Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Probable cause to #2 turbo failure,have pics now!

OK, let me start by saying I had blown my #2 turbo (12 year old stockers) not to long ago, So I took the oppertunity to finally order a single kit from BL (BL71GTS),and also BL4''exhaust and a BL fuel(1000cc) kit.
But when I finally got the stock twins off I took off the rear intake pipe and noticed the turbo seemed OK, here is where it gets strange I started to inspect more closely and saw the corragated intake hose (the one after the main intake pipe) was fully collapsed, as to where NO air could pass through.
Could this be why I thought my #2 turbo was blown, has this ever happened to anyone else?

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
I can't really say about the intake hose. My intake hose was perfectly fine. However, my #2 turbo shaft was broke in half :eek:( Busted twins is a great excuse to go single though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I recently replaced the twins from a 93. The intake hose was not collapsed.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Always wanted to order the single kit but they wouldn't blow. I even ran up to 24 psi. Finally when they did ( or didn't) looks like it could have been something else, I'll try to post a pic of the hose later.

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
I was talking about this yesterday with another supra owner. He wondered why his car was not making good power after driving for a while. Then he came to the conclusion the rubber intake hose gets soft from underhood heat and collapses under boost. A hardpipe kit fixed his issue.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That does happen but, this is not the hose that I was referring to there are two corragated hoses coming off the pipe that splits the intake air for both turbos.Thats where my problem was,on the hose headed for the rear turbo.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
SYONARA said:
That does happen but, this is not the hose that I was referring to there are two corragated hoses coming off the pipe that splits the intake air for both turbos.Thats where my problem was,on the hose headed for the rear turbo.
Post up spme pics of the collapsed hose, I'd like to make sure I know which hose you are referring to.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'd think boost would make the pipe ballon instead of collapse. Post a pic.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
supra400hptt said:
I'd think boost would make the pipe ballon instead of collapse. Post a pic.
i was thinking the same thing. and if they are 12 years old, shouldn't they be hard as a rock?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm looking for my camera now, I will post pics asap.Your'e right the the hoses are harder than rocks,but none the less they are sort of imploded, like a reverse balloon.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
Since it is an inlet it sucks air in so it implodes. If it was after the compressor it would balloon. Perhaps appropriately sized silicone couplers would solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Wow, the accordian portion apparently is made of a double layer and air got between the layers. Even the one on the left looks a bit inflated. It'll be interesting to find out if this is a freak occurrence or has happened to others and they never caught wind of it.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Thanks for posting pics. Talk about suffocating, the passageway i tiny now. I would think a single walled coupler would solve this problem.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man, I thought those hoses were singled walled constructed too and after finding this I was very surprised. Don't get me wrong I glad I went single now ,BUT, I just wished someone had mentioned to look at these hoses.
So, I thihk someone should start adding these hoses to the list of things to check if you think your stockers are not performing up to task.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Man this is a great post. Im going to check mine out and just switch it to silicone to prevent any issues up the road. It is quite possible that contributed to the failure of the turbo. The turbo probably had to overspeed to maintain the same boost/airflow level. How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
SYONARA said:
Man, I thought those hoses were singled walled constructed too and after finding this I was very surprised. Don't get me wrong I glad I went single now ,BUT, I just wished someone had mentioned to look at these hoses.
So, I thihk someone should start adding these hoses to the list of things to check if you think your stockers are not performing up to task.
Let's see if anyone else has this problem. This could be an isolated case of someone spraying carb cleaner, starter fluid, combustion chamber cleaner, etc. in through the intake.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm the only one who maintains my car and trust me I've never sprayed carb cleaner any where near the car.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
I will be checking this out on my car as soon as I get it back. This could definitly be a hidden cause of pre-mature stock twin death.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Has anyone checked to see if this has happened yet to a friend or fellow Supra owner?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts