Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Great White
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i took my car to my dearest Longo Toyota to have some stuff done and i noticed when the service guy drove away that my brake lights dont turn on. So i asked the service manager if he could check why that was happening. He later called and said there was no power going to my lights. I didnt have him fix it because it didnt sound right. I mean... when i turn my headlights on... my rear lights turn on as well... just the stop lights dont go on when i press the pedal. I tried replacing the bulbs on one side but same problem. I thought maybe it was the brake light switch but i dont think thats the problem since my wing tail stop light does work. I checked the fuse for my stop lights and its good. Any ideas?

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
I'm all over this! My car had the exact same problem, and apparently it's common enough that there's a write-up on it at mkiv.com.

It's your Lamp Failure Sensor. It's a small module that's located in the drivers side rear 1/4 panel near the fuel pump controller. Here's a link to the write-up.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/failed_lamp_sensor_fix/index.html

In my case it was easy to see which solder connection was cracked, but I've had RX7's in the past (notorious for solder issues) and couldn't see ones that were bad. If you're good with solder, use a sucker to de-solder, then re-solder each connection one at a time (where the harness pins connect to the cirbuit board). If you're not as good with solder, you can often just touch the existing connection and re-melt it back.

Or, if you're *really* not good with soldering, you could just buy a new module.

In any case, just finding the box is the hard part! It's the little purple clip in the image. Lots of people get confused and pull out the fuel pump controller. Good luck-

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Sounds like cord4530 stated "lamp failure sensor". Had the same thing happen to me, re sodered it and works like a charm.

Lawrence

·
Banned
624 Posts
Yep just helped a friend fix this recently.
Only his LED brake was working.

At first we tried just resoldering the points.
No luck there, after adding some solder to the points the brakes worked again.

·
Banned
291 Posts
yup i had the EXACT same thing happen awhile back too and could actually see the broken solder point too..quick and easy fix. anybody could do it...well unless you have parkinson's disease, because you need steady hands to solder the tiny point

·
Registered
624 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Do the lamp failure sensor fix. Just re-solder all the connections and the problem is fixed.

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
Same thing happened to me last weekend. It was difficult to see the crack so we (well, cuemaster) just hit all the connections with solder since they're known to crack. I suggest you do the same to avoid pulling the box again. Just be careful not to bridge any connections.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is a fun problem to have if you're auto cuz the car won't go into gear once the break lights stop working. So if you didn't happen to notice that you're break lights stopped working you're stuck in P and have no idea why. All you can do is stick a screw driver into the gearbox to unlock it and go about your day. Luckily it wasn't LFS for me, just the fuse. Good times.

-Ash
'93 SUPRA TT BPU

·
Great White
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot guys... yeah changing the bulbs didnt do it for me and i knew the switch was working fine so what youre all suggesting regarding the "Lamp Failure Sensor" makes perfect sense! I actually did read that article but didnt think at the time that was the problem... sounded to technical for the type of problem i had. I know exactly where that box is since i had already pulled it out and checked it. It looked fine to me... but now that you guys mention how tiny the cracks may be... im going to resolder all the points. Thanks again!!

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
mysupratoy94 said:
Ok, so i took my car to my dearest Longo Toyota to have some stuff done and i noticed when the service guy drove away that my brake lights dont turn on. So i asked the service manager if he could check why that was happening. He later called and said there was no power going to my lights. I didnt have him fix it because it didnt sound right. I mean... when i turn my headlights on... my rear lights turn on as well... just the stop lights dont go on when i press the pedal. I tried replacing the bulbs on one side but same problem. I thought maybe it was the brake light switch but i dont think thats the problem since my wing tail stop light does work. I checked the fuse for my stop lights and its good. Any ideas?

Did you already check the fuse in the kick panel. The rear lights and brake lights are on a separate fuse. I am sure the mechanic probably did, but I had a blown fuse in there once that caused my break lights not to work. Might as well start with the easiest fix first.

·
Great White
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wanted to thank everyone for your help... the "lamp failure sensor" was the cause of the problem. I resolder two connections and it working once again! Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts