Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any specific head height measurement for comparison to figure how much has been shaven off of a head? I need to know to ascertain the proper HG thickness. I know what I previously took off of it but more could have been taken off in the past.
Couldn't find the answer in a BHG search.

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
will need to get a stock head that has not been shaved and calculate the difference from a shaved head to find out.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much for the responses. That gives me definitive parameters to work with. So if I had a 1mm differential, I'd be looking for a 2.2mm head gasket which would end up being a 2mm seeing as that is the closest available. Is that correct?
I measured 15mm instead of 16.
BTW D-DUST, I used a caliper to make the measurement.

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
well dont forget that the measurements you put in will change after you torque your head!

ex: I use 1.5mm and torque it to 90 ft-lbs. I probably more likely now have a 1.450~475mm(rough estimate) or, correct me if im wrong.

height of the head sure does affect the timing because of how the belt sits in the teeth grooves on cam gears. Ive shaven so much materials from the head and raised the compression and tried to keep the compression to stock by getting thicker head gasket. done gone and got 1.5mm from greddy and now im facing timing issues

car will not idle right beccause the belt sits on the cam gear with the notch pointed one tooth to the right of the aligment notch on the backplate (on the head-behind camgears)

I am faced with this type of problem because the deck height has dropped slightly and caused the cam gear not to align properly to the noon position. instead its a tooth to the either left or right. no fine tuning available here :(

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3p141592654 said:
I presume you meant 115mm. 1mm off is a crap load. You may want to consider finding another head if you plan to mod this engine.
Yes, I was just assuming the hundred part was understood. It's 115.
That's another head on a 7M on a stand that I used for fabbing parts. I was using it as an example.
The engine I have is well modded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts