Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awesome man glad it worked out for you.
You have any pics of this connector ?
This is what it looks like. The connector runs over the top side of the ignition barrel. The blue connector that I disconnected is pictured.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is what it looks like. The connector runs over the top side of the ignition barrel. The blue connector that I disconnected is pictured.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
ok thanks for the pics. I'll give it a crack this weekend and see if I find something similar.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
good find!! however, i'm pretty sure that blue connector thing is power line for the factory key ring light. I find it interesting that it's causing starting issue...

by chance did you replace the bulb with LEDs?? I know i've changed mine to LED bulb a long time ago.. I will also give it a shot myself by disconnecting it to see if it'll fix the issue!

·
Registered
23 Posts
good find!! however, i'm pretty sure that blue connector thing is power line for the factory key ring light. I find it interesting that it's causing starting issue...

by chance did you replace the bulb with LEDs?? I know i've changed mine to LED bulb a long time ago.. I will also give it a shot myself by disconnecting it to see if it'll fix the issue!
I’m stumped at why it caused it to be honest. The only thing I can think of is if the polarity is wrong. I’ve not touched the light it came over from Japan as it is. Certainly doesn’t seem bright enough for LED that’s for sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
yeh that's what i plan on checking first, the polarity of the bulb... (if by disconnecting that connector solves my problem).

Thanks for the update though! really appreciate it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry guys, worst case of false hope ever. This did not cure my problem, I'm now really confused as to why it was turning first time in some cases, and not in others. Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
34 Posts
damn that sucks... did you try looking into the starter? connectors? there was a post on facebook and people here suggested following/testing the wires. Other people had the same issue and replaced the starter and it fixed the issue. I will be back home next week and will put the car up on jacks to try to get to the starter and investigate.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sorry guys, worst case of false hope ever. This did not cure my problem, I'm now really confused as to why it was turning first time in some cases, and not in others. Back to the drawing board.
Change your starter relay in the fusebox in the enginebay.. job done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Change your starter relay in the fusebox in the enginebay.. job done.
FIXED!! Finally had some time to look at this. Put car on jacks got to the starter everything looked ok no rust or corrosion anywhere. Contacts looked ok from what I saw. Then as "supra mkiv" suggested up top to change the starter relay in the fuse box.

Went to my local junk yard and grabbed a starter relay from an old Toyota car for a few bucks. Got home and swapped the relays out and car started up right away from the first try....Started the car few times today and started up on first try right away :)

Guess we can't overlook the small stuff! Hopefully its an easy fix for everyone having this issue as it was for me just to swap out the relays. Thanks again "supra mkiv".

·
Registered
23 Posts
My turn to try this, just got to find a starter relay somewhere in the UK. Don’t suppose anyone has a part number for it? Thanks to supralover93, supra mkiv and dus!

·
Inline for the win
4,693 Posts
If this was an issue I also suggest replacing the EFI 1 and 2 relays in the same fuse box. I seen a few cars shutoff because of these getting warm not to mention age.

DP

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can confirm, changing the starter relay worked perfectly, car now only takes one key turn to start, tested it about 10x today. Really chuffed this worked.

The one I replaced it with is purple, the one I took out is dark grey. The new part number is 28300-10020 if anyone needs it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. The starter relay solved it. Made a quick video with the part number if anyone has issues in the future.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts