Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I'm moving to Willow Grove sometime in August. Just putting my toe in the water to see what's out there so far as service/support and whatnot for my moderately battered 88 Turbo.

I'm looking forward to finally having a garage where I can work on the car, as well as parts stores where I can actually buy stuff that I can use. I'm tired of Turkish bullshit, and ready for the change.

My poor car has recieved numerous scratches, etc because of horrid traffic conditions here. I should post some pictures of the garage I have to wedge this behemouth into. Sets my heart racing every time I've done it. Done some cosmetic damage, and more recently had to sacrifice my drivers side mirror to avoid being totaled out by a crazy ambulance. Car looks kinda funny now with a black d/s mirror, but it'll be repainted (original silver, or as close a match as I can get).

Having the engine re-done, new gaskets and studs as well as some valve-work starting monday. Labor is cheap here, just have the annoyance of a 2 week wait for parts I may need. Should only set me back about 400-600 bucks for the whole shebang. Painting is probably gonna cost me 1g, but I'm having it done right. Heat sealed, detailed and everything. Should be nice, insallah (I hope).

Let me know what's out there so far as support, groups and anything else I may not remember. I've been in Japan for 3 years, and Turkey the last 2, so I have to re-adjust to being an American, with all that comes with it.

Later.

Witty

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Well I work about 10min from WillowGrove and on nice days I have a hard time NOT driving my Supra to work ...like today. Actually I've seen another black MkIV driving to work a few minutes from here but I haven't hunted him down to see who he is and what's up. I live like 40min drive south of WillowGrove so I don't know what's up here oriented toward import performance and support. Just my opinion and what I've heard from several Supra and DSM guys I know and respect their opinion, and this is news from over a year ago so who knows what and who is there now ...but avoid IMPO in Ivyland/Warminster area.

When you get to WG, post here and we can meet up for lunch as long as it's not in the DoubleVisions strip joint across from the base which is too tempting for me ...or so my wife says ;)

There are quite a few Supras in the Phila area and northern 'burbs so some of them might be helpful with info too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ya, as Nick said, avoid IMPO at all costs.. I know there is a local guy building a serious MKIII so im sure there are people in this area that can help you out. Let us know when you get here.

·
Registered
298 Posts
trainwreck said:
who is the local guy building a serious mk3?

Unfortunately I cant remember his name. I've heard of it from someone else, but from what he said it'll be putting down 700hp. He's somewhere around Doylestown, but i cant remember where or who is doing it.

·
Banned
612 Posts
stay away from IMPO.. they suck..

·
Registered
350 Posts
ttmkiv said:
Unfortunately I cant remember his name. I've heard of it from someone else, but from what he said it'll be putting down 700hp. He's somewhere around Doylestown, but i cant remember where or who is doing it.
ha, that was me, just wondering if there was gonna be another bad ass mk3 around? i was shooting for 630 boost alone, but im scaling things back, selling my turbo, and going with something smaller, in hopes of having a better all around car. gonna down grade to a pte67 with an .84 ar p trim exh side. my buddy is currently building an mk3 too with the same turbo, similar motor, but less fuel and ems. hoping to have better throttle response, and still crack 6 at the wheels with high boost.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm from the area too. I'm not there now because I'm stuck in VA for school but my little brother is building an MK3 from the ground up right now in the Yardley/Langhorne area. Well he's learning, I do most of the work when I'm at home, but it's good to start them young. My best friend should also be starting the work on his anthracite, NA 4th gen this summer.

I didn't even know IMPO was still around. I remember I went to over to the shop probably 5 years ago to check things out and it was a mess then, I knew an integra guy who swore by them, but I don't think anything major ever happen with that car. I did actually talk to them about 2 years ago when I was looking around for someone to install my new diff into the pumpkin, they quoted me like $600 to do it, if I brought them the pumpkin off the car, so there was no way I was paying that, I just called them because I was desperate.

·
Registered
298 Posts
trainwreck said:
ha, that was me, just wondering if there was gonna be another bad ass mk3 around? i was shooting for 630 boost alone, but im scaling things back, selling my turbo, and going with something smaller, in hopes of having a better all around car. gonna down grade to a pte67 with an .84 ar p trim exh side. my buddy is currently building an mk3 too with the same turbo, similar motor, but less fuel and ems. hoping to have better throttle response, and still crack 6 at the wheels with high boost.
Haha, thats cool. I had no idea who it was, i just heard about what you were doing from a guy at the gym. Where do you do your work? Do you have a shop or just do it in your garage? I'd like to check it out sometime.

Downgrade to a pte67? Haha, what were you planning on running. I've been running a T66 on my MKIV for a while now, and am thinking about switching up to something else, possibly setting it up for road racing with a smaller turbo. We'll see.

·
Registered
298 Posts
AlyssaC said:
ttmkiv, where in Bucks County are you located? Same question to you trainwreck.
Im right outside of Doylestown.. are you in Bucks also?

·
Livin the Supra Lifestyle
2,023 Posts
quakertown here. 35-40 minutes from willow grove. Always down for a cruise. Welcome :)

·
Lost in Dawg-land
550 Posts
AlyssaC said:
ttmkiv, where in Bucks County are you located?
Haven't we gone through all of this before? :stickpoke ;)

·
Lost in Dawg-land
550 Posts
ttmkiv said:
possibly setting it up for road racing with a smaller turbo. We'll see.

That shit is in the sink. PDA on May 7th I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts