Supra Forums banner

Have to turn the key twice to start?

9K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  Freddie_2jz 
#1 ·
So I've had this issue for quiet a while now but never really looked into it... I have to turn the key twice to start the car. First turn I would hear like a buzzing sound (no matter how long I hold it for it would just buzz) then I would turn the key back to ACC and try it again and the car would fire right up with no issues. I honestly don't remember exactly when the car started doing this... If I have to pick an exact time, I think it was around after the relocation of the battery to the trunk.

Does anyone have any clue where I should even start looking?? It's a JDM TT.

any help/suggestions are always appreciated!

#41 ·
ha.... the answer was right in front this whole time.

I finally found some time to really get after this.. after hearing the success of Simo2007, I went ahead and bought a brand new one from Toyota... $60 dollars but meh... tired of turning keys twice so i bought it.

Shes finally fixed!!!! no more turning key twice lol.

The old one that I pulled said self timer relay tho. thought it was weird.

#3 ·
Break out the multi meter and get knee deep in basic testing. Check voltage at the key switch output, starter relay output, and starter when you turn the key to start. Also check that battery voltage when the starter actually engages. Should be above 12v. Do you have any accessories like a turbo timer or aftermarket security system with starter kill installed? Definitely check all power and ground termination on the relocated battery. I'm sure something along those lines will kick it. Good luck!

#5 ·
I have the same issue as the OP on my JDM supra TT 6 speed. I bought it like that.

Been turning the key twice for 3 years now. Turns on right away on the second try. I do however have the clutch switch disabled so I don't have to press in the clutch to turn on the car. (bought the car with this already done.)

Never really read/searched about this issue. Will check whats stated above and report back when I get some time.

#6 ·
Electrical issues are PITAs. Identical problems can manifest differently due to intermittently connectivity issues. A partially blown fuse, oxidized terminal, or loose connection at a junction box can all cause the same symptom, or one of those problems can manifest differently from one car to the next. That said, also check for low hanging fruit like broken battery terminals, poor crimps, corrosion, loose connections in junction boxes, etc. Google "voltage drop test"; it's helped me before.

#7 ·
I have this exact same issue. After investigating, I figured there had previously been both a turbo timer and boost gauge fitted. I got under the dash by the ignition barrel and removed all the extra connections. Still have to turn the key twice though- anyone got a definitive answer on this?

#10 ·
The fuel pump and fuel pump ECU/relay are in the trunk. Start there, with a multimeter. Find out what is buzzing. Pull a wiring diagram for widget that is buzzing. Identify and verify the proper voltage behavior of the wires going into the widget when the key is turned. I suspect that the wire will read less than 12 volts on the first turn, then greater than 12 volts on subsequent turns.

#16 ·
Just collating some posts I've found regarding dodgy ignition cranks for reference later (aside from actual ignition switch testing), I'll post my results in comparison to their issues:

1) Burned out alternator fuse (from a guy with a MKIII)
2) Bad ground under the fuse box
3) Stock alarm tripped, manual disarm: go to drivers door lock once and passenger door lock twice to reset
4) Starter fuse in kick panel diagram here

#19 ·
Well I accidentally solved this today. There is a blue connector that goes to the top of the ignition about half way down the barrel, it looks like it powers the green light around the barrel. Removed the connector as it looked aftermarket (male part) and it starts off one turn now! Wonder if someone wired the aftermarket connector in the wrong way round... I’ll try to swap the wires tomorrow!

Let me know if this works for you guys!

#20 ·
Well I accidentally solved this today. There is a blue connector that goes to the top of the ignition about half way down the barrel, it looks like it powers the green light around the barrel. Removed the connector as it looked aftermarket (male part) and it starts off one turn now! Wonder if someone wired the aftermarket connector in the wrong way round... I’ll try to swap the wires tomorrow!

Let me know if this works for you guys!
Awesome man glad it worked out for you.
You have any pics of this connector ?

#26 ·
good find!! however, i'm pretty sure that blue connector thing is power line for the factory key ring light. I find it interesting that it's causing starting issue...

by chance did you replace the bulb with LEDs?? I know i've changed mine to LED bulb a long time ago.. I will also give it a shot myself by disconnecting it to see if it'll fix the issue!

#27 ·
good find!! however, i'm pretty sure that blue connector thing is power line for the factory key ring light. I find it interesting that it's causing starting issue...

by chance did you replace the bulb with LEDs?? I know i've changed mine to LED bulb a long time ago.. I will also give it a shot myself by disconnecting it to see if it'll fix the issue!
I’m stumped at why it caused it to be honest. The only thing I can think of is if the polarity is wrong. I’ve not touched the light it came over from Japan as it is. Certainly doesn’t seem bright enough for LED that’s for sure.

#31 ·
damn that sucks... did you try looking into the starter? connectors? there was a post on facebook and people here suggested following/testing the wires. Other people had the same issue and replaced the starter and it fixed the issue. I will be back home next week and will put the car up on jacks to try to get to the starter and investigate.

#38 ·
If this was an issue I also suggest replacing the EFI 1 and 2 relays in the same fuse box. I seen a few cars shutoff because of these getting warm not to mention age.

DP

Reactions: supralover93
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.