Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all you up and running nat guys. I need your professional opinion.
I'm trying to start on my nat project and I purchased a 2jzge to port, polish and totally rebuild. I'm shooting for big numbers to the wheels(no less than 500) one of my bud's said that getting the head and having the work done on it is a big waste of time. I thought I needed head work and internal work to push the high numbers? please help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nope, you won't need any head work until around 650-700whp and even then you can still push those numbers through a stock head...just throw some cams in it and with the right Turbo and supporting mods you'll make those numbers with "ease"...

Dave

·
BoostAddict4Life
2,012 Posts
turbodg said:
Nope, you won't need any head work until around 650-700whp and even then you can still push those numbers through a stock head...just throw some cams in it and with the right Turbo and supporting mods you'll make those numbers with "ease"...

Dave
you cant throw in cams..... you can do the intake cam thats it.

there are na-ts out there 600-650 without head work, get the right kit and the right supporting hardware you will make the power.

·
miata owner...
1,367 Posts
gamimnon said:
you cant throw in cams..... you can do the intake cam thats it.

there are na-ts out there 600-650 without head work, get the right kit and the right supporting hardware you will make the power.
actually he can get some crower 272 regrinds cams which i run or he can weld in a tt cps sensor instead if he wants more cam option

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so I have an extra head, no big deal. Can you guys give me a list of these supporting mods that I need? So far I have a 272 intake cam gear.

·
FUCK JDM
3,933 Posts
Scottie G said:
Okay, so I have an extra head, no big deal. Can you guys give me a list of these supporting mods that I need? So far I have a 272 intake cam gear.

Good laugh :iwdumbass

i suggest u do lots of research before you start modding, judging from ur post, u have no clue what so ever

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
Head work isn't required by any means but it will make your goals easier to achieve. Plus if you have the spare motor your tearing down and the time have it done. You'll hopefully be replacing valve stem seals in it anyway just have them do the work while its all apart. You can still use the stock valves but I'd upgrade the springs and retainers.
FYI: I gained about 50rwhp after I had my head ported. Thats about %10 more power. :) It was worth it to me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
neostreamsupra, cloud, I'm doing the research as we speak. this post was part of that research. I'm really glad I was able to give you two a good laugh but please, can we keep this on topic. I got it 272, cam shafts not gears. I'll remember this ball busting lesson.

·
miata owner...
1,367 Posts
Scottie G said:
neostreamsupra, cloud, I'm doing the research as we speak. this post was part of that research. I'm really glad I was able to give you two a good laugh but please, can we keep this on topic. I got it 272, cam shafts not gears. I'll remember this ball busting lesson.
not trying to give you a hard time but sorry i couldn't help a good laugh =]

but for the exhaust side you can run a crower regrind

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
actually thats news to me too. you cant run an intake cam without modding the head on a GE? mines OBD1 if that makes any diff as far non VVTi. Im adding MK3 cps, MKIV coils/ignitor to go DIS with AEM so I should be fine then as far as upgraded cams go? i think i was going to use a 264 cam on both intake/exhaust with my turbo.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
eblick99 said:
actually thats news to me too. you cant run an intake cam without modding the head on a GE? mines OBD1 if that makes any diff as far non VVTi. Im adding MK3 cps, MKIV coils/ignitor to go DIS with AEM so I should be fine then as far as upgraded cams go? i think i was going to use a 264 cam on both intake/exhaust with my turbo.
A TT aftermarket intake cam will work "as is" on a GE OBD1 head. However, the cam/crank position are driven off the exhaust cam through the distributor gear; consequently, your only options are to 1) regrind the exhaust cam to get a different duration with the addition of lash caps, or 2) reinstrument the motor with cam/crank sensors that are compatible with the AEM.

-scott

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
the is300 heads come without a distributor right? can we run the is300 heads(since they already come with coilpacks) with the mkiv aftermarket intake and exhaust cams? do we still need crank/cam position sensors?

·
miata owner...
1,367 Posts
chidoks said:
the is300 heads come without a distributor right? can we run the is300 heads(since they already come with coilpacks) with the mkiv aftermarket intake and exhaust cams? do we still need crank/cam position sensors?

why not just run a gte head? its bolts right up and you have more variety when choosing a exhaust manifold and intake manifold

1 - 16 of 16 Posts