Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Supra Dupra
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the headgasket on the car right now. Anything I should do at the same time???? I'm going to change the timing belt, but what else? Anything I should be looking for???

Thanks

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
plugs, intake manifold gasket, timing belt?

·
Supra Dupra
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, that's what I'm doing...water pump, valve cover gaskets. Engine was running smooth when I noticed that some white "steam" coming out of the exhaust. Took it in immediately and determined that it was the head gasket. Should I "look out" for anything though like damaged head, piston, rings, etc???
:(

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
check for warpage on the block and head, replace all gaskets and valve stem seals... and head bolts...

Ang

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hoses!
replace them all from that little 90 degree fucker in the back to the vacume hoses. check your belts
thats all I can think of for now

Steve

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
i think all the top end gaskets being changed are a given....

change your thermostat and clean up the area while youre at it. also make sure you do the hg job correctly. it sounds like you nipped the headgasket before it got bad....so your head might be ok and safe from warpage but make sure to check all the specs on it and keep it in tolerance. and yeah i would suggest using the arp head studs and torquing those beats down and you should be good to go....

also if you are doing a mhg replacement...thats a whole nother level so let us know!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
While you're doing the timing belt, do the front main oil seal on the crank. It's zero extra work, and only a few bucks for the seal... and if the one that's in there is original, you'll need to measure it's hardness on the rockwell scale.

·
Supra Dupra
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, getting all that stuff done....all of the might as well now since I'm getting the upper end removed. Unfortunately, I didn't go with the mhg. I know I should've but the shop won't warranty the work if they didn't do it OEM parts from Toyota. :( I don't plan on going crazy with my baby.....it should hold up right???:rolleyes:

·
5,467 Posts
91Supratium said:
Yea, getting all that stuff done....all of the might as well now since I'm getting the upper end removed. Unfortunately, I didn't go with the mhg. I know I should've but the shop won't warranty the work if they didn't do it OEM parts from Toyota. :( I don't plan on going crazy with my baby.....it should hold up right???:rolleyes:
it will hold up if you tell them to at the least to torque it to about 80lbs. then you should be fine if they do the rest of the job right.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
72lbs is advised on stock bolts... ive done 85, cuz i didnt know... though they are holding a lot of ppl say max is 72

·
5,467 Posts
SuprAng said:
72lbs is advised on stock bolts... ive done 85, cuz i didnt know... though they are holding a lot of ppl say max is 72
ah yes good point! glad you caught that! i was thinking arp bolts......why? because thats all i ever consider putting into engines anymore.....after being out a brand new engine because of a 1 dollar stock bolt.... :rolleyes:

·
Supra Dupra
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ARP bolts...sounds like a plan. Where can I get it though??? Any shops in Nor. Ca.??? or internet site???

·
5,467 Posts
91Supratium said:
ARP bolts...sounds like a plan. Where can I get it though??? Any shops in Nor. Ca.??? or internet site???
only way to go bro...im tellin you... ARP head studs you can get for a semi decent price on ebay.... or you can get them through mvp motorsports, titan motorsports, and im sure most local shops will have them...just make sure they are 7m-gt3 specific....

and you want the head STUDS not the BOLTS. the studs are better

1 - 16 of 16 Posts