Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched with no avail...

Has anyone here installed the class 1 drawtite hitch on their supra?

Im just looking to drag around a tiny tire trailer for auto-x and drags this year...

·
boost'en down 101
1,293 Posts
i don't know anyone that has done it on a supra but my buddy installed one on his corvette to tow a small tire trailer and he loved it but sold the car a couple years ago. looked pretty cool too. another friend has a hitch on his 240sx that he pulls a little teardrop trailer with. so a supra is more than capable of towing a small trailer and it higher weight will finally be useful lol. i looked into it once cause i was curious and uhaul sold a hitch that bolts on. i think the Camry one was interchangeable with the supra but not positive.

·
4,934 Posts
Linking to the other forum, deal with it: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?145070-MKIII-tow-hitch

Short story, there are bolts in your rear bumper (from factory) that allow for tow hitches to be bolted up. The only reason I remember this is because IJ. jokes occasionally about the tow hitch on the back of his car, I thought it was funny/out of place too. IIRC there's something in the factory manual about towing?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I welded up a bracket to a small hitch and pulled a small sea-doo trailer converted to a lawn mowing trailer for summer jobs a couple years ago. Got many odd looks from everyone. This was before I got my work truck, aka 85 4Runner to do the dirty work.

·
SF Contributing Member
1,549 Posts
There are Supra specific kit you can buy. A buddy used to work at U Haul and he'd installed one before for an older gentleman that was moving out of town and didn't want to rent a truck to trailer his Supra so he opt for a tow hitch and a trailer for his stuff.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm thinking of getting one for my Supra to haul around my mountain bike to from the trails.

I know GrimJack has one on his Supra. He uses it for the same thing.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
i need to find a way to get my 13' hobie kayak mounted to my roof. the twisties to all my fishin spots are awesome, I always wish I could drive my supra rather than my truck. anyone ever done a roof bike rack or kayak rack mount on a supra? talk about getting weird looks!

·
Super Moderator
11,393 Posts
i need to find a way to get my 13' hobie kayak mounted to my roof. the twisties to all my fishin spots are awesome, I always wish I could drive my supra rather than my truck. anyone ever done a roof bike rack or kayak rack mount on a supra? talk about getting weird looks!
Roof racks are all the rage out in Cali on older imports, at least, when I spent the week of thanksgiving in the greater LA area I didn't see a single 240 or E30 that *didn't* have a roof rack. Of the three MK3's I saw over the course of that week, two had roof racks and cheap helladerp -45 offset wheels & hovercraft camber.

If you actually USED that roof rack along with having a more tastefully modified MK3, I think you'd be way ahead on that game.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Ugh. I hate having an import...this whole form > function " movement" can eat a shit sandwich and die. I cant imagie how a roof rack became "cool".

None the less having 2 targas and rocking a huge sea kayak with a roofrack on one would really upstage those pouser d bags, and i could get in the water faster!

·
THE LAST NA
1,326 Posts
imagine having a supra.....

then imagine again the power of a "a340e tranmission", also used in 4-runner/lexus..... still smotthly shifining your ORGINAL oem, 250k 4:30 opnen diff...

my supra is "tow"er's dream.......paradise......7mge a340e

I bought that hitch from autozone for $50 in 2003....universal fit from reese, fits 1989 supra and evenm the computer listed that reese as a match.

....the wiring was $10.

The bumber has to be removed I un did the lower bolts and rotated up and back until i could drill, the bumber was still somewhat attached at the top this was 10.5 years ago i dont remember,,,....drilling is required despite directions.....the upper hole in the bumber is not hollow all the way through, it needs drilled slightly so bolt passed ALL the way to the other side. some minor cutting of bumber is also nessessary for draw bar fitment.....

the directions also indicated that despite the bumber being rated by toyota and uhaul at 2000 lbs-200, the set up for this universal reese indicated that it was 1500 lbs -150....there were other configurations for different makes and models with this universal kit that made it 2000lbs, but the supra was listed as 1500 lbs in the universal kit limitations.

(edit)

uhaul will still rent anything that 2000lbs/200 to a supra driver,,,,,fyi

·
THE LAST NA
1,326 Posts
as for the supra "owners manual", there is a section on towing.....i think it state 2000lbs....

i believe this pds is from the euro-supra owners manual.....it different

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is how mine looked. It bolted right in to the holes in the bumper - just required to trim the plastic cover. I used to tow Hobie Cat 16.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
please tell me that you used your supra to launch a boat, because that would be fn awesome. hobie cats rule!

·
THE LAST NA
1,326 Posts
I pulled a 3-seater Sea do GSR 1997 all the way around ohio......had head gasket problems and evertthing and I cuould still make about 90 minutes on the highway beofre it just would overheat too bad....this was like 10 years ago.....

i would never use a man made ramp because they are steep, and slippery at certain times of the year in ohio....i like using a natural ramp so i dont risk putting the 7mge in the drink.........

·
Registered
1987 toyota supra 1jz 5 speed
60 Posts
This is how mine looked. It bolted right in to the holes in the bumper - just required to trim the plastic cover. I used to tow Hobie Cat 16.

Which hitch is this and where can I get one?

·
Registered
287 Posts
That Curt 1 1/4" receiver hitch looks good but listed only for 90 -92 Supra. It might fit my 87 bumper (with trimming of bumper cover).
Anyone know if the rear bumpers differ between the older and newer Mk3's?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts