Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
engine will not run very well, Sometimes there will be oil in the coolant or excessive pressure. Coolant in the oil. Get the car to run at normal temp and then open the radiator cap, make sure it is full to the top and watch for air bubbles, maybe rev the car a few times to see if the bubles increases. I'm sure there is more but this is from my many blown headgasket experiences.

Lawrence

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
93 twintrbo said:
Get the car to run at normal temp and then open the radiator cap, make sure it is full to the top and watch for air bubbles
Lawrence
you've gotta be joking right?? what do you want him to do, scald his face?

What you should do is remove the rad cap while the car is cold.. THEN start and run up to operating temperature and check for tons of bubbles and exhaust-like smell. An obvious sign would also be oil in the coolant, but if you see a *very* thin slight film of oil on the surface of the coolant while the car is still off that's ok. If your oil looks like a milkshake that is also an indication of a blown head gasket. Also you can get the Snap-On block test kit whcih tests for the presence of combustion gases in the coolant.

NEVER remove the radiator cap while the car is hot... even moreso if you have a blown head gasket that could be overpressurizing the cooling system.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I've never burned my face by opening the radiator cap when the engine is at normal temp. You would have to be a moron to open it right up without venting the pressure first. But your suggestion would be less harmful. don't mean to cause anyone harm by any means.

Lawrence

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
i know it's possible to vent the system without spraying coolant anywhere, but someone might interpret your suggestion of getting the car up to normal op. temp to be the same as driving for a few hours @ normal operating temp and then just removing the cap. gotta be careful with all the car n00bs that surf this forum.. no harm done (hopefully :dunno: ) :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Get yourself a cooling system pressure tester. Pressurize the system and let it sit overnight and check your drop in pressure. If it's down you have a blown hg or you'll see where it pushed out the coolant and fix the leak.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
racinghart said:
Drain the oil and check for coolant in the oil which should rise to the surface.
coolant would stay underneath the oil assuming it's not all mixed together not rise to the surface because oil is lighter than water. if the coolant and oil are mixed it will look like a chocolate milkshake.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks i will do those tonight. will i loose boost if my headgasket is blown. i have no boost

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
why don't you tell us what's making you believe you have a BHG lol... we're giving you symptoms of a BHG and how to check for it but they could be totally unrelated to your problem...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we i really dont know if it is a BHG i am just going to cheak. i have white smoke and someone said that is water and i explained all the other problems like no boost and thats it. and it is easy and cheap to check to see if there are bubbles in my radiator. i have the manifold on the way so i will still do the swap but as for the moment i am up for any sensable suggestions on what is wrong with my car
SupraTico said:
why don't you tell us what's making you believe you have a BHG lol... we're giving you symptoms of a BHG and how to check for it but they could be totally unrelated to your problem...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
It really would take one hell of a bhg to cause a no boost situation. If your seeing white smoke you are mostlikely burning coolant. Have you noticed coolant loss at all lately? Also has your engine temp been running higher? If you get a "bad" bhg you risk overheating.

Mike

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
like i said tonight i will try to check everything over with the coolant and the bubbles. but i am still leaning towards the turbos are blown.
mike91t said:
It really would take one hell of a bhg to cause a no boost situation. If your seeing white smoke you are mostlikely burning coolant. Have you noticed coolant loss at all lately? Also has your engine temp been running higher? If you get a "bad" bhg you risk overheating.

Mike

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Kinda odd that both turbo seals would go. You could pinch off each turbo water feed line one by one to see if that clears up your problem. Just grab a pair of vise grips and if the smoke stops there you go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts