Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91MT turbo and am swapping in an 89AT turbo harness. The engine to ecu connectors are the same.

The connectors to the body are different. They will not fit. Has anyone gone about swapping in an auto harness into an MT car? I am thinking about either:
1) Hybridizing
cutting open the harness and retaining the engine->ECU on the new harness and attaching the old engine->body section...basically, a hybrid harness.
2) Splicing
matching the wires to the functions and hoping for the best.

Has anyone had experience with this?

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Oh boy :faint: Well I would say must of the MK3 community has had some involvement with a swap of some sort, so I guess no one else has replied yet out of frustration. But simply put, you're either gonna have find the electronics to match for the year, or probably do some custom wiring.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Not many you have to worry about. The connector that you need to worry about, may be a different size, but the wires/colors/functions are the same... that would be the 8 or 9 (or so) wires going to the cluster. Look at Rick's site for pics of the different 7M connectors that you have to use/splice into for the 1JZ swap.... you should at least be able to see the connector that I'm talking about. If I have time late, I can try and dig up some pics...

Anything auto tranny related can stay unplugged.

www.1jz-gte.us

Good luck.
PS,
The other this you will have to do is jumper a couple of wires for the auto's harness neutral start switch (round plug w/3 wires) which would go towars the back of the engine down towards the tranny (driver's side).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts