Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ashamed to say this but I am having troubles mounting tires on these sawblades.

I have done hundreds of tires since I became an apprentice and these just stump me.

I am mounting a Falken ZE512 225/50/16. The damn bead won't seat on the face part of the rim. The rim has a weird ridge where the bead is supose to seat but the tire won't come over it. I have tried everything I know. I got one of the mechanics I work with to help me and he tried for like almost 30minutes and then just said he doesn't know why.

Do these require special machines to mount them? We have a basic tire machine at work.

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Just use a crapload of bead lube and air it up until it seats. Stiff low-profile tires sometimes need 60psi or more to seat the beads, no matter what the manufacturer tells you.

Make sure the bead isn't covering up the back of the valve stem, that will stop you in your tracks :)

Just take it to a local tire shop if you can't get it done.

·
Registered
393 Posts
sometimes start pushing the air into the tire, and then smashing on the tread part of the tire with a hammer/knee pushes enough air into it to help it catch. lots of lubeage

·
Registered
149 Posts
i did this same thing last summer with my supra.

all i had to do is lube the crap out of it, and put about 60-70 PSI in them. just keep doing that till it beads, and yes it will sound like a gun just went off. put on them safty glasses and keep everything away from the tire. I also worked at a mercedies benz shop for a while, thats all we did over there. i did a set of 285 30 19's, took me 1 1/2 hours, and lots of dish soap in the end. worked really well. i think it was even sunlight dish soap.lol. anyway, it will bead ,and it will be load. just be carfull.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn I tried everything you guys said before except for this rope and bar trick IJ said.

I had put like 80psi in there and was like shit scared of this thing about to explode. We use this other stuff it's like a rubber liquid thing used for putting tires on so I used a ton of that stuff and it's really slippery and still no go. I tried beating the life out of it while it has 60 psi in it but still nothing.

Probably next week I will ask the guys that work next door to us they specialize in tires. I would have paid them to do it but I usually like to do things myself.

·
Registered
189 Posts
At the discount tire store I use they have this old 10 gallon propane bottle with a Levered Ball Valve mounted to it, they get the tire on the rim, then they use the bottle filled with shop air to instanly blow a huge volume of air into the tire blowing it onto the bead, it was a pretty cool home made tool and it worked great.

·
Registered
393 Posts
At the discount tire store I use they have this old 10 gallon propane bottle with a Levered Ball Valve mounted to it, they get the tire on the rim, then they use the bottle filled with shop air to instanly blow a huge volume of air into the tire blowing it onto the bead, it was a pretty cool home made tool and it worked great.

i had to use one of such items mounting trailer tires. extremly hard rubber ftl:

http://www.mowpart.com/images/67-201.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
IJ's recommendation works 99% of the time for stubborn tires.

I've heard stories from the old days of using ether, a match, and running away. It is supposedly a sure fire way of setting the bead.. Never tried it or have had a chance to see it in person..

·
Registered
784 Posts
Auto tranny fluid has always worked for me (with my sawblades) I just sanded them a bit with emery cloth, sopped atf to them then roughly 30 psi popped them on. Once i had a problem once because there was a rough spot on the bead of the tire. So i flipped the tire around and it went on the other way (was a bi-directional tire)

Rossman's idea with the ether/match is a surefire way from what ive seen, use it as a last last last resort though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sometimes a hammer will work, or recently at work we switched from the green goopy lube we've been using for years to a honey colored lube that is more like gel than anything. We switched because our tire supplier driver saw us having trouble seating a bead on a low pro tire, and he had some of this stuff in his truck and it seated at 30psi!

And plus, this stuff is excellent for corossion resistance. We switched a few tire season ago and we're a small town garage so we see the same cars every fall/spring and the amount of corrosion we see on the sealing surface has dropped substancially since we've started using this. Anyone who's owned a car in quebec knows how bad the salt is here. Ill try and remember to take note of the name of the product next time I go in

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've done pretty much everything you guys said except for IJ's trick and the match explosion.

Could someone please explain how I would go about doing the trick IJ said.

We don't have one of those tanks to fill air then let it all out quickly but I will check with the tire guys next door to us if they have one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You basically just put a rope around the tire and twist it with a pipe to add tension. We do the same thing sometimes with ratchet straps for tires that dont like to seat like tractor, trailer or wheel barrow tires

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh so it puts pressure around the thread of the tire making the air have to find another part of the tire to expand?

Alright if that's what it is I will try again next week when I'm at work.

·
Registered
393 Posts
yeah i have a belt you push air into and it shrinks to do the same effect. you put it in the center of the tire tread, tighten it up and it squeezes in the tire and helps push the tire over the lip. good luck

·
Registered
557 Posts
They also have a tool called the "cheetah." Its a tank that can hold up to 15lbs of pressure, you fill it up and release all the air at once into the bottom lip[ of the wheel. That should blow it up. I don't understand why it doesn't work, i mounted a bunch of 245's on mine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts