Supra Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
sks,
I believe once you touch the cage yourself it doesnt comply with the cetificate anymore, at least here it doesnt, so the maker has to make it to the specs you require and make it to within the rules your racing in.

Im guessing if you mod it yourself, you would have to get it inspected and passed!
A lot of the track days dont even check your cage, but i would like to know that in the extreme case if i was to roll, i would have something decent enough to help.

Best would be to have the main side loop welded to the frame/chassis or have a box tube made up there in the corner and have the loop legs welded/bolted to that( from what ive seen/read), but thats a lot of work and i would rather find someone that will do it themselves, so i'll most likely get one made custom in the beggining of next year sometime.

95jza80tt,
That is beautiful, im glad you liked it and you had it made, it looks top notch, well done :)

Anyway, ive quickly taken a few pictures of the harness bar i made until i get my cage done... just waiting on my schroth 6 point harnesses now :)

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
sks,
I believe once you touch the cage yourself it doesnt comply with the cetificate anymore, at least here it doesnt, so the maker has to make it to the specs you require and make it to within the rules your racing in.

Im guessing if you mod it yourself, you would have to get it inspected and passed!
A lot of the track days dont even check your cage, but i would like to know that in the extreme case if i was to roll, i would have something decent enough to help.

Best would be to have the main side loop welded to the frame/chassis or have a box tube made up there in the corner and have the loop legs welded/bolted to that( from what ive seen/read), but thats a lot of work and i would rather find someone that will do it themselves, so i'll most likely get one made custom in the beggining of next year sometime.

95jza80tt,
That is beautiful, im glad you liked it and you had it made, it looks top notch, well done :)

Anyway, ive quickly taken a few pictures of the harness bar i made until i get my cage done... just waiting on my schroth 6 point harnesses now :)

I meant bracing the floorboard as that might be a significant weakpoint. nice harness bar!!!

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Is that a gasoline powered wok in the back corner of the hatch?

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey guys, just received my schroth 6 point belts and got them installed, only one thing im not 100% sure on.
From my seat to the rear mounting points, its about 500mm give or take.

I read the instructions on the schroth belts and it states to cross them over at 500mm and over.
Now here is my problem.
Ive tried both ways, crossed and non crossed.
Non crossed ( like on the right side picture ) its perfect, no issues and very comfy.
But, once i cross the belts over ( like on the left side ), the shoulder belts rub against my lower neck and its very annoying, obviously because the crossing over is pulling the shoulder belts towards my neck...

Im on the very limit of the specs for having the shoulder belts just straight ( according to schroth anyway).
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Would leaving them straight like on the drivers seat picture be ok( drivers seat for me being on the right hand side )?

Here are some pics:

Cheers

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Personally I would never get into a car on track with harnesses and no rollover protection.
:agreed: You're asking for a broken neck. If you're just looking to be supported then consider a racing seat with the standard 3-point belt. Otherwise get a cage.

·
Not Enough Grip
459 Posts
once i cross the belts over ( like on the left side ), the shoulder belts rub against my lower neck and its very annoying, obviously because the crossing over is pulling the shoulder belts towards my neck...
A HANS device will keep the belts from rubbing your neck...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shane,
I realise the second option with the bar up higher would be better, how much better i dont know, how much safer i dont know!
I know that cams says not more then 40deg, so anything up to that is allowable, therefor the first design with the lower bar would pass,
Why would they let you run up to 40deg if it was not safe? thats what i would like to know.

Thanks for that link, Nick.
From reading that, schroth says recommendation is up to 20deg, and up to 40deg but only on certain race seats that are approved by schroth!

Any bar thats more then 200mm from the seats should have the harness crossed over, thats easy enough.

Looking at the sparco race bar positioned in a supra in some of the pictures, look very close to being more then 20deg angle!

Seem's i may end up doing the second option with the bar way up higher, just for piece of mind if nothing else!

cheers guys.
Wow

21 - 29 of 29 Posts