Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Your friend the EPC says the bumper core is 52023-14140 for all years.

The metal strip across the bottom of the bumper (outside) needs a piece removed from the middle and the skin needs a wee trim. It's not hard, but is best done by taking the skin off completely. The core has nuts already inside so you just have to bolt on the hitch.

These days, mine holds a bike rack more than anything, but I have a wee utility trailer I've been known to drag. I can get 22 bags of mulch home!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice! Haven't really considered this option before but having tires, fluids, tools, etc. in the Supra every time we go to the track is getting old. This looks to be a good option; gonna look for a utility trailer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice! Haven't really considered this option before but having tires, fluids, tools, etc. in the Supra every time we go to the track is getting old. This looks to be a good option; gonna look for a utility trailer.
@Olav has your MKIV hitch made it to Norway yet?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
One alternative to a trailer might be a hitch platform. I have twice used it on two different of my vehicles to haul 4 tires on wheels. Versus a trailer, there's no backing, no incessant vehicle jiggling from the trailer banging around, and its way less total mass for the Supra to pull. I have a photo around somewhere of us packed thus.

They're also nice for other random hauling of things that are too bulky for the car and they stow easily leaned up against the garage wall. You'll find all manner of things. In fact, I used mine to clean the Supra's fuel tank during the restoration. I filled it with solvent and about 20 lbs of nuts and bolts, put the hitch platform on the Cruiser and ran errands with the Supra tank ratchet strapped onto it. I'd change the position every couple errands and could hear it sloshing and rattling around back there with a grin at the efficiency of it - heh. OK, I'm weird. But at least I like being weird. Even revel in it at times!!!

Best.

·
Registered
1987 toyota supra 1jz 5 speed
60 Posts
That Curt 1 1/4" receiver hitch looks good but listed only for 90 -92 Supra. It might fit my 87 bumper (with trimming of bumper cover).
Anyone know if the rear bumpers differ between the older and newer Mk3's?
So I found the 86.5 to 89 has the fixed tongue style curt #11646. I also see the receiver style curt #11223 for 90 to 92 as you stated. Im definitely looking to get the receiver style but the ultimate question is will it fit my 87? Can these two tow hitches be used on all mk3 supras. If you ask the company they say no but what is the real difference of the rear bumper area and rear frame of the pre 89 to the post 90? I'm planning on towing jet skies at max so I have no concerns of the tow but more so the fitment.

I have one. I believe it's a Hidden Hitch, but I can't find it anywhere.

Curt makes one, and I believe I used to have this one. It's annoying because you will smack your shins on it all the time. Then I find Curt makes a receiver version, which is the type you want.
Yeah I truly do prefer the receiver style over the fixed tongue style but it states to only be for 90 to 92 mk3's. I guess I can order the receiver style soon and determine if it fits to let yall know .

·
Registered
287 Posts
So I found the 86.5 to 89 has the fixed tongue style curt #11646. I also see the receiver style curt #11223 for 90 to 92 as you stated. Im definitely looking to get the receiver style but the ultimate question is will it fit my 87? Can these two tow hitches be used on all mk3 supras. If you ask the company they say no but what is the real difference of the rear bumper area and rear frame of the pre 89 to the post 90? I'm planning on towing jet skies at max so I have no concerns of the tow but more so the fitment.

Yeah I truly do prefer the receiver style over the fixed tongue style but it states to only be for 90 to 92 mk3's. I guess I can order the receiver style soon and determine if it fits to let yall know .
@Asterix mentioned above (post #21) that rear bumper core is the same for all years; see Electronics Parts Catalog (cygnusx1.net)

·
Registered
60 Posts
@Asterix mentioned above (post #21) that rear bumper core is the same for all years; see Electronics Parts Catalog (cygnusx1.net)
Yeah after reading asterix post after i posted and checking on the two available hitches I'm pretty sure both hitches fits all years. Trying to cut a deal on a used receiver style hitch with a seller right now. Hopefully he budges.

Reactions: OldBonus

·
Registered
60 Posts
I never thought about putting a hitch on a supra, this is awesome
Yeah I thought it was pretty cool to see pictures of a mk3 supra towing another mk3 supra and a mk3 supra towing a jet ski. Jet ski is the reason I'm getting a tow hitch. I'll be getting myself a jet ski really soon.

·
Registered
296 Posts
OMG, I would never tow another Supra with my Supra! The hitch is only Class 1, as in 2000lb tow and 200lb tongue weights, and no trailer brakes. The most I've towed is around 400lb of mulch in a 150lb trailer, and that was my limit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
OMG, I would never tow another Supra with my Supra! The hitch is only Class 1, as in 2000lb tow and 200lb tongue weights, and no trailer brakes. The most I've towed is around 400lb of mulch in a 150lb trailer, and that was my limit.
Yeah I thought it was a bit much but really liked the image though.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Most likely they just did this for the picture. Bet they didn't actually tow it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is what im aiming for with a tow hitch. Looks great!
Water Car Plant Land vehicle Tire

Reactions: Asterix

·
Registered
2 Posts
I searched with no avail...

Has anyone here installed the class 1 drawtite hitch on their supra?

Im just looking to drag around a tiny tire trailer for auto-x and drags this year...
I didn't do it for a trailer, but for a mountain bike rack. My Supra was my daily driver for 17 years, retired it from those duties about 5 years ago. It I completely hidden when the bike rack is off. Let me know if you want more pictures.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Bicycle

·
Registered
60 Posts
I didn't do it for a trailer, but for a mountain bike rack. My Supra was my daily driver for 17 years, retired it from those duties about 5 years ago. It I completely hidden when the bike rack is off. Let me know if you want more pictures.

View attachment 265259
Envious much, man if only I can afford a mkiv supra. One day man one day. That looks nice though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I did indeed grab me the curt 11223 tow hitch aka the receiver style hitch. It fits perfectly. Only thing is the hardware the kit comes with is bigger then the mounting holes on our mk3's, ill have to get back with yall once I get the correct size. Good thing is the bumper does not need to be removed to install the hitch. Only a bit of the bumper will have to be cut for correct fitment. Note all 4 mounting holes on the hitch match with the mounting points on the bumper reinforcement. I only have 2 bolts holding the hitch up for picture purpose. I'll be getting 4 stainless steel bolts hopefully today for final installation. I'm debating if I should use thread-lock on the bolts or not when installing, what do yall think, thread-lock or not?

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Brown Wood Floor Flooring Tints and shades

Reactions: OldBonus

·
Registered
296 Posts
Since you are going to tow something substantial, @Abe's 1987, do not use stainless bolts. Use real, non-counterfeit grade 10.9 or 12.9 bolts. There's no need to thread lock them if you torque them properly. In fact, use anti-seize. Future you will thank you for that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Since you are going to tow something substantial, @Abe's 1987, do not use stainless bolts. Use real, non-counterfeit grade 10.9 or 12.9 bolts. There's no need to thread lock them if you torque them properly. In fact, use anti-seize. Future you will thank you for that.
Great will do.

Reactions: Asterix

·
Registered
60 Posts
Will darn. I assumed based on some bolts I had at home that I tested the bolt size should be a m12x1.25, but no go. I know the seat belt bolt on the floor point fits but I don't know the size on that. I tested it at lowes and it fit snug in the m12x1.25 but it is a tad to big and m10 are to small for the mounting hole.

·
Registered
60 Posts
All the bolts used in the mk3 supra's, are they metric or standard?

I just read the metric has classes of 5.8, 8.8, 10.9, and 12.9 while a standard (SAE) has grades of 2, 5, and 8. My guess is if the mounting bolt for the hitch is SAE I'll be getting the grade 8? I'm thinking the mounting point for the hitch has got to be a 7/16 fine pitch bolt as m10 (too small) and m12 (too big) don't work. I'll definitely confirm this tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts