Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys...my hatch rattles, and it annoys me, and makes my car sound like a cheap ford about to fall apart j/k about the ford comment. anyways.. i went to www.mkiv.com and got the new hatch replacement parts, however, i cannot for the life of me get the freakin screws off....what is the deal, did anyone have any trouble takin off the rubber cushion things?? i dont have a screwdriver that can go at angles, is this necessary?? i can tell that using a regular screwdriver, that its starting to get stripped and thats the last thing i want to happen....any ideas....TIA
kevin

·
Registered
207 Posts
I ended up stripping the head of the screws because they have loctite on them. So I just ripped out the rubber from the hatch stop. This will reveal a metal plate with a lip. You might have to bend the lip back a little. Get a small vise grip clamp it to the head of the screw and just slowly turn it a little bit at a time.

I replaced the philip screws with equivalent metric hex caps, so it will be easier to replace next time.

If you have not stripped the screws yet, some people tried heating up the screws with a soldering iron(melt the loctite/loosen it) but I didn't try this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had rippedthe rubberoff too. i even took it to the toyo dealership like an hr ago, and all they did was just strip the screws, but i figured i woulda prolly done the same thing. my next stop will be a body shop i guess to see if they can get off, if the vise thingy doesnt work. anyways, tell me, when u replaced the rubber cushions, did it stop the rattle?? thanks
kevin

A

·
0 Posts
My hatch used to rattle like a bastard. I stripped the screws too and ended up ripping off the rubber and that plate thingy. I used some vise grips, but be careful not to hit the paint. I did. They are hard to get out. The new rubber bumpers are different than the stock in that they have like a "back-up" piece of rubber on the bottom so they can't bend like the old style. I put some stainless steel metric allen head screws back in. No more hatch rattle! Alex 93 tt 6spd Hardtopper

M

·
0 Posts
I did the same thing, stipped the hell out of the screw (I even broke the tip off my screwdriver). Anyways I went to sears and they have a stipped screw removal kit that has three bits in it. That got them out.

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
I stripped those damn screws too and have yet to get them out. However, 90% off my trunk rattle was gone when I replaced the rubber bumpers that are attached to the hatch(not the body). They are MUCH MUCH easier to replace.

Another troublesome rattle that isn't too much of a pain in the ass to fix is the targa top.
Just remove the weather stripping, get inside the targa, and tighten 4 bolts.
Not a "peep" from my targa since...:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Some people have had success eliminating the rattle buy cutting small strips of bicycle tubes and putting them between the rubber bumpers and the hatch itself. Its easy and doesn't cost much to try. If it works great if not buy an EZ Out kits or get some vise grips. I used an EZ Out and it wasn't too bad.

/w

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah my next project is the targa, its not rattling at all really, but i can feel its a little loose on one side. i also just thought about placing something under the rubber hatch, but i already ripped it off. thanks for the tip on the ez removal stripped screw set. i will try and get one of these asap, we'll see if that does it...
thanks all
kevin

·
Very Senior Member
9,963 Posts
I had NO problem replacing my hatch bumpers.
Remove the weatherstrip gasket (it just pulls out) and you can get a good straight shot at the screws.
Get a phillips head that fits the screw head perfectly (there are considerable differences) and turn slowly with a lot of force inward.
Mine went on easily and stopped the rattle.
Another option is to cut off the old rubber and remove the screws with a vise grip.
BUt you have to get new screws and still have to get the right screw driver to install.

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
I would strongly urge you use an impact screwdriver that allows you to pound on it with a hammer while exerting a twisting force. Go slowly and keep it aligned as straight as possible.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I started a thread on MKIV a week ago on this called "lazy man's fix for rattling hatchback". My fix, spray a little silicone spray on the rubbers. No squeak for a month. Other notable lazy man fixes included innertube material on the top hard bumper, self adhesive weatherstripping on the bumpers, and just plain old tape. The innertube fix has worked for 2 1/2 years according to the guy who did it. I don't want to screw with the blue loctite from hell so me, I think I am going to the innertube fix!
Barry H. 94ttsupra "squeakless"

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
XCELR8 said:
I would strongly urge you use an impact screwdriver that allows you to pound on it with a hammer while exerting a twisting force. Go slowly and keep it aligned as straight as possible.
i took it to a toyota dealership, i saw them pounding it with a hammer, the only thing they did was strip my screws, and chip of the head of the screw :rolleyes: needless to say they were not much help at all. i woulda gone with the lazy fix, that is put something under the rubber piece, but too late now....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Another good fix is to get some velcro, and use the soft side, not the stiff, and place on the top stops. Looks like ass, if anyone notices but it sure makes it stop. I had to do this on both of my Supras.

T

·
0 Posts
i heated my screws with a mini-flame torch - you really need to heat them up quite strongly (be very careful with the paint!) - after a while you will see a little bit of smoke curling up from the screws (this is the loctite melting). While the screws are still damn hot - unscrew them QUICKLY (the loctite hardens fast).

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
There are two secrets to doing this job easily. 1. Heat the screws with a blow hair dryer, getting the screws hot enough to break the loktite grip (it doesn't take that much heat so don't burn your paint). I have never tried the soldering iron to the screw trick before so cannot vouch for that idea but it sounds like it might work okay too.
2. After heating the screws use an impact screwdriver to break the screws loose.

We did my Son's Supra the hard way and I had to drill out one of the screws. I did my Supra after coming up with the heating the screw idea and never had any problems at all.

If the screws easily come out of the rubber bumper on the hatch itself I would think shimming underneath that bumper would work fine to get rid of the rattle. For that matter if one gets the rubber bumpers off from the body I would think shimming them would work fine if one didn't have the new larger bumpers to put back on.

S

·
0 Posts
remove the rubber piece either from the trunk or lid adn put a wisher in between the rubber and metal. no more noise and you dont have to buy new rubber pieces.

·
Very Senior Member
9,963 Posts
smokn u said:
remove the rubber piece either from the trunk or lid adn put a wisher in between the rubber and metal. no more noise and you dont have to buy new rubber pieces.
The $8 for the new bumpers is well worth it.
As noted in the above posts - the hard part is getting the old ones off without tearing the screws up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have this annoying squeaking sound that comes outta my car from time to time. .. I thought maybe it would be the hatch, so I went ahead and bought a can of silicone lubricant spray today and sprayed down the rubber pieces.. but no luck.. =( still squeaks... I aslo tried to stuff papertowel between the two rubber pieces but still no luck.. =( do you guys think my squeak could be coming from somewhere else? or it could still be the hatch? thanks..

-Vic

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
Double up a wash rag and put one on each side and close the hatch then drive it and see if that gets rid of your squeak. If it does put the new rubbers in. Squeaks can come from a lot of places. One place that lots of squeaks come from is not having the spare wheel tightened down properly, not having the jack tightened down good and also the foam that is on either side under the trunk carpet. Good luck in finding your sqeuak.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Here's what I did:

1) Rip the old bumper stops off with piers.
2) Take a Dremel or Rotozip and cut into the screw head so that they have one deep groove that you can insert a medium sized flathead screwdriver blade into. This will solve the grip problems.
3) Apply pressure and turn screwdriver with a pair of pliers.
4) Replace old screws with new ones (since you just ruined them)

Result: no more squeeks!

If I could do it, anyone can do it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts