Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to repair or recondition one of the MKIV TT MAF units (22250-46030). One of these went bad on me and while I have found a couple of European MAF reconditioning companies they're mostly for Mercedes, BMW and other European brands.

Then I came across these videos which I have linked below detailing how to repair a couple of different 1990's Nissan MAFs. I am tempted to open up the bad MKIV TT MAF that I have to see if a simple desolder & re-solder of joints and/or replacement of other major electronic component (a resistor, capacitor or transistor for example, sourced new from Mouser or Digi-Key) might also bring one of these back to life.

Part of this investigation is to understand exactly what specific internal part of a MAF goes bad to begin with.

Has anyone ever tried this before or found a professional company that has successfully restored an MKIV TT MAF?

Aside, I have also heard that the UCF20 late model (VVT-i) LS400 MAF will work with a USDM MKIV TT ECU but I have yet to try one.

MAF repair examples:

And an example company that repairs MAFs (but not Toyota MAFs as far as they say):

·
Registered
806 Posts
I’m willing to put my foot in my mouth and say Josh and the guys at Relentless Motorsports in TX most likely can but I’ve never seen them specifically post a MAF. They fix every other electronic device it seems. Fun to follow their cleaned circuits on Facebook.

ECU gauges cluster hvac radio etc

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
I believe the only reason people haven't really repaired a stock USDM TT MAFS is because they're easily and cheaply found, and not all that desired anyway. Nissan guys with 240's and Z's and such with RB swaps etc tend to have limited budgets (yeah yeah I'm saying that nicely) so there's motivation for a cheap fix.
On the opposite end, Mercedes/etc high end cars tend to have high end prices on replacement components and those owners are largely disinterested in modifications, so a repaired component beats out spending hundreds if not $1k+ for a new part.

Whichever way you go, I'm interested in your results. I've really come to appreciate your keen attention to detail and I hope that someday I can see that SC300 of yours. I'd wager its one of the most meticulously detailed and well executed swaps on the planet. 🍺

Reactions: CinePhile

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pham-- I have recently learned about Relentless Motorsports and I may give them a call to see what they say, thank you!

Wreckless-- I see what you're saying and you're probably right. A different aftermarket exists for rebuilding parts on the high end European cars. I have a buddy into Mercedes vehicles and this seems to line up. I can't say for 80's-90's Nissan owners in general. I also like many of the best 90's Nissans myself but I have had no direct experience with them yet. That being said, I'm always open to either approach: research and roll up my sleeves to do my own repairs or in some cases seek out the services of a professional who regularly does very specific reconditioning work.

I will be looking into this further and I think I will open up one of my used MAFs that threw a CEL code 24 to see if I can learn anything.

And... I am humbled and honored by those kind words coming from you, Wreckless :) I just like learning how everything works and I also often need to be sure I'm doing everything right on (hopefully) the first try because messing something up can be quite expensive, haha. I've tried to keep my swap as close to how Toyota might have done it if they'd chosen to offer a 2JZ-GTE SC from the factory. It's just a stock engine swap so it's nothing overly impressive power-wise compared to many fast MKIV and SC builds but it is a lot of fun to drive and I always enjoy it.

I'd be very happy for you to see it someday! Hopefully by then I'll have had the full repaint completed so that it looks as nice as it sounds!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts