Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so as from the title my 7m ge head is stuck to the block. I'm not sure as to why it wont come off and I tried prying it and using a deadbolt hammer to free it but it's just not budging. So I'm asking and hoping someone else has gone through this issue and has a fix for it. Its currently at a shop and they said they cant get it off without breakin something trying to avoid that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't cut it off. 9 times out of 10 if something just won't budge, there is still a bolt somewhere holding it in. How many head bolts did you take out?

·
Smith & Wesson Member
664 Posts
I count 10 bolts on the ground, as mentioned by SupraForged, re-check it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I count 10 bolts on the ground, as mentioned by SupraForged, re-check it
All of em are out except 2 which seem to be kinda stuck in the block. one had to get the head ground down and the other is just spinning but not coming out.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
All of em are out except 2 which seem to be kinda stuck in the block. one had to get the head ground down and the other is just spinning but not coming out.
Please explain why you are attempting to remove the head knowing that there are 2 bolts still in????

If you stripped the head of the bolt, you will need to reinsert all the bolts and torque to spec to relief some pressure from the stripped bolt and try again. If that does not work. You will need a 10mm COBALT drill bit, machine oil and lots of patience.

Please explain the ground down the head comment.

Reactions: SupraForged

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please explain why you are attempting to remove the head knowing that there are 2 bolts still in????

If you stripped the head of the bolt, you will need to reinsert all the bolts and torque to spec to relief some pressure from the stripped bolt and try again. If that does not work. You will need a 10mm COBALT drill bit, machine oil and lots of patience.

Before I took the engine out and was at the point of taking out the head bolts the number 5 head bolt did not budge all the other came out fine even the one that for some reason is now stuck it came out. My mechanic ground down the head of the 5 head bolt to see if he could just lift the head up from the block.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Oh boy, that is no good. That is a sure fire way of twisting the crap out of the head.

There is zero room to grind the head down in that area.

You must drill from the inside of the head bolt... 12mm cobalt bit (i erronously said 10mm previously) will release once you get past the head of the bolt without destroying the head.

As a safety it will also catch the head of the bolt on the drill bit once you drill through and it attempts to launch into high orbit.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Wow, holy crap your shop is not helping you. They should have replaced all the bolts at some moderate torque to keep things all flat and all together before messing with the bolt. And a grinder is not a good idea, plus shows those guys/gals are guessing and do not know the correct procedure. No way they're getting that head off with a grinder without messing up the head bolt's mating surface with the head while they're doing it. Of course, they're going to tell you the internet folks don't know what they're talking about..

On the good news front, your cam journals look fabulous, so that is/was a rare amazingly good head before the shop called and said it's toast because they wrecked it with a grinder. Get it the hell out of that lawnmower shop and find an actual machinist. Someone who is a REAL machinist, not just a machine shop where the owner is a machinist and put a grunt on the job of using a grinder to knock the head off a bolt. You'll need a machinist anyhow now that you have at least two stripped head bolts holes in your engine block.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What shop is this so everyone knows to avoid there like the plague.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Meanwhile I'm over here begging for someone to sell me a head... kills the soul to know another one just died because of stupidity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts