Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm in the process of doing a metal headgasket, got my spare head to the machine shop, came home and i was unbolting the head from the car today and all the bolts loosened up except one. it's rounded off and i dont know what i should do to get it out. it's factory headbolts so it's the 10mm allen bolts. the only way i figure it happened is when i was putting the head on my buddy was helping me and he might have used the wrong size allen.

the first thought that came to my mind was buy some epoxy fill the bolt with it then put the socket in it and let it cure. mabye put the socket in there and weld it togather. has this happened to anybody else?? what's the easiest way to fix it?? i've got a week or 2 till i get my other head back so i'm not in a big hurry but the quicker i get it off the more time i have to clean up my engine bay and replace some random things. thanks

Andy

·
Registered
601 Posts
Damn that sucks dude. Im sure you cant use a bolt extracter cause of the torque on the bolts. The extractor would probably break. Ummm maybe the welder might work :dunno: good luck

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i thought about the bolt extractor thing but just as you said i dont think it'll work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OOOOh! A really sticky problem. The only thing I could suggest is possibly (as you already mentioned) find the best fitting socket & weld it on if you don't mind saying goodbye to the socket after you get it out.

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
I've never had good luck with epoxy, jbweld, or whatever. I'd recommend a star socket and a 5 lb sledge. If not search. Someone had the same problem recently and got a slew of suggestions.

·
Registered
601 Posts
HOTSUP said:
OOOOh! A really sticky problem. The only thing I could suggest is possibly (as you already mentioned) find the best fitting socket & weld it on if you don't mind saying goodbye to the socket after you get it out.
Thats why you use a craftsman socket :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
You know, I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. I thought i was in deep.

If you look at the head bolts, the socket part is quite deep. A lot of times just the top part gets rounded off and it looks like the whole bolt is screwed especially with all that oil in there.

I took the 10 mm Hex socket and took a small hammer and slowly knocked it all the way in.
It actually was good towards the bottom and i was able to open that bolt up.
Bolt extractors won't work in there ( limited space)

Try it man, its worth a try.

Next thing would be is to weld another bolt ontop and then use that for the wrench.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If all else fails, get a 9mm socket and hammer it on.

I had to do that on my differential fill bolt; it took more than one attempt and a lot of profanity to suceed though.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
limequat said:
I've never had good luck with epoxy, jbweld, or whatever. I'd recommend a star socket and a 5 lb sledge. If not search. Someone had the same problem recently and got a slew of suggestions.
yeah that's what some of my buddies were saying, use a star socket and hammer away. oddly enough they also said somebody would call me a newb a tell me to search. we all got a kick out of that. :bigthumb: i found a thread that said try heating it up till it's red hot but wouldn't that fuck the head? i guess if nothing else works i'll try to weld it, that seems like the most solid solution. and i'll try hammering the 10mm socket down like SUPRASTANGER507mgte said. hopefully i'll get it done tomorrow before work. keep the ideas coming though. thanks

Andy

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
xpadawonx said:
yeah that's what some of my buddies were saying, use a star socket and hammer away. oddly enough they also said somebody would call me a newb a tell me to search. we all got a kick out of that. :bigthumb: i found a thread that said try heating it up till it's red hot but wouldn't that fuck the head? i guess if nothing else works i'll try to weld it, that seems like the most solid solution. and i'll try hammering the 10mm socket down like SUPRASTANGER507mgte said. hopefully i'll get it done tomorrow before work. keep the ideas coming though. thanks

Andy
Welding would work too... just the space is kinda tight. I don't think I'd be able to fit my MIG welder in there.

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Craftsman makes a good set of bolt extractors. It is used for bolts/nuts that you rounded off the flats. It gets hammered on and then use a socket over it to get it off. It saved my ass many times on turbo nuts, exhaust pipe nuts and even lug nuts that I didn't have the key socket for. The only problem I foresee is that on the head - space is very limited.

Here is the set that I bought:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952166000&subcat=Taps+&+Dies

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chriso said:
yeah i borrowed a set of those from my friend but they didn't fit down in there. if i had a set of my own i could grind the outside of the bit away untill it fit. using a dremel tool seems like a good idea all i'll need is to go buy a bit for it. do you remember exactly what you used? how long it took? i haven't taken my welder out to the car but i imagine i could get an arc down to that bolt. hopefully today we'll find out what works.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
HOTSUP said:

:werd: i would do this as a last attempt.

i was in the same boat as SUPRASTANGER507mgte, i mopped up some of the oil in there and was lucky enough to find that the bottom was still good.

im not sure if you are as fotunate as us tho...

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh thank god!! all i needed to do was hammer the shit out of the 10mm socket and the bolt was still good at the very bottom. thanks everybody for the suggestions. now i'm gonna go pull the head off. peace

Andy

·
Registered
601 Posts
xpadawonx said:
oh thank god!! all i needed to do was hammer the shit out of the 10mm socket and the bolt was still good at the very bottom. thanks everybody for the suggestions. now i'm gonna go pull the head off. peace

Andy
Well Im glad it wasnt that bad. See this is why I love the SF's cause people on here more than likely have already been through a similar scenario on their car and give good advice most of the time pending on who it comes from. Anyhow keep it for a souvinere. Anytime something like that happens I keep it around to remind me of what can happen. Its always good conversation with the guys too. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
xpadawonx said:

Andy

Told ya!!!. That bolt head is deeper than it actually looks. Awesome man...hope everything else goes as smoothly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts