Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the local performance shops (Blindside Imports and Racing Innovations) in Knoxville and searched the web for headers for m 89 NA. The only brand name out there that they could find was Pacesetter headers. I'm putting the HKS Dragger exhaust on soon and I wanted to change out the rusty ol' stock headers since I'll have the exhaust off. Do any of you know of any 'better' brand names out there? If not, do you think the $180 Pacesetters would work? Worth the small investment? What kind of HP gain am I looking at? Thanks,

-likwid

·
deadbeat extraordinaire
449 Posts
i don't have a N/A, but pacesetter is the only hedder i'm familiar with for your car.
i wouldn't expect a big gain, i'd guess in the 5-10hp range.

·
Boostless
686 Posts
I hear pacesetter headers need to be modified to fit properly. Paeco makes one, which from what I understand is just a modified Pacesetter. There is also this new OBX header floating around on ebay now. Haven't heard any feeback on that one yet...

·
greasemonkey
3,134 Posts
buy a doug thorley(trd) for a mkii and modify the collector to route to your cat. its a much better header. or search for the long discontinued tri-mil 6-1 and do the same. i have both, and no they arent for sale.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
MA70Supra88 said:
I hear pacesetter headers need to be modified to fit properly. Paeco makes one, which from what I understand is just a modified Pacesetter. There is also this new OBX header floating around on ebay now. Haven't heard any feeback on that one yet...
Yeah, I use to have a pacesetter header and I believe it had to be lengthened a little and the 02 sensor needs to be extended, but its a really good quality header IMO... aight peace :chicken:

·
Twin-Turbos 2X the Proble
806 Posts
I've done a lot of reading on header gains on the 7MGE. Guys who've run both Pacesetter and fixed it, and other header types say its the biggest mod they've done to their engines powerwise.

These are people who've done other fairly big mods on their 7Mge's, so I personally believe its worth it.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you go Pacesetter, you HAVE to bypass(get rid of) the 2-1 collector, and have a real one fabbed. If you look inside the 2-1, you'll see that its welded together so that the aperature is only like 1.5 inches!!! Go OBX- it's stainless, its cheaper than the ceramicoated (like I had), so it will last longer and look better.

·
greasemonkey
3,134 Posts
if i were you guys id have the collector modified to a 2.5in collector. my trd/thorley header has a 2.25in collector where as my 6-1 tri mil is 2.5in.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Thorley for 5M is hard to get. It is the best header available right now because it is already 2.5" at the collector.

I can modify the pacesetter to be full 2.5 for 5M or 7M since I have both cars at my disposal. I have offered that service for months and have yet to have 1 person ask for it.

This is why companies don't make headers for us!

G

·
Not sure what all this needed ''modification'' is for the pacesetter. I ordered one a few years back and it bolted right up to my head with no problems. I would ditch the supplied y pipe though. Maybe thats the modification???

·
greasemonkey
3,134 Posts
a bunch were just bought off of ebay a couple months ago. some guy found a stash of brand new ones somewhere. guess you missed out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts