Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uggggg. My hatch has rust cancer at the bottom edge of the rear glass. Debating to get a carbon fiber hatch or repair my oem hatch. Noticed Garage Whifbitz has a new carbon hatch or as the brits call them boot. Are carbon hatch more for show cars or DD driver? How’s the fitment?

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,273 Posts
Uggggg. My hatch has rust cancer at the bottom edge of the rear glass. Debating to get a carbon fiber hatch or repair my oem hatch. Noticed Garage Whifbitz has a new carbon hatch or as the brits call them boot. Are carbon hatch more for show cars or DD driver? How’s the fitment?
If you care about preserving all factory parts with VINS, you probably want to try to repair it. For me, I already done it twice in the past 8 years, second time we even tried treating the metal with anti corrosive paste, I think its made by eastwood. Anyways, rust came back again, some in the area not previously rusted.

One of the things kept me from getting the carbon one was matching vins, another is the OEM wing. you either have to go wingless, or modify the hatch to mount the wing, that will also not match in CF, unless you paint the carbon fiber hatch.

·
SUPRAFICIAL
1,518 Posts
I've been looking into the same thing. except im waiting until i can afford to have the car professionally painted. i'll be replacing as many dented panels as i can to reduce the amount of body filler required.

Personally im not worried about resale value, i never plan on getting rid of the car so no reason to even consider what it will sell for.

I havent heard much on how well those cf hatches fit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a cf hatch sitting in my room awaiting to go on and I’m going to install the oem wing on it. We test fitted the wing and it fits just fine. I don’t have any rust on my stock hatch but I’m going to keep it in storage. I say go for a cf hatch and save some weight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Boost Junkie
12,399 Posts
Carbon hatch will save around 14lbs if you use the factory glass. Probably not worth it. I had one on my car when I went for the wingless look. I moved the battery to the trunk then as well. After the car didn't feel as stable up top, I ended up putting the factory one back on with the wing and the car felt much more stable at 100+mph.

Steve

·
Registered
107 Posts
Carbon hatch will save around 14lbs if you use the factory glass. Probably not worth it. I had one on my car when I went for the wingless look. I moved the battery to the trunk then as well. After the car didn't feel as stable up top, I ended up putting the factory one back on with the wing and the car felt much more stable at 100+mph.

Steve
That doesn’t sound right to me. You removed 14lbs by switching hatches but added weight by putting the battery in the back... why would it feel weird if you added weight? Most of the drag Supras either have cf hatches without a wing or stock hatches without a wing and they are doing just fine up top. That’s just my thought

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
That doesn’t sound right to me. You removed 14lbs by switching hatches but added weight by putting the battery in the back... why would it feel weird if you added weight? Most of the drag Supras either have cf hatches without a wing or stock hatches without a wing and they are doing just fine up top. That’s just my thought

He moved weight around. The worst thing you can do for a car is pull weight off the rear wheels...

·
Registered
107 Posts
He moved weight around. The worst thing you can do for a car is pull weight off the rear wheels...
I understand what he did. But he said he moved his battery to the trunk at the same time. So if he had a stock weight battery than it’s going to put that weight right back there. That’s what I’m trying to get at. Unless he had a tiny battery but still. He could have reworked his suspension to maybe get a better feel for the car.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,227 Posts
the car didn't feel as stable up top, I ended up putting the factory one back on with the wing and the car felt much more stable at 100+mph.
He could have reworked his suspension to maybe get a better feel for the car.
Nope, the high-speed instability was because the wing is actually functional, providing lots of pounds of downforce (read weight) as speed increases. Without the wing, the rear starts to lift at speed. Suspension adjustments won't substitute for that. Like HotSoup said, "The worst thing you can do for a car is pull weight off the rear wheels".

On another note, does anyone know for certain how much the stock wing weighs?

·
Boost Junkie
12,399 Posts
The stock wing weighs next to nothing, maybe 2-3 lbs. I put the factory hatch back on to get the wing back on the car. It does make a difference up top. I run a PC 680 Odyssey battery, which is about 26lbs. That stayed in the back too. The more downforce you can have out back the better in my opinion.

Some of these guys running 1/2 mile events in wingless cars have had issues and have lost control up top.

Steve

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nope, the high-speed instability was because the wing is actually functional, providing lots of pounds of downforce (read weight) as speed increases. Without the wing, the rear starts to lift at speed. Suspension adjustments won't substitute for that. Like HotSoup said, "The worst thing you can do for a car is pull weight off the rear wheels".

On another note, does anyone know for certain how much the stock wing weighs?
His problem wasn’t the lack of weight than. Like mentioned, if the cf hatch dropped 14lbs but he added the battery back there, he gained weight which in my opinion would help with traction a bit. His problem was the lack of the oem wing, not the weight. This is all just my thoughts and opinions. I believe if he would have found a way to mount his oem wing than he would have been just fine.

·
Boost Junkie
12,399 Posts
His problem wasn’t the lack of weight than. Like mentioned, if the cf hatch dropped 14lbs but he added the battery back there, he gained weight which in my opinion would help with traction a bit. His problem was the lack of the oem wing, not the weight. This is all just my thoughts and opinions. I believe if he would have found a way to mount his oem wing than he would have been just fine.

I am not sure if the carbon hatch is reinforced enough to handle the stock wing, especially with how it is attached. I was wary and for 14lbs of weight savings, I'd rather use the stock steel hatch that is strong enough to handle it.

Steve

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am not sure if the carbon hatch is reinforced enough to handle the stock wing, especially with how it is attached. I was wary and for 14lbs of weight savings, I'd rather use the stock steel hatch that is strong enough to handle it.

Steve
Totally understand. I have seen a few cf hatches with the OEM wing attached. Speaking of the OEM wing, is there a little rubber gasket type thing that goes in between the wing and trunk? I thought I read somewhere that there’s something but I can’t remember.

·
Super Moderator
3,782 Posts
Totally understand. I have seen a few cf hatches with the OEM wing attached. Speaking of the OEM wing, is there a little rubber gasket type thing that goes in between the wing and trunk? I thought I read somewhere that there’s something but I can’t remember.

Yes

·
Boost Junkie
12,399 Posts
Yes, the factory gasket is pretty thin. You can get them and copy them with a little thicker material as well. That is what I did.

Steve K.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts