Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm about to buy an 86 1/2 NA 5-Speed to use as a project car. I don't have the money to drop in the 1JZ yet, so I figured I'll get the car in running condition and save for the swap. The car has a blown headgasket, but I'm pretty sure the head isn't cracked (and if it is, i'll keep the car sitting for a while), and I just want to swap it out with a MHG for now. I was thinking just an HKS 1.2mm stopper type with ARP Bolts and Studs. I'm not familiar with taking apart the 7M, and I wanted to know if there was anything I should look out for, or anything I should know before I attempt to swap it out. I would much rather do it myself then have it done because I'm very pressed with cash right now, and I need every penny I can get for a swap. I'll be starting a new job soon so money will be on the way, but until then, all I have is $950, and the car is $650. Any kind of tips or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
- Paul

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
You can probably save yourself some money by not buying an HKS headgasket. If your 7M is not turbocharged and you don't plan on converting it then the stock headgasket and proper torque specs will be just fine for a daily driver. I would advise you to change the bolts though, use the search section of this web page to find out any other info and answers to other questions you may have. Good luck!

Khris

A

·
0 Posts
I think you'll have trouble installing both ARP headbolts and studs :p

Seriously though, as long as the stock headbolts have not been torqued over 60ish, you can reuse them, along with a OEM redesigned HG and be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol i meant bolts OR studs. Yeah I was thinking doing an OEM Style, probably would be best for now. I can't drive the car (I'm 15 by the way) but I just want it to be running so it can be taken out here and there (so the tranny and motor dont just sit and rust, you know, to keep the fluids running). I know I have a few years but I want to get something started. I'm sick of money-pit projects, and I'll go crazy If I have nothing to work on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts