Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
Just a quick question for those that have used a torque plate when boring/honing, is it necessary to use a headgasket under the torque plate or is it ok to just use the torque plate by itself? I accidently threw out my old headgasket and am worried about using a new one when my block is being bored because I'm afraid it might cut the headgasket.

And info is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Yes, use a headgasket to preserve the block surface. The old one would have been ideal.

If you have a new Toyota genuine one, depending on your overbore it may trim it a little but that's of little consequence. If you have an aftermarket HG most of those are 87-88mm bore so you should be fine for an overbore up to those thresholds.

Can also buy a cheap ebay throwaway aftermarket gasket for an SC300 for ~$30 or so and use that instead of your new nice HG.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, use a headgasket to preserve the block surface. The old one would have been ideal.

If you have a new Toyota genuine one, depending on your overbore it may trim it a little but that's of little consequence. If you have an aftermarket HG most of those are 87-88mm bore so you should be fine for an overbore up to those thresholds.

Can also buy a cheap ebay throwaway aftermarket gasket for an SC300 for ~$30 or so and use that instead of your new nice HG.
Awesome idea on the ebay throwaway gasket Wreckless! Thanks for coming to my rescue again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts