Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 94 Supra and I'm trying to get some stereo equipment on the cheap. I don't want to buy a $400 (and can't make) a custom subwoofer enclosure and still fit the targa.

I'm considering a 6.5"-8" tube subwoofer (with built-in amp) but don't even know if this will fit on top of where the 5x7 speaker usually goes. I've looked at my car for a while with the targa in and it doesn't look like it will easily fit, but has anyone had success with this before?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Bazo...90115/catOid/-13641/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
That piece is a little big to fit in the factory sub location. I would look at Kenwood's powered sub. I think that unit will fit better (sorry, forgot the model number)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did some experimenting and it looks like a 6.5" tube will fit just fine behind the back seat. There seems to be 1/2 to 1" clearance. 8" definitely won't fit though.

To clarify I'm not fitting "in" the factory sub location, but over top of it with grill removed.

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
im sorry, i thought you wanted to replace the factory sub enclosure and keep it under the carpet

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
a buddy of mine had a bazooka tube behind the rear seat and the targa fit perfectly. i believe it was a 8" but i'm not positive.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a 6.5" BTA6200 subwoofer w/200 watt amp. I waited it out and finally snagged one with a bid for $141 shipped. I'll let you guys know how it fits.

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
I just got my car back together from doing a dynamat, 3way component speakers, and 8" tube install. I placed the tube directly behind the rear seat with the port of the tube facing down going into the "hole" behind the seat. With a rear strut tower bar the tube fits very snug between the bar and the seat which is nice because it doesnt need any tie downs etc. The targa does fit but it requires a little force to lock into place.

Long story short, an 8in tube will fit w/targa but requires a little manipulation to fit

if anyone would like pics let me know and ill go snap a few

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
Pics never hurt...post em!

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
Ok here they are, youll have to excuse the carpet looking like crap im still working on the hatch area... my battery is under that hump on the left :)

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
I just did the same, 8" Bazooka Tube. You remove the stock sub enclosure, and just pop the tube in there. What is cool is you can roll the carpet OVER the tube and it looks very stock! Targa fits as well. Actually, the carpet helps keep the targa nice and tight for those of use with flapping targas in the rear. I'll try and get a photo.

·
Registered
183 Posts
bazooka tubes are amped ie built in to the tube
yes some of them are, but you can also buy them passive and non-amplified.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I took the stock styrofoam pieces and the spare tire out to fit a 10" passive Bazooka and an 8" passive bazooka and fed them 100Watts RMS a piece. it kicked ass... My targa fit perfectly over the combination and weighed very little since SAS Bazooka tubes are relatively light. I mounted the amp to the bottom left of the rear hatch where the styrofoam used to be and everything worked great.

Sorry... Don't have pics but it is easy to do

Matt
Philadelphia PA
'97 Supra BPU++ 6-speed R.I.P. 12/4/06
'98 Supra T61 6-speed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts