Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tractor fluid instead of ATF

Has anyone tried tractor fluid. Castrol UTC or John Deere "Hy-Gard" or Case-IH "Hy-Tran". The domectic boys have been using it in race and street cars including those with electronic trasmissions.

They may thighten up the converter just a bit. but they handle extreme psi and heat. They seem to eliminate all slippage on the top end of a run.
Here is what a semi pro racer on another forum had to say.
RAGE RACING said:
We have been using Castrol UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) in our Outlaw 10.5 car for the last 2 years. We mix about 2 quarts of Red Line synthetic to tint it. This stuff will take all the heat you can throw at it. We had a guy hang me on the trans brake for 12sec (so says the data logger) and the trans did not fail. Back in the day when we ran reg fluid the trans would have been toast. In case it matters the car is 3200lbs and has been [email protected]
Read more:http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=58907.0

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well those with a GM auto can try it with out worry. Just needed to know if anyone tried it with the Toyota auto

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The thread you referenced mentions using it in race transmissions like Powerglide and TH400. Fluids that are appropriate for those trannies are not applicable for an OEM Toyota transmission. Most Supra owners use Toyota Type T-IV fluid with great success. T-IV is quite thin and I would suspect the viscosity of tractor fluid is MUCH thicker, and as such I would never use it as a substitute. But if someone is willing to be a guinea pig, go for it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just as an fyi I have a trans werks built transmission and they only use dextron 3.

I just got it out of the shop (2nd gear sprag faliure) and the mechanic said the rest of the trans was in excellent condition. It's been running this way for about 4 plus years.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I run the tractor fluid in my Buick (200R4) and its just as claimed in the write up, works great and very hard to over heat even with the 3500 stall and I can drive it anywhere. Unfortunately I have no info or experience on the Toyota trans.. I thought about putting it in there too but have seen a few guys on here saying not to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts