Supra Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
437 Posts
Brian, do you remember if your Seibon hatch had metal threading built into the CF for hinge, struts etc?
Can't remember... been a while.

Hey all,
First post. Waited a long while for account verification.
Bought a 1993 TT back in september. If I may add, I as well had the rust issue on the hatch when I bought mine. I took it to a local body shop (had great reviews and club recomendations) and the hatch glass had to be removed in order to properly and completely rid the rust. The body shop used a glass company to remove it and shattered the glass like a noob.
I post this as a warning, of which Im sure 99% of you probably know already.... The glass itself was impossible to find. They had to buy a whole used hatch off a presumably wrecked supra. Just a word of warning, hope nobody has to go through that.
Yeah when I restored both of my Supras, I was lucky they did not break the rear glass when transferring to the carbon rear hatch... we checked and confirmed it was not available. Scared the heck outa me... but we got lucky. My Silver Supra, we opted to rope the glass when repainting and not risk breaking the glass.

·
whodat
63 Posts
I had the same hatch rust issue and after many different outrageous price quotes to fix it, I decided to get the Seibon hatch. I received and installed it yesterday. The Seibon hatch did indeed come with metal threading for your struts and they seem to work just fine (original wingless). Honestly I was concerned about the struts not working because they no longer held up the original hatch, they hold the cf hatch up with no problem, granted the glass is still out. Now to find a good shop to swap the glass for me is my next step, as I would hate to have the glass break!!!

IMG_20180621_191252932_2.jpg

IMG_20180621_191415912_HDR_2.jpg

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I had the same hatch rust issue and after many different outrageous price quotes to fix it, I decided to get the Seibon hatch. I received and installed it yesterday. The Seibon hatch did indeed come with metal threading for your struts and they seem to work just fine (original wingless). Honestly I was concerned about the struts not working because they no longer held up the original hatch, they hold the cf hatch up with no problem, granted the glass is still out. Now to find a good shop to swap the glass for me is my next step, as I would hate to have the glass break!!!

View attachment 233305

View attachment 233307
I just picked up a used seibon hatch and installed it to check the fit. Like others said there is more gap all around but not too bad imo. I will be getting it painted to match my car and swap over the oem glass soon. I may add a wing to it later depending on how it feels at high speeds.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have a cf hatch sitting in my room awaiting to go on and I’m going to install the oem wing on it. We test fitted the wing and it fits just fine. I don’t have any rust on my stock hatch but I’m going to keep it in storage. I say go for a cf hatch and save some weight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was it simple to install the window?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Can't remember... been a while.

Yeah when I restored both of my Supras, I was lucky they did not break the rear glass when transferring to the carbon rear hatch... we checked and confirmed it was not available. Scared the heck outa me... but we got lucky. My Silver Supra, we opted to rope the glass when repainting and not risk breaking the glass.
"Rope the glass?"

437 Posts
Roping the glass is the process of putting string or small rope inderneath the glass molding, pulling it up so you can extend the paint underneath the edge of the molding. If done correctly you do not have to remove the glass.

·
From the land down under
3,809 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up, Brian.

I thought I knew what it was referring to, but I was wrong. I thought they meant using rope to pop under the seal/molding to fold it back so the glass could be removed. As this is what was done on a lot of older cars from the 80's and earlier.

Im glad to know that this is a possibility, but I am concerned as my factory rear molding is a million times harder than my front windscreen molding, and almost impossible to lift up at the outer edge. Whether that was due to it being parked in a position where the sun was on the rear a lot more, I am not sure, but compared to the front molding which lifts easily at the outer edge, it could present a problem when it comes time to paint it.

I have all new moldings stored away, but given the risk of breaking the rear glass, Im not sure I would want to roll that dice.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,227 Posts
I was really worried about the hatch glass breaking when I had my car repainted. I stressed this point several times to the body shop owner, and made sure he know the glass was discontinued and not available aftermarket. He called in his best "glass guy" to remove it. Luckily, it did not shatter. YMMV.

·
From the land down under
3,809 Posts
It sure is a huge risk pulling apart our cars these days, with so many parts being discontinued.

At least we can rely on the Toyota Heritage Program to alleviate all of our fears...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Damn, I didn't know the rear glass was discontinued. My car has been in the paint shop here, since Sept.
I had my glass guy remove the rear glass to care of the rust, the body shop was afraid to pull the glass. It was not
too bad, rust area grinded down and repaired new seals around the glass. It was rusted at the left rear part below the wiper screw. I stripped the whole car down for paint, doors everything out I was amazed car is back to life again!

·
From the land down under
3,809 Posts
Damn, I didn't know the rear glass was discontinued. My car has been in the paint shop here, since Sept.
I had my glass guy remove the rear glass to care of the rust, the body shop was afraid to pull the glass. It was not
too bad, rust area grinded down and repaired new seals around the glass. It was rusted at the left rear part below the wiper screw. I stripped the whole car down for paint, doors everything out I was amazed car is back to life again!
Photos please :)

·
Registered
300 Posts

Attachments

41 - 54 of 54 Posts