Supra Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
So long as you use the proper drill bit size you won't have to tap them again, worst case start small and go up from there.

ps. Nice ass in your avatar!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had mine out in 2 minutes with no damage. Just get a goose-neck lighter from the dollar store. They are used to light up BBQ's and have a long flexible neck.
Rip the rubber part off of the bumpers, take the lighter and heat up the screw head for a good 30-45 seconds...remove the heat and quickly unscrew it. Voila!
The screws come out so clean and intact you could resale them :)
Spot on, if you heat these screws up before you even attempt to turn them you should have no issues.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
ttt....

why the fuck did toyota loctite the damn screws in?

Im stuck with nothing but 4 stripped ass screws and all the rubber ripped off to the backing plate. Probably going to try the butane lighter method and see if they will come out.

Jason

·
Registered
275 Posts
ttt....

why the fuck did toyota loctite the damn screws in?

Im stuck with nothing but 4 stripped ass screws and all the rubber ripped off to the backing plate. Probably going to try the butane lighter method and see if they will come out.

Jason
Jason, don't take a butane lighter to it. Is the backing plate still attached to the fender? If so, what I recommend is to tape off the fender to prevent it from scratching. Then simply take a cutoff wheel and attach it to a dremel to cut a slit into the head of the screw and then simply take a screwdriver and slowly reverse it out. Mine was bonded to it to the point where I had to take a impact screw driver to remove mine.

·
Registered
872 Posts
the best,most easy way to do is by adding a washer or 2 to the under side of TOP bumper.it will stop any rattle. and cheap too.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
I have already tried an impact screwdriver.....didnt do shit but strip the hell out of the screws.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
I have done this on every Supra I have owned and it is super easy.
First I tear the dry rotted rubber piece off just leaving the metal backing plate and 2 screws exposed. Then I tape off the paint around the backing plate. Then have the screw driver handy, but first I put a torch to the screw head until it starts smoking. That smoke is the loctite burning. As soon as it starts to smoke I remove the torch and grab the screw driver and the screw comes out very easily. Rinse and repeat for the other screws. I have never stripped a screw or damaged my paint using this method.

·
Registered
421 Posts
God, I hate these things. I really wish I had gone the heat gun route (I did not know they were loctited at the time), but my experience went something like this.

1. Stripped screws with impact screwdriver.
2. Got two out by drilling through them and using an easy out.
3. Had so much loctite on the others that the screw heads literally ripped off.
4. Easy out broke in the screw with a broken head.
5. Had to take the entire car to have an EDM machine forklifted into place to remove the easy out and screws.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
ok, good news here.....first off

THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY!!!!! that way anyone else doing this doesnt have to go through the hell of getting these out.

I used a propane torch(like plumbers use) and heated up the ones on the right side(not stripped bad) and what do you know....they came right out!

The driver side I had to cut a slot in each one with my dremel since the impact had messed them up so bad, and what do you know....they came right out!

I havent driven the car yet as I have to redo some leaky transmission lines, but I will update when I do

BTW, definately get the m5X12mm allen screws, makes things alot easier especially if replacing again in the future. They were .80 per pair at Lowes.

Jason

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just got back replacing by hatch bumper stopper and I, like everyone else, stripped the bolt horribly. Here is the technique to even loosening the bolt even after its stripped horribly, TORCH THAT SCREW TILL YOU SMELL SMOKE(becareful not to touch the plate or screw though) then remove the screw with your pliers,vice grip, or even your screwdriver if you havent stripped the bolt that bad. Itll loosen up EASILY just make sure you TORCH IT FOR ATLEAST A MINUTE then instantly turn the screw immediately.
*helpful tip definitely will work *

·
Registered
353 Posts
So, apply heat to it before even attempting to unscrew all the screws torch/heatgun/solder/lighter should all work, might have to hold it there for longer or shorter periods of time with each tool you use. Is what everyones trying to say! Personally im going to go with the solder way, heat them up a bit, then have a heat gun on the screw for a good minute, then keep it on while I attempt to unscrew the bolts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry for the old bump, but I've been searching and didn't want to create a new thread.

Previous owner seemed to have already replaced it with hex bolts - but they just spin freely.

Has anybody had luck accessing it from behind?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts