Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I posted here, but dont worry guys I still cycle through the pages on occasion.

Me and a buddy of mine are decidedly bored and looking for something to do on my supra. I think its time we replace the HG, not necessarily because it needs it but it might in the near future and I'm starting to eye more power.

I've already read all the posts about MHG and the like so I already know what I'm doing with that. My question is: While I've got the head out what else should I do? Time is no big problem, I'm in no hurry. I'm really just looking for experience. While I've go so much stuff out of the way, what else should I work on? Give me some ideas, remember im bored, have time, and want experience.

For reference, the engine has almost 150k miles on it and hasnt been rebuilt to the best of my knowledge. At first I thought about doing a full engine rebuild but there really isnt a reason, its running like a champ right now. Cost is sorta an issue, but I got all the time in the world. So, Ideas!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Take a compression reading on all of your cylinders. That should determine whether you need to rebuild the bottom end. You should also determine how much power you're interested in. If you build the bottom end, power might determine whether you want to upgrade your pistons. People have run pretty good power with stock pistons but not everyone gets away with it as it requires good tuning and the right supporting mods. Higher power might also find weaknesses that aren't seen with your stock power. You might want to have a professional look at your head while it's off or check for leakdown while it's on. I know you've read about the MHG but I'll reiterate that you should deck the block and resurface the head.
Most 7M power comes from bolt ons.
Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I'm getting everything done right, firm believer in doing it right the first time. Not really looking at major rebuilding, tho, unless I can tell it needs to be done once I get there.

More of what I'm looking for are tedious things that need to be done on a higher milage engine and take a lot of time. So nobody necessarily wants to do them but they need to be done... that sort of thing I suppose. Any tips/advice/ideas would be great.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Ganistari said:
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I'm getting everything done right, firm believer in doing it right the first time. Not really looking at major rebuilding, tho, unless I can tell it needs to be done once I get there.

More of what I'm looking for are tedious things that need to be done on a higher milage engine and take a lot of time. So nobody necessarily wants to do them but they need to be done... that sort of thing I suppose. Any tips/advice/ideas would be great.
In that case, other than rebuilding, there's not much else you can do with your head off besides inspection. You must resurface though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts