Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I ordered a A-Pillar dual pod from MVP about a month ago with my guages, but when it came in I found out that the holes came pre-drilled don't line up with any existing holes on my A-pillar (Well one does and one doesn't...please see pics below). After talking to Dusty (who says they should be line right up) I have a feeling that the 93.5's might have a different hole pattern for the A-Pillar.

I took some photo's...
Comparing side to side the lower hole lines up with the current snap-plug that currently holds the stock a-pillar in place, but the upper hole is about 1.5 inches above the stock snap-plug. Check it out.

Here is a wider angle view of the pillars so you can see that they are the same size etc.

Lastly, Here is a picture of the a-pillar. The blue squres outline where the stock mounting points are. The green X's show where the dual-pod screws hit.

The final thing that I found interesting is that even if both pre-drilled holes lined up with the stock mounting points the screws are WAY too small to mount in these holes (the holes are also not threaded holes as they are just holes for the snap-plugs to snap into.

Any help would be great...and if someone has an MKIV here in Cincinnati I would appreciate meeting up so we can compare these pillars.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw - I did send my originnal A-pillar Pod back to MVP and they checked it to make sure I didn't have a bad one (I didn't) the one above is a new one that Jason sent out to me.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
found this in another thread by EVL TTWIN

"Some people say, and I believe the instructions on the Lotek, to place the pillar pod over the stock piece. To me, that would look like crap. I removed my stock piece and installed a 2 gauge pod in its place.

Oh, and you'll really appreciate the great engineering of Lotek. Where the two screws go to mount the new pillar pod, there are holes in the pillar of the body of the car!!! Great thinking Lotek!!! Lotek should really call themselves Notek or Joketek.... Some people drill holes in their new pods and mount it, but that looks like crap to me. So, I spent the time to JB weld little pieces of 1/8" sheet metal over those holes in the stock pillar so Lotek's screws would actually hit something instead of air. Ok, I done venting about Loteks poor engineering skills....

Just a note for the general audience reading this, that with a 3 guage pillar pod, you lose 5% functionality of your visor. It can longer swing all the way done easily and without tweaking it.

Good luck. Any further questions, feel free to PM me.

James
93.5TT"

S

·
0 Posts
just fill the holes with some filler let it drill and then screw your apillar in place and done.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no idea why this got moved here....it's an install question or even could be considered a question about a specific year/model. Definately not trying to review the this pod... People have been using this thing for years...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up buying door plate hinges - and modifying them as new brackets...worked well. Guages installed.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
flash_e_gt said:
I ended up buying door plate hinges - and modifying them as new brackets...worked well. Guages installed.
pics please

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
im interested as well.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pics are on my camera of the holes, and I don't want to take the pillar off to do this, so I will just explain it.

Basically there are two M6 threaded holes in your a pillar (both of which are on raised 'bumps'.

Go buy a 4" door plate from home depot (this is the plate that goes into the frame of the door) (it is 4" long and about 1 inch wide).

The holes are about M6 size so you can use a locking washer to bolt it directly to the A-Pillar.

Cover it with Electrical tape.

Put the a-pillar in place and stick something sharp through the holes so that they mark the electrical tape with an indention.

Mark the apillar and the plates so that you can install them excatly in the same place as they are now.

Remove the plates and drill pilot holes into the plates large enough to use the provided self tapping screws.

Put the plates back in place, mount the pillar and screw into place with self tapping screws.

I bought replacement 1/2" screws because the ones they gave me were too long in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Lotek.....LOW TECH for sure. Does anybody make a quality piece for our cars?

Jason

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
flash_e_gt said:
pics are on my camera of the holes, and I don't want to take the pillar off to do this, so I will just explain it.

Basically there are two M6 threaded holes in your a pillar (both of which are on raised 'bumps'.

Go buy a 4" door plate from home depot (this is the plate that goes into the frame of the door) (it is 4" long and about 1 inch wide).

The holes are about M6 size so you can use a locking washer to bolt it directly to the A-Pillar.

Cover it with Electrical tape.

Put the a-pillar in place and stick something sharp through the holes so that they mark the electrical tape with an indention.

Mark the apillar and the plates so that you can install them excatly in the same place as they are now.

Remove the plates and drill pilot holes into the plates large enough to use the provided self tapping screws.

Put the plates back in place, mount the pillar and screw into place with self tapping screws.

I bought replacement 1/2" screws because the ones they gave me were too long in my opinion.

it probably took you a few mins to write this up, but i cant really visualize what you are saying.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for some reason my pics aren't coming up...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts