Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to figure out what's the best route to take. I wouldn't mind keeping my tranny, but can I? If anyone hasn't been able to have success with it I will just forget it and save up for a 6spd tranny.

TIA

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
supraswap said:
if your going tt swap, just get a tt auto with it.
I was thinking about doing that since I have an auto TT motor I am going to rebuild, but it looks like the price of the rebuild will be as much as the jdm motor with much lower miles, but for a 6spd. I have too many option which is why I am trying to narrow it down. If I could keep my na auto tranny I might do the autoTT swap, if not I'll might forget it and go with the jdm engine + tranny.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was always under the assumption that the Turbo and NA used the same A340E trans with the only difference being the torq converter.

Anyone know of more differences between the two?

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
I think SP has a built toyota tranny for about $1,700 now.

·
Banned
624 Posts
-less clutch packs in the na
-weaker than tt trans even built wise
-na is cable controlled shifts
-tt is electronically shifted

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
jdm tt with auto (auto is usually free)

just make a new driveshaft and call it a day.

·
Banned
1,747 Posts
you can get the n/a rebuilt. but if i were yo I'd get a built TT. or at vey least a TT auto. but you have to change your diff

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
Dont do the swap! ! ! Dont mean to kill your dreams or sound like an asshole. Heres my 2 cents for you. But i'm telling you from my personal experiense; dont do it. In the long run your'll be happier if you picked up a TT Supra that came from the factory that way. Your gonna spend more money to do the swap and make everything else work then you would if you sold your NA and got a TT. I started out with a $8K - $10K budget and it went up to almost $14K. Just because your gonna get all your BPU stuff right off the bat since your not gonna wanna spend money on OEM crap. The only reason i did it was because i got my NA for cheap, but after i did it and some time has passed i wished i waited and just got a TT instead of doing the N/A to TT conversion. But thats just my 2 cents for you, nothing more.

·
Registered
541 Posts
mines got me to about 5k canadian(auto) doing all my work myself and keeping the jdm twins and drivable. only thing left is suspension and diff upgrades, so probably about 8k canadian total for me.

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
Did either one of you two hack up your JDM harness to make it work or buy brand new ones which run about $1400? Are you at full BPU? Did you basically give your motor a full tune-up since its already around 40K miles with as many new parts as possible?

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
How much HP is a good built TT auto tranny good to ?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I would put in the JDM Tranny in and then make a driveshaft. That's the easiest way to go.

I am an NA that went TT. Mainly because I already had the RSP Supra and didn't want to buy a TT. It's been great. I actually was running an SP NA Built Auto with it so there was no need to make a driveshaft. But they had to rig the Kick Down Cable to my throttle. However, I am going to put the JDM tranny in here and just fab a driveshaft and buy a USDM Harness so that it's a clean install.

I have done alot of stuff with my NA-TT build I'm fully Single. But my car is down right now due to rod knock...long story don't ask. It'll be back up and running in time and I'll have a US Harness, and JDM Tranny in there to make it a whole lot easier. I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with my engine - build it up or just buy another JDM GTE.

But if you have the cash to buy a car - buy a TT, you can find an affordable one right now it seems. If you already have the Supra - do the swap. Later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts