand. i have a Matco 1200 ft lb impact 1/2 inch with 180 psi but it won't budge. Anyone have any ideas or have run into this before. I also do not have a flywheel available to hold from the back and I would like to keep the balancer in tack since it is low mileage. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is a crank dampner holding tool for 2jz. You might be able to find one on eBay or your local snap-on dealer. Might be tricky on a engine stand though. They are usually ON THERE. If not wait till the motor is in the car. Good luck

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i have a piece of steel stock with two hole's.i bolt it to the flywheel side of the crank and get out the breaker bar.i've done it by myself many time's,just make sure you don't pull the motor off the stand.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If you have it on the stand just put a 6inch extension thru the whole on your flex plate or fly wheel. Rotate the crank until the 6inch ext hits the bottom of the block. Now the crank can not move. use a breaker bar not a impact and if needed add a extension onto the breaker bar by finding a deep well socket that fits over the handle of your breaker bar. From there you can add on a 12inch ext and have enough torque to break the bolt loose

·
1,722 Posts
I used an insigroll rand titanium 1/2 impact gun. It will take off almost anything.

I did have to push the trigger for about 30 seconds and tap the trigger a few times.

Tapping the trigger is the best way to break any bolt loose.

Good luck!

·
2JZ MKII
637 Posts
i have a piece of steel stock with two hole's.i bolt it to the flywheel side of the crank and get out the breaker bar.i've done it by myself many time's,just make sure you don't pull the motor off the stand.
This plus 4 foot jack handle on the breaker bar and a friend to hold the engine/stand in place. I landed on my ass, but it did come loose.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I just did this on Sunday. My 1/2" drive impact wrench wouldn't budge the bolt. I took a 4' x 3' piece of 3/4" MDF (fiberboard)) and placed it so that it was flat against the crank pulley/dampner, resting on the floor and just right of/up against the idler wheel mount. I put some grease on the bolt to mark the bolt position against the MDF then cut a hole in the MDF using a hole saw just slightly bigger than the 22mm socket to get on the crank bolt and drilled two holes left and right of the socket hole in line with crank pulley puller bolt holes. I bolted the MDF tight to the crank pulley using M8 bolts (I think) and flat washers. The board not only braces the crank but also stabilizes the engine on the stand. Then used 22mm socket, breaker bar and 2' cheater to break the bolt free. Ghetto but worked like a champ.

·
Registered
452 Posts
put the engine on the ground. Go to home depot and buy some 1/8" x 1.5" flat stock and two longer bolts that will thread into the crank. Drill two opposite holes to bolt the flat bar to the crank and a third hole to bolt it to one of the transmission holes. Have a buddy hold the engine while you break it loose with a big ass breaker bar. or just buy the tool

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Thats how I do it.

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
Thank's for this awesome vid. I have the tool he used there but had no idea WTF it was for.:) I am going over today to try and help remove this pulley. I recommended the heat trick Stefan said but that didn't work either. If the SST wont do it I guess the only option it flat stock bolted to the crank.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thank's for this awesome vid. I have the tool he used there but had no idea WTF it was for.:) I am going over today to try and help remove this pulley. I recommended the heat trick Stefan said but that didn't work either. If the SST wont do it I guess the only option it flat stock bolted to the crank.
The SST will work, you just have to put alot of A$$ to it. Be prepared when it breaks loose it can catch you off guard and you'll end up falling on your face. LOL

·
Factory RSP Hardtopper
1,961 Posts
I'm just worried about the little ass bolts that come with it. They don't look strong enogh to hold 1k #'s of torque.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts