Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Phantom Flipper
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's the deal. My Turbo is going in for a head gasket. I'm going to be using a new OEM stocker with ARP head bolts. My car has never had a BHG. I'm having the head machined. But here's my problem:

IIRC, the head bolts have to be retorqued after 500 miles. I'm going to be taking the car on a road trip in two weeks that will most likely be about 800 miles total. Am I doomed? I don't believe there's any way I can pile on 500 miles in less than two weeks before my trip. Is the additional 300 miles too risky? I am so freaked out about CAUSING a BHG due to not doing my head gasket properly.

· 92 TURBO
1,786 Posts
Caplax40 said:
Okay here's the deal..... I'm going to be using a new OEM stocker with ARP head bolts. My car has never had a BHG. I'm having the head machined. But here's my problem:

IIRC, the head bolts have to be retorqued after 500 miles....................
^WHY retorgue? Your using ARP's so IMO, it's not necessary. I would just torque the head down in 4 passes in proper sequence to 75 ft/lbs using the ARP moly lube on the threads and under the washers. I did 20,40,60,75 ft/lbs in sequence.

Mike

· Ludicrous speed! GO!
2,559 Posts
Yeah, I don't think its absolutely necessary to retorque at exactly 500 miles. You can probably get away with 900 miles. Its not like they completely back out at 500 miles exactly.

The thing is that they stretch due to heat, if they are not already heat treated. As long as you don't beat on it, and do retorque it at the end of your 900 mile roadtrip, you should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.