Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched for a few hours and have yet to find what I need.

I am in the process of replacing a blown head gasket and I have the motor stripped down to the cams. It is clear that the cams need to come out to access the head bolts. My question is, how do I assure they go back in the correct position upon reinstallation? Do I need to mark them? Will they only go in 1 way? I have the Mitchell On-Deman Service CD for this, but would like some additional advice.

People say the head removal is easy, but I dont want to pull something off that I cant put back on correctly.

A second question I have is, How much does a head gasket job usually run at a shop or the dealer?

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
the cams can only go in one way, the front of the cams have the holes for the cam gears and the intake cam has the 2 fingers for the cam sync. the only specialty tool you need for the removal is a 12mm 12point socket to take out the head bolts, other than that i would recomend a cherry picker, it makes the lifting part much easier, i just took mine off with the manifold and turbo still attatched. only took me about 3 hours from start to finish including cleanup for removal, install should be not much longer...

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Be sure to remove the head bolts in the manner prescribed in the Toyota Factory Service Manual (FSM) to prevent warping the head. Same when re-installing them -- be sure to follow the prescribed sequence and tightening intervals for torquing them. Also, be sure to re-install the cams according to the FSM (a total of 256 torquing steps for the 28 cam bearing bolts) so that the cams are aligned properly in the cam bore. I've heard of a few cases of cams breaking from improper installation, which tells you that the elaborate installation procedure is worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Thanks guys.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts

·